Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I play Dark Elves and dwarfs, and I'm not fond of the lack-of-tactics required by dwarfs, but I'm quiet fond of the way dark elves play...

Problem is, I've a whole bunch of cash, and like 6 months till the new army book for dark elves come out, so I thought I'd try a new army...

I was debating between tomb kings or brets. The only reason I'd really play brits is because I love to paint their models...tomb kings sound more my playing style as brits seem to 'point and click'.

So my question is, do tomb kings depend more on tactics and less on brute strength of units, or are they as lame as the new VC?

Also, their magic interests me a lot -- is is able to be imploied against armies regularly? especially is 2000 pt games?

A friend of mine at the local shop said that TKs were either all magic or all fighter...is this true? Feed back is appreciated, it's a big decision, getting a new army, and I'd like all the info I can get from other TK players...

I need to buy the TK book, but I've yet to order it... I already have the brit book, and they're neat...

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Brets are a very simple army.. TK are a lot more advanced, and do require more tactics, but they are an army that once you master them they are very powerful, especially in larger battles. (2k+)

You are best off going magic heavy with TK, they almost demand it with the extremely reliable incantations and relentless nature of their spells. Plus the magic gives huge boosts to the rest of the army, it is not meant to be used offensively at all but help the usually slow and not too powerful units of the TK.

You cannot rely on brute strength for TK, you need to get the whole army to work together and get flank charges off, use hammer and anvil tactics with the big blocks of skeletons and the harder hitting stuff. They are easier to manage than DE, but certainly harder than Dwarfs and Brets. Overall I think they are a very fun army with some fantastic models.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Well, youre already decided :) But ill chip in a little anyway...

TK are a vvery tactical army in their own right, they are very unique within Fantasy. They have some Strength, but Magic really is the key to their success, you need to really work your army around it. All Magic or All Fighter wont work, you need a god balance. Too much or little of either offsets the rest of the army, rendering it useless. Once you learn to play the army well, and have a list that matches you, then they are the most reliable, and one of the strongest Armies in Fantasy.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
There are many ways to play the TK, and it really depends on what style you are looking for. I'd get a bit of a mixture of models and play some small games, maybe proxy a bit too, and see what you like.

You can go magic and shooting heavy and play really defensive, or you can go construct heavy, or you can go fast and hard hitting, or a combination in a mixed list. Different people want different things from the army.

Avoid the cavalry though, they are really quite useless despite the 1% of TK players that say otherwise, most of us won't touch them.

I would definitely get a couple of units of chariots, they are awesome. Carrion have never let me down, scorpions see use in practically every list, Ushabti are a pretty sweet unit if you want some of them too. As for core, don't equip skeletons with spears because they die too easily, they are meant to hold for as long as possible. Hand weapon and shield or bow, go for a good mixture to start with until you decide what you like better.

Bone giants see very little use, SSC's are great and the casket of souls can be a nice addition too. Icon bearers are pretty much not worth it, the other character choices are great though.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Unlike normal giants, they crumble when they lose combat. They also have pretty average weapon skill and terrible initiative, tend to attract a lot of fire, and 3 Ushabti are cheaper, give more wounds, higher leadership and more attacks at the same strength. They're not useless though, some people use them well.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would have to agree with many of the previous statements about how magic is great and all for the TK's. But they army is built so you will always have some sort of magic and you can make a magic heavy one or just an average army. I typically use an average army....our not soo much magic heavy(LHP=magic heavy to me). I typically use two liche priests and a prince and king. This alone pumps out a decent arsenal of "power" dice for magic, but letting you be able to smack the enemy down. One reason i love this army is the fact that not only priests cast, but prince/kings do too.

As for units, its been pretty much said which to get for a 2k army. I would like to say though a casket has kinda two uses in a game and the enemy gets to decide. Either your casket is spent to destroy the enemy(if he lets you ever use it) or its spent to waster 2-3 dispell dice. Either way its nice and I just recently decided to take one for every game.

Also, the bone giant....our one debatable unit in the army. Is it worth it? Some say yes, but the majority say no. I have one and have used it a few times and learned this: If there is a bolt thrower/cannon dont take. I use the bone giant for flanking/support. Rarely does it take a unit on by itself. The model looks damn cool too.... lol.

·
7,143 Posts
The BG does look good on paper, but consider in game, its a Large Target, and with cannons etc doing D3 / D6 wounds to it... also UnsAssault only works on the charge, and it is only WS3, T5. Bith these need increasing. That, or a lowering in pts cost.

