Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A big part of the Black Templar fluff I'm trying to come up with had to do with a HUGE starship that actually held the survivors of three worlds in it, (there planets were decimated by Tyranid hordes.) My question is whether or not the Imperium could or even would aid these homeless billions by creating a vast city and also add a Black Templar training and deployment station, all onto this colossal ship? My current "specs" made this ship 50 miles long and 5 miles wide. Is this "realistic" or too much for humans to even consider building?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apparently no one has an idea as to whether or not it's possible... come on, SOMEONE must have a clue.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I dont think they would, they would prolly just abandon the project halfway through, imagine the drive to work, 50 miles to and from? i dunno, maybe they had a whole world working on it...... <_<

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the fluff was basically that a star system was nearly wiped out by Tyranid hordes before the Ultramarines came in and drove them back. With only one planet left and the survivors of the other four overloading this one planet, they fear for the sustainability of the small ball of dirt: and so the Exodus ex Machina Project is born, (name pending till I can find a cooler Latin title.)

·
Registered
857 Posts
This is really apropos of nothing, but I'm glad to see how many people have followed the link at the bottom of my signature and taken the test, and posted the results on their signature. As far as the fluff goes- as Inquisitor. He'll snidely respond, "The largest Imperial ship has a crew size of 8,000 blah blah blah." But, sure, go ahead. I think it's conceivable- or it could be made of different, smaller ships, like the Unholy Harbinger

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did you ever read the Gothic rule book? While they don't come out and say how big the ships are that I could find easily, they are really big. You could probably get away with saying that a bunch of people on a planet build a huge ship to flee on, I think you'd want to make sure that there is a shipyard in orbit or something, otherwise things get a little weird :)

You can make up (nearly) anything in 40k and it would probably be acceptable... unless you were messing with canon... then most people stop paying attention :)

Oh yeah, Deciever, I love your avatar guy

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a side note, yeah, the test was fun, thanks for showing it for me. :)

Also, thanks for your help on the whole ship issue. I'll be sure to add a shipyard, though in my head I kept imagining it's butt on the ground and point piercing through the atmosphere. :blink:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I suppose you could have it on the surface of the planet, it just wouldn't be any kind of traditional imperial vessel (which it really isn't already :) ). You could make the planet a forgeworld or have a shipyard which they either used to build the ship in orbit, or took the stuff from the shipyard/forges, and built it on the surface.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Don't underestimate, or over estimate the sizes and populations.
If you ever read the planet classes you will se that most standard
civilized and "normal" planets are home to some maximum 1 billion people.
Everything is possible.
Anyone here ever seen the Forgeworld model "Demiburg Stronghold ship"?
Just imagine if it was present in that system how many it could take.

·
Venerable Old One
1,510 Posts
God, just because you made a mistake and pointed it out, Deciever. No need to get all *****y about it.

Its possible, but not really acceptable to the hardcore puritans like myself.

The Eldar have more of a penchant for building huge ships.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, if I estimated that these planets were filled closely to the max, say 990,000,000 or so, and about 800,000,000 were killed, leaving roughly 110,000,000 from each, and the initial world still has about 800,000,000, they would really pour all resources into replacing the worlds for the sake of giving a home for the 440,000,000 people left homeless. At the same time, a Black Templar Crusade would "volunteer" to man this ship, mainly because of it's size, value and space inside.

To house that many people, in case you're wondering, their would probably be three cities piled one on top of another. The Black Templar would have training stations throughout the entire ship.

So a living area of 750 square miles for 440,000,000... I think it could work. :D

Now let's say they did so happen to have a space station for constructing ships, and also gained additional funding/support from the Imperium for this project, due to the ship's additional military value. As long as it's doable within 19 years, I'm ok....

·
Venerable Old One
1,510 Posts
Unless you would want 333 people per square yard, then yes, by all means go ahead.

(440,000,000 / 750 = 586,666 people per square mile. 586,666 / 1750 = 333 people/ square yard.)

Is that figure merely civilian population?

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you have a problem fitting that many people in to a square distance, just throw in a third dimension, and you should be safe. Just make it some reasonable number of miles high, and you might be able to fit that many people in.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For one thing, as Google.com tells me, a mile is 1760 yards, not 1750. ^_^

Secondly, if the other dimension, (5 miles wide horizontally, then 5 miles wide vertically,) was equally as wide as the first, that means each city would be about 1.6 miles tall, (with that in mind, I'll make it a five-layered city, giving 1 mile of airspace on each level.) Well, let's see how it works with these new figures, keeping the 440 million people in mind.

440,000,000 / 1,250 = 352,000 people per mile.

352,000 / 1760 = 200 people per square yard.

Now, if a building is 5,000 feet tall, (allowing 280 feet of airspace above,) and each floor is about 10 feet tall, giving us 500 floors. Now let's say a building is perfectly square, (base-wise,) and the dimensions were 20 yards by 20 yards, leaving us with 400 square yards in one building:

200 * 400 = 80,000

80,000 / 500 = 160

So it's 160 people per floor. If each little living quarter was about 40 square yards, that would be 16 people per living quarter.

The list goes on and on, but we could assume that yes, it COULD work, but it would be quite a tight little living unit, (not that the peasants should complain, they're secure in the glory of the Imperium!) If anything I can boost the dimensions to 20 x 20 miles instead of 5 x 5 for the width of the ship, making it 4 people per living quarter... Hoo-boy, all this math makes me dizzy. 8|

Oh, and if I screwed up somewhere, not only am I not suprised, please point it out.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Numbers... so many numbers... it hurts my head... sure, it seems feasible. I like my multi-ship idea, as it makes sense that civilians owning ships would dock onto the ever-growing space colony, and eventually become a fixture. Also, when calculating living space, you need to remember that a ship is not a huge hollow bubble. There are engines, and life support systems, and etc. This all has to be taken into account.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The multi-ship idea is the most feesable in my opinion. If almost each person brings a ship and wields it on that you could have one masive space hulk. And for people that didn't have ships the massive transport ships could hold a whole lot. Not only that put the really big transports could contain farms and other food producing facilties. You could also have all the human waste reused and made into food...ewww.

·
Registered
696 Posts
wow dude I cant believe you did the numbers.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took the numbers into the account, adding the engine requirement, Black Templar barracks and training centers, as well as commerce and industrial buildings, as well as pollution processing plants....

So I decided I'd make it 500 miles long and 20 miles wide and tall. :ph34r:

Basically, the idea is just to entertain myself... even if the idea seems utterly impossible.

On a side note, I have to ask: Can a forge world move some operations to a space station nearby? If so, can it also gain support of nearby Forge Worlds?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Be a bitch if it crossed a planet killer. :D
Anything is possible except for one thing surviving Rosie o' Donnell strip :eek:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're crazy man, Rosie's hot! :ph34r:

Well, this string is pretty dead.... a lock would be nice. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.