Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: Hey guys! I've got a couple of questions considering my IG army.

Currently, i have an infantry platoon consisting in 3 squads and a command section. I also have a armored fist squad and a demolisher tank. The only heavy weapons i've bought so far are a lascannon and an autocannon.

How should i spend the rest of my money?

·
Registered
64 Posts
The first thing you need is more infantry. You need one more platoon. You also need more heavy weapons. Maybe a couple more lascannons. You also have to buy a standard Leman Russ, because with the demolisher you haven't got the range. When this is done, you need some artillery. Decide if you wan't the basilisk or the griffon. I use the Basilisk myself. It works pretty well for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got 3 squads and an armoured fist allready. I'm thinking about maybe expanding with one or two infantry squads.

Which hvy weapons should i pick? I was hinking that heavy bolters would do as anti-infantry while some of my squads in the rear are equipped with lascannons.

I was thinking about giving plasmaguns to all the infantry squads in my army (exept for the armoured fist squad, which will have a flamer.) what do u think about this?

I think that i'm gonna buy an Eversor assasin to deal with hth units. Perhaps i will make my command HQ REALLY hth orientated as well featuring 4 flamers, a tooled up colonel and a tooled up commisar.

I'll get myself somre ratlings, for those pesky wraithlords. Besides, they can pinn down Orks and the like.

Demolisher? low-ranged? Hah! i've got two plasmacannons and a lascannon on mine, so ill do some decent damage before the enemies get close! :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
First of all, for your haevy weapons, the main porpuse of these is to knock-out vehicles, your assault weapons should be used for anti-infantry.

Giving your A.F.squads flamers is okay but, if you are going to use them to get very colse to the enemy, I would recommend a meltagun, because if your A.F.sqaud doesn't have the ability to knock out large opponents, your screwed.

For your Eversor assaisin that's a good idea, but for your Command HQ, you really want them to have 4 FLAMERS??? That would mean you would have to get really close and let's face it, Imperial Gaurd suck at close combat peroid. Giving them 2 flamers is okay but at least get a plasma gun, grenade launcher or meltagun.

Ratlings are okay.

Your entire army cannot depend on 1 Demolisher, but if you are not going to take Commissar_Cragg's advice and get a Leman Russ at least get another demolisher.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You need more tanks. Why do you not wan't to use a standard Leman Russ? Personally I think it's great. On the demolisher you get better side and rear armour, plasma or melta side sponsons, but you still ain't got 72" with ordnance! And that rocks. :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, two blast plasma cannons aren't much weaker than a battle cannon, are they?

about the HQ, issue, my idea is tom make it very HTH. I mean, A colonel with a power fist together with a power-fist equipped commisar can deal a lot of punishment, (even though they're not that tough). The flamers are very cheap in points and good for softing light armoured opponents up before u asault them.

Why should i add a melta-gun to the AF squad? U have to stand still to use it! The AF is supposed to be a mobile unit!

·
Registered
485 Posts
You don't have to stand still to use a melta gun, it's an assult wpn

·
Registered
34 Posts
Expanding IG

First off do you want quality or quanity? All my IG are Catachan Deathworld Vets. This gives them +1 to their WS and as long as they dont move they can see and shoot thru 12" of woods or jungle, they suffer no movement penalty when moving thru jungle/woods and have a 4+ save in jungle/woods. All this for +3 points per model.
Also, the Catachan snipers may use Deathworld toxins which gives them a re-roll on failed "to wound" rolls.
Get some some barrage weapons. Any weapon with a "Guess" range counts. If even one wound is suffered by the enemy, they have to make a pined test. And an enemy unit that cant do anything for one turn is a target.
The Evesor is a great choice! I love this guy.
Think about a unit of Ogryn. Expensive, but with three wounds each a good deal. Also, just seeing these guys turn up on the battlefield gives some commanders fits.
As for tanks, go with the Vanquisher. An AT round at 72" str 9 AP 2 + the option of using the ordanance round. And any tank should have crew escape mechanisms.
Demolisher is great for City Fights, which is what it was designed for, but a range of 24". I'll stand off with lascannons and take you out.
Think about aircraft. Esapically if no else is using them. Normal flyer with twin linked lascannons + twin linked auto-cannons with long barrels. Everything with a range of 48", and the rules are really simple.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not much weaker, but smaler templates.. You get half the range, lesser strength, but better ap and you get two shots. So I guess it's a point of view. I still think that you need more ranged ordnandce! :D What terrain do you usually play with. Open or tight? If you won't be able to se your enemy before they are within 36", then it's fine. But if you can sit there and watch your enemy advance from 72" and you won'
t be able to shot at them! Wouln't that be frustrating? (I hope nobody plays with that open terrain :) ) So I guess the Demolisher has it's uses and the standard LR has it's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are u allowed to play with deathworld veterans in anordinary IGarmy, or does it have to be a "catachan" army without tanks and stuff?

yeah I WILL include a LR in my army, but i figured that the twin-plasmacannons are allmost as good at long range as an ordinary battle cannon. Besides, the demolisher gives u that extra omph when those naughty nids or termies got really close. And for another thing, the demolisher can be used in a more offensive manner than the LR. Anyway, i suggest that the discussion considering tanks end here.

So ok, this is my army:

A really HTH orientated HQ-squad

Eversor assasin

some ratlings

infantry platoon with 4 squads. all equipped with hvy bolters and lascannons.

AF squad with hvy bolter and meltagun.

Hellhound

Demolisher

LR battle tank

Here's a good question. Should i add a mortar-squad, a fire-support squad, an anti-tank squad, a griffon or a basilisk????

·
Registered
34 Posts
Deathworld Vets, Terrain

Yes, you may include deathworld vets in any IG army. See page 2 of the Catachan codex. There are of course some rules governing this, but as long as you obide by them then your fine.
Remember also, that nothing is written in stone. Even GW will tell you that a set of rules is more a guideline than gospel. As long as you let your opponet know whats going on.
Our group has a set of three house rules that we always play with, and any newcomer is made aware of these, If they object then we dont play the house rules and go by what the new comer is most comfortable with.
Our house rules are based mostly on common sence type situations and are not ment to give any one player an advantage.
For some reason most of our younger players like open terrain.
I do not play an armored company in city fight. Thats called suicide. :)
"Every day above ground is a good day"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My excperience of the bassy is that the indirect fire is somewhat useless, since u cant fire when the anemy are closer to you than 36".

And when put in the open, the bassy tends to be destroyed. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
2 Questions

Hey guys my IG army is pretty small but i have 39 Catachan fights 1 Sentinel 1 Lascannon 1 Heavy Bolter 3 Snipers and 1 Vindicare Assassin. I have 2 questions. First can I make my normal Deathwold Vets. into Catachan Devils, and my second question is what should I spend my money on now?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.