As for a 1st list, id say your best bet is to take a look through the book, see what you like and make up a list, then get people to comment on it. Aim for a decent amount of magic, and decide whether you want a more offensive or defensive list before you start. Work around that and you cant go far wrong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright - cool. I will do...

Do they make a cheaper set of tomb guard other than the 5 models for 35 or w/e that is?

Also, what's the benieft of carrion vs scorp?

I also heard our calvery sucked...does that include the light stuff?

Ushatbi (sp) are neat models, I'd like them. =)

·
7,143 Posts
No cheaper TG im afraid, just buy Skellies and paint their shields blue, some decorative heads come with the plastic sprue too, so use those. Id say buy the metal TG command though.

Carrion vs Scorp... Carrion can fly, 1st turn charges, march blocking. Scorps can IFCB, have killing blow... id try to take one of each if you can, and always try for atleast 2 units with ICFB ability (look at Swarms for the second)

Heavy Cav generally suck. Light can be useful in units of 5-6, as distraction units.

Ushabti are beautiful! :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I recommend getting a battalion box. They are a much better deal, and will pretty much complete your core for a starter. I also happen to be in the 1% that likes the calvary, but you may not. The box gives you some calvary so you can try them out, and even if you don't like them, the box is still a good deal. I also recomend snagging one of ebay if you can, they can go pretty cheap.

As for Tomb Guard, they actually cost less now then they used too. Used to be $45 for 10, now its $20 for a rank box(5). Still, when you pry should put 20+ in a unit...
Here is what I did: The skelies come with a command sprue, with the only khopeshes you can snag. Save as many as possible. Also the fancy heads(-the uber one, only really need 1) and the armored chests. These, along with a more elaborate paint job, are what I used to give my guard a more armored, more well equiped look. I recommend deciding before you start building though, cause I "wasted" some of these parts.
I really like the TG models, so someday, I plan on buying them, but for now these will do, and later they just become a better equiped skelie unit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It might be possible to build TG using the torsos, legs and heads from the charioteer sprues as they are armoured and nicely detailed however GW UK have stopped selling components and sprues seperately so this is now less of an option financially... another way for the company to make more money for a poorer service!

Hex

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That sucks...

I was thinking of splurging (as I have a bunch of money - I know, I bitched about the TG being 5 for 20, but w/e) and getting the 25th anvierasry box set, becayseI really like the bone giant model, even if it's useless, and I really like the usbhati models too...and two scrops is very nice =). I was thinking maybe I'd ebay one of the bone giants and maybe a couple of the ushbati but I dunno...

·
7,143 Posts
Nah, don't waste your money on that box. You'll only have to sell on 2-6 Ushabti and 1-2 BGs... No idea why they gave us a Construct box, probably thinking towards the new fantasy Apoc... meh, give us 10 SSCs!

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
No idea why they gave us a Construct box
Cause it's what they were overstocked on? =)

I'll vouch for TK as a non TK player as well. I've never had a dull or predictable game against them. Ushtabi are awesome as models and as a unit. The only bad thing I'd ever say about the army is it seems, from my not excessive experience, to really suffer badly under 2,000 pts. I find a TK army without its lord choices very easy to defeat. (That could also just be that non of the players are my club are used to smaller games and they just don't know what to do with the list =) )

·
7,143 Posts
We don't suffer badly, we just dont have or full power available.
The major reason for this view is the fact TK are a very unique army, and most players (including myself) struggle for victory as we build our armies. By the time we reach 2K more options open up, allowing more and hence putting together all the gained knowledge and tactics the army turns out to do quite well. Now if you go back and apply this to smaller games, you come off quite a bit better than you did that long time ago when you 1st began.
Basically, you just need to not let the possibly early defeats put you off the army. Things will only get better :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ya... I was afraid they were all just overstock..

That's obviously what they're doing with the Dark Elves...( my other army)

They're getting a new cold one model (supposedly) so they make a army box set with, get this, 30 CoK and 4 charriots, and other models on cold ones...

nice...real smooth.

I really like the bone giants though, hehe... =) They're such a cool model...

Has anyone tried them with a big bow? How's that work... (ouch bs 3?)

·
7,143 Posts
I only have 1BG, so ive never used the actual Construct list with schneschesmet...s (sp?? lol)

Would be interesting and fun to do, though i think you'd need to play 2.5K at least to get a decent list from it.

Problem with the BG Bolter bows is they BGs are still BS2, so i think combat will be a necessary role for them too if you want then to get anywhere close to killing more that their costs worth.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts