Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What agency has the power to authorize a Writ of Sanction Extremis (Exterminatus)? I know that an Inquisitor can recommend it and I assume because of the size of the Imperium that the High Lords don't have to approve it. Is there any background material in one of the books on Exterminatus? I remember reading it somewhere...maybe in the BBB, but I can't find it.

I've read that Exterminatus includes the use of virus bombs as well as atomics. Would these planets be repopulated after the radiation decays? Hundreds of years? Thousands?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Search the web, there are some sights that have fluff on it. I doubt the planet would be repopulated because they also use fire missles that burn the atmosphere. They would have to live in hives or remake an atmosphere. Also, who knows what evil that lurked in the planet turned the population against the Emperor?

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think that Inquisitors don't have to ask to kill a planet. I think GKs can just go into a world and kill everything, but I don't know.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I dont think an Inquisitor has to really get permission to order exterminatus. But I am sure the Inquisition and the High Lords can give permission also.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have heard it dpends on a planet. All but the absolute highest-level Inquisitors need permission before "exterminating" a hive world. But an agri-world is OK.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Read the Inquisition War Trilogy, it