Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Across the length and breadth of the world, the forces of darkness are closing in on the small border towns of the civilized races- Chaos Warriors and Ogres from the North lay siege to outlying Temple Cities of the Lizardmen, Dark Elf raiding parties attack the coastal defences of Ulthuan, and even in Cathay, marauding Kurgan throw themselves against the gates of the Great Bastion Wall. The scene is no different in the Imperial town of Geselheim, where Kislevite and Imperial refugees are pressed into service as soldiers, prepared to fight for their survival against a rampaging band of Orcs.
This is an optional scenario that you can play as part of the campaign. Depending on the outcome of this battle, players who participate will score additional "victories" for their side, although both players will count as scoring 1 automatic "victory" just for playing the scenario. The scenario is meant to be played just like any of the Narrative Scenarios from the official rulebook.

The Armies
Order is the 'defender' in this scenario. They may choose an army of any size from one of the Warhammer Armies books. The attacker will field an army equal to 1.5x the point total of the defender (so if the Order force is 1,000pts, the attacking Disorder force will be 1,500pts).

The Battlefield
Set up terrain for the battle as normal. The defender may then choose which side of the table to deploy in, and must place an additional 2 buildings, plus an additional building for every 1000pts in his force. This represents the town of Geselheim. (If you do not have enough buildings, just nominate a hill or other piece of terrain to defend, or in the worst of cases, place a suitable objective marker on the table). Each building may be no more than 12" from any of the other buildings (this is a town after all). A tower is then placed in the exact center of the battlefield, representing the Watchtower guarding the road in and out of the town.

Deployment
The defender chooses up to 25% of their list as Tower Guard. This force must include at least one unit champion to represent the Youth from the tower. The defender then deploys the rest of his army as usual for a Pitched Battle, then the Attacker deploys their army in the same way. Once the attacker has placed their army, the defender deploys the Tower Guard last- units in the Tower Guard must be placed anywhere within 6" of the Watch Tower.

First Turn
The attacker (Disorder) gets the first turn.

Game Length
The game lasts for 6 turns, or until a time limit agreed by the players is reached, whichever comes first.

Special Rules
The Little General - the unit champion nominated as part of the Tower Guard represents the single brave youth who brought order to the panicked refugees, and organized the defenses around the tower. As long as he is alive, all units nominated as part of the Tower Guard benefit from the 'Stubborn' special rule.

The Plague - the Black Death still ravages the civilized world. At the start of every turn, the defenders must roll a dice for each of their units. On a score of a 1 or 2, the unit is affected by the Plague.
If affected, the unit immediately suffers D6 S2 hits, no armor saves allowed, distributed as a shooting attack. If a 6 is rolled for the number of hits, the plague is especially virulent- add +1 to the strength of the hits, and roll again, adding the second result to the total number of hits. If a further 6 is rolled, keep going, adding +1 to the strength and another D6 hits for every 6 rolled.
Note that characters will only ever take 1 hit per turn as a result of the plague, but must still roll to see if they are affected if they are not part of a unit.

Victory Conditions
The defenders (order) are fighting to defend their village. At the end of the game, tally the number of buildings (not counting the tower) held by the Forces of Order.

Order holds all of the buildings - Counts as 2 victories
Order holds at least half the buildings - Counts as a single victory
Disorder holds at least half the buildings - Counts as a single victory
Disorder holds at least half the buildings and the Watchtower and has killed "The Little General" in combat (does not count if he is killed by the Plague, by a spell, by shooting, for by being run down while fleeing) - Counts as 2 victories

I have tested this scenario on both sides. It may seem a bit daunting for both forces - the Defenders are outnumbered, and dealing with the effects of the plague (although I was playing High Elves, and even at S2 vs T3 the plague wasn't very debilitating), but the enemy has a hard road ahead of them, having only 6 turns to get past the 'Stubborn' Tower Guard and then oust the defenders from at least half of the buildings. On both sides of the battle, it was a close, hard fought battle, and fun for both sides. Hopefully a few of you will play it, I think it really captures the position of the forces of Order right now.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The question was asked, so I just wanted to clarify - this scenario can be played by any combination of forces, just like a normal campaign game. I was using Order and Disorder as examples here, and if you are the Order player, you should be on defense, although it's not mandatory. If you want to play as Order attacking a Disorder or Chaos village, that's perfectly alright. Similarly, if you want to play Disorder vs. Chaos, or Chaos vs. Order, feel free. The idea is to get in a game you wouldn't normally play, and have some fun with it.
Has anyone tried this scenario out yet? Remember to let me know that you played this particular scenario so that I can award the bonus points.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Be sure to let us know how your game plays out Jackmoddle! It'll be a tough battle for the Empire, Warriors are adept at hacking their way into buildings- you'll probably want 'The Little General' and his force to buy as much time as they can for the rest of your army to defend the buildings.

Haha, I know what you mean Borak. I have an Empire army on my shelves collecting dust. They're fun to play- and they're actually the only time I've seen an army themed on "jack of all trades, master of none" actually be effective in a GW game. I like the kid too, I'm not sure if he'll play a larger role in the story, maybe he will - I guess it depends on the outcomes of people playing this scenario, if the majority of 'The Little Generals' die, then the kid might not make it through, if he survives, then who knows?

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
I hope so, he's quite an interesting character. I might just make a kid model anyway, sort of a mascot for the army!! Empire look like very fun/characterful army to play. Unfortunately I'm not sure how effective they will be with no war machines :S

Anyway, enough derailing of thread!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts