Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now, I was looking through my codex when I stumbled upon the white scars rules, I've seen them thousands of times but never really took any notice towards them, until now. I have seen them in battle once or twice but have never really took to much interest.

I have played many armies in Wh40k (nearly all), except an army which is mostly bike-oriented. So I have decided, why not? I might as well give it a go! Now I was wondering if any of you have had any past experiences with the white scars or any bike army. Also, do you have any suggestions on how it should be played, or any information that could help me in any way possible. One more thing, are the rules in the codex the only rules assigned to white scars? I am asking because on the white scars bikes boxed set it states that a white scars unit can have 3 to 10 bikes in a squad, while the codex rules for white scars states that you can use only 3 to 5 bikes per squad. Whats going on with that?

Man, this is going to cost me a chunk of green, for 20 bikes (4 troop units and only 640pts), it'll cost me $366.66 CDN!
Anyone have bikes up for trade or sale?:D

HPA

·
Registered
229 Posts
Look into ebay - theres usually tons of bikes for sale and dirt cheap. Cause sm bikes look good but arent that great in game terms.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
OK whitescars- one of my sons armies, my personnal biker armies are Saim hann and I have a bike heavy night lords army.

The discrepancy (5 models or 10 in a squad) comes from teh fact that pre codex SM latest release Whitescars had a chapter approved entry that made them very unquie, however this is clearly superceded by the traits detailed in Codex SM, stick with those rules, ignore comments on boxes that are left over from the CA days

I have spent some time trying to teach my son how to use scars, this stems from about 4 years ago or so, until then I had seen WS armies fighting using a biker heavy marine army- great but to me a littel iffy, why not use straight marines? the beauty with scars is when you hit the table with an entire bike army, move the whole thing like a mob.

Basically the tactic is just that, use your speed to concentrate your army on a part of his, zoom up, rapid fire then assault.

As I say I saw a guy do this, it was a three way battle, he basically went to one end of the first opponent, worked his way down the line, then moved on to the next army, took out both armies, it was an epiphany, you walked away thinking "that is what whitescars shouls be played like"

now there are scars players who play with more than just bikes, and I am not saying that isnt valid, it is and it may well be effective, point was this was what scars fluff was all about, talking to the guy, the main advice he gave, other than the above, was not to get distracted by other stuff (like wow a vindicator or whirlwind would bw nice, or a pred annih to take out tanks), point he made was this, cos of the points cost for bikes, you were already low on numbers, you need to stay as a mob, if you split up, or have something left behind, you are allowing him to deal with your army peacemeal.

Thats all folks

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
My advice to you is to not go with white scars. If you want to play a biker list, definately go with either a Be Swiftf as the Wind DIY chapter or with DA Ravenwing.

The reason being, bikes being so maneuverable, you control the flow of the game (or should anyways) as such, counter attack and true grit arent very useful. True grit especially as bikers dont have bolters and the ability, as far as I know, cant be used in conjunction with the bike mounted bolters. Going with a dIY chapter, a succesor chapter of the white scars even, will allow you to pick a traight that will actually help you, and more importantly, play to your abilities.

Aside from the Ravenwing is the other biker army. They are even more expensive then white scar bikers, and only have access to bikes attack bikes and speeders but fortunately have some abilities that make them a force to be re3ckonned with. IMPO Ravenwing is the way to go, course, I play them, so thats granted.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks all for the comments.

ChaosBrynn, I will take the ravenwing into consideration. I will just look into them a little more.
Ok, now when I play 40k, I usually play to win (as I enter alot of tourys), with bike armies I understand, as cheredanine said, that the only way to win is with the perfect strategy, or one close to it. But now I'm asking in general are bike aremies (SM ones) a competitive force to be reckoned with on the 40k table? Or are they just another fluffy chapter that can't hold its ground?

Thanks again
HPA

·
Registered
178 Posts
convert

White scars rock ( them and RG are pals) make sure u do trike and long suspension conveshoins and try making a humvee ir two out of speeders gd luk!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
High Priest Avion said:
Ok thanks all for the comments.

ChaosBrynn, I will take the ravenwing into consideration. I will just look into them a little more.
Ok, now when I play 40k, I usually play to win (as I enter alot of tourys), with bike armies I understand, as cheredanine said, that the only way to win is with the perfect strategy, or one close to it. But now I'm asking in general are bike aremies (SM ones) a competitive force to be reckoned with on the 40k table? Or are they just another fluffy chapter that can't hold its ground?

Thanks again
HPA
Due to the low model count in bike armies, your tactics do need to be spot on. Fortunately, bike armies allow for many more tactical options then normal chapters. I, like you, play to win. I chose Ravenwing because they have all the offense you could posibly need coupled with incredible maneuverability. If you are tactically able, then this type of army can do really well for you in tournaments. That is the point Cheredanine was trying to make. It is more difficult then a normal chapter, but when done correctly, it is beautiful to watch. There are more ways to do it the just the "quick mob" tactic. Though the idea of bringing all of your force to bear on a small part of his does hold true thorughout. That is where the maneuverability comes into play.

Reactions: High Priest Avion

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chaosbrynn said:
Due to the low model count in bike armies, your tactics do need to be spot on. Fortunately, bike armies allow for many more tactical options then normal chapters. I, like you, play to win. I chose Ravenwing because they have all the offense you could posibly need coupled with incredible maneuverability. If you are tactically able, then this type of army can do really well for you in tournaments. That is the point Cheredanine was trying to make. It is more difficult then a normal chapter, but when done correctly, it is beautiful to watch. There are more ways to do it the just the "quick mob" tactic. Though the idea of bringing all of your force to bear on a small part of his does hold true thorughout. That is where the maneuverability comes into play.
I understand what you are clearly saying chaosbrynn.
I support it and think the ravenwing would match my personality totally. All offense, win at all costs, and challenging to command. I think I have made my choice as to what Bike army I wish to pursue. Their models are unique and their skills are unmatched, I'm going to start the Ravenwing.

Wow, I never thought two people could pose such a strong position as to another player's army choice!

Thank everyone, especially ChaosBrynn and Cheredanine.
HPA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts