Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking at the way GW packages their minis, and tried to put together a viable 2000 point list while using the smallest number of purchases. Here is what I managed to come up with:

HQ:

CCS
voxcaster
camo cloaks
3x grenade launcher

Lord Commissar - to keep the CO's mind on task
carapace armor - shiny
power wpn - for striking dramatic poses and pointing out targets

Troops:

Infantry Platoon 1
Infantry squad 1 lascannon, 1 grenade launcher, voxcaster. commissar - keep the rabble in line
Infantry squad 2 lascannon, 1 grenade launcher
Hvy weapon squad 3x las cannon
Hvy weapon squad 3x msl launcher
Hvy weapon squad 3x mortar
Hvy weapon squad 3x autocannon
Hvy weapon squad 3x heavy bolter
SWS 3x flamer
SWS 3x flamer

Infantry Platoon 2
Infantry squad 1 lascannon, 1 grenade launcher, voxcaster. commissar (keep the rabble in line)
Hvy weapon squad 3x msl Launcher
Hvy weapon squad 3x mortar
SWS 3x flamer
SWS 3x flamer

Heavy:

LRBT w/ PC sponsons - sponsons are a point sink, but pillboxing in terrain might work

LRBT

This list tries to maximize the amount of fire power with heavy weapons. I intend to combine the infantry squads into 20 man squads for ease of control with orders and commissar support. The SWSs are mainly to deter, and or occupy deepstriking or assaulting troops. They also work for sucking up the excess flamers on the sprues.The Russ's feel mandatory for fluff and lobbing pie plates around is fun. The tanks are also support against massed heavy infantry. As written the list totals exactly 2000 points. I appreciate any pointers folks might have.

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
Not a fan of the different HWS, but I guess you're trying to get the most out of the sprues so I guess I'll have to suck it up :p

Lord Com doesn't seem necessary.

I'd look into foot mobs of fighty dudes with commissars to lock up assault troops.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Hate to have to break this to you, but...

You can be viable, or you can be cheap. But not both. I'm not saying you always have to break the bank, but good competitive lists require multiples of certain models that you can only get in larger sets. So optimizing for cost alone will get in the way of putting together an effective force.

·
A 51st Century Man
1,806 Posts
Hate to have to break this to you, but...

You can be viable, or you can be cheap. But not both. I'm not saying you always have to break the bank, but good competitive lists require multiples of certain models that you can only get in larger sets. So optimizing for cost alone will get in the way of putting together an effective force.
Although I dont fully agree with Mr. Goreham's remark he does give a good point. You can not build a list with ten HWS, four SWS, four infantry squads, a command squad, a Lord Commissar, and two LRBT. The smallest amount of killpoints you can get with this list is twenty. That is way too high since most of your killpoints are HWS which in the amount you have is way too much and you wont have enough room or cover to protect them all. Now Im not saying that a foot slogging list is not possible and Im not saying you have to break the bank to do it. All Im saying is this list wont really do much in a game and it will just be a huge cluster. :rotfl:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I agree with Marrius, any killpoint missions will be nigh on impossible with this because HWS are quite flimsy in the new dex.

Also from where I'm sat the list looks illegal on the basis that there are no platoon command squads, so maybe bump one of the SWSs up to command?

Other than that you seem to fit your brief, would love to see some of your conversions for the heavy weapon squads not using the tripods.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Although I dont fully agree with Mr. Goreham's remark he does give a good point. You can not build a list with ten HWS, four SWS, four infantry squads, a command squad, a Lord Commissar, and two LRBT. The smallest amount of killpoints you can get with this list is twenty. That is way too high since most of your killpoints are HWS which in the amount you have is way too much and you wont have enough room or cover to protect them all. Now Im not saying that a foot slogging list is not possible and Im not saying you have to break the bank to do it. All Im saying is this list wont really do much in a game and it will just be a huge cluster. :rotfl:
Hey, I'm not saying that he has to go out and spend $1000 on new models. But to give an example, most of his heavy/special weapons should be autocannons and grenade launchers for best effect on the field. So he's either got to buy more heavy weapons squad boxes or go parts-shopping on eBay to get them. Either way, he'll end up spending more on models than in his current plan.

If not, he'll be sacrificing list efficiency for $$$ efficiency. It's a simple matter of trade-offs. You can't optimize for all goals at once. Something's gotta give. You can find ways to be $$$ efficient with a given list, but the list really has to come first or your game performance will suffer.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'll review the list. I forgot to post the PCS for the Inf platoons, but they are on my army builder list. Ideally the HWS would be a mix of autocannons and lascannons. I'd like to add in a medusa, and or a griffon at some point, but I have not managed to locate any models for them. I've done a slightly list below.

HQ:

CCS
voxcaster
camo cloaks
3x grenade launcher

Troops:

Veteran Squad 2x meltagun, hvy flamer, demolitions, chimera

Infantry Platoon 1
PCS 4x grenade launcher
Infantry squad 1 lascannon, 1 grenade launcher, voxcaster. commissar - keep the rabble in line

Infantry Platoon 2
PCS 2x grenade launcher
Infantry squad 1 lascannon, 1 grenade launcher, voxcaster. commissar (keep the rabble in line)

Fast Attack:

Scout Sentinel autocannon, camo netting

Heavy:

LRBT w/ PC sponsons - sponsons are a point sink, but pillboxing in terrain might work

LRBT

Ordinance Battery

Griffon camo net
Medusa camo net

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Lascannons cost twice what autocannons do, and don't kill transports one bit better. If you're counting on them for killing AV13/14, be warned that each individual lascannon has only a 3% chance of killing AV14 (6% for AV13). Orders make it 5-6% So you're better off switching to autocannons in your squads and buying some meltas for the points difference.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would this be an improved iteration? It adds 3 more autocannons with the sentinels, heavy bolters add some anti-infantry punch to the inf platoons, and upgrading the russes to demolishers improves the odds against av 13 and 14. Is there anywhere aside from FW to get the ordinance models?

HQ:

CCS
voxcaster
camo cloaks
3x grenade launcher

Troops:

Infantry Platoon 1
PCS 4x grenade launcher

Infantry Platoon 2
PCS 4x grenade launcher
Hvy weapon squad 3x hvy bolter

Fast Attack:

Heavy:

Leman Russ Demolisher

Leman Russ Demolisher

Ordinance Battery

Griffon camo net
Medusa camo net

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
HQ:

CCS
voxcaster
camo cloaks
3x grenade launcher
I'm not a big fan of Voxes, the 6" range makes it only a notch above useless to me.

Troops:

I don't think that Chimelta Vets need demolitions. The heavy flamers aren't bad, but you may not need them depending on the metagame in your area.

To me, the best place to put demolitions is in squads jumping out of Valks.

Infantry Platoon 1
PCS 4x grenade launcher

Infantry Platoon 2
PCS 4x grenade launcher
Hvy weapon squad 3x hvy bolter
Heavy bolters used to be essential when I ran my gun line, but I think their time has mostly passed. Personally I'd take autocannons instead. The problem is that Autocannons have duality (Troops + Tanks), while Heavy Bolters can only kill troops or (at most) Ork Trukks. And it's easy enough to kill hordes with flame weapons up close.

Fast Attack:

I'm a big fan of Sentinels, but this config will cause a roll conflict. One of the things that really sets Sentinels apart from a HWS is that you can move them around in battle. Another is that they can be used to block assaulters that you can't immediately handle. But camo netting only works if your Sentinel didn't move in it's previous turn.

Heavy:

Leman Russ Demolisher

Leman Russ Demolisher

Ordinance Battery

Griffon camo net
Medusa camo net
Personally, I'd drop the Griffon and add another Medusa. Or a Hellhound.

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
I'd second kgoreham's suggestions on this. HB -> Autocannons and ditching the camo cloaks help a lot.

I'd just ditch the Sentinels and a Griffon to pick up a Hellhound/Devil Dog or two. More mobile armor and burny/melty death never hurts.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ok, after reading the feedback I've come up with a hybrid list, foot infantry with mechanized elements. I plan to run 20 man squads in the infantry platoons. This configuration seems to offer massed firepower for infantry targets and light vehicles, and mechanized elements to deal with heavy armor. I appreciate and further feedback or tweaking. thanks for the feedback so far, it's been a great help.

HQ:
CCS Lord Castellan Creed, vox, hwt w/ autocannon, camo cloaks, and 1 grenade launcher

Troops:
Veteran Squad, 2x meltagun, 1 hvy flamer, chimera

Infantry platoon
PCS hwt w/ autocannon, grenade launcher

Infantry squad hwt w/ autocannon, vox, grenade launcher, commissar
Infantry squad hwt w/ autocannon, grenade launcher

Infantry platoon
PCS hwt w/ autocannon, grenade launcher

Elite: Guardsman Marbo

Heavy Support:

Demolisher w/ hvy flamer

Demolisher w/ hvy flamer

Demolisher w/ hvy flamer

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The list is getting much better, but...

2 Demolishers is more than enough at 2K. I'd trade the third one out for a Hellhound with a hull multi-melta.
I appreciate all the feedback. It has been very informative. I am tempted to keep the third demolisher given that often I play versus a necron player with an affinity for multiple monoliths. On the whole, I am much happier with the list.

Thanks again.:beer:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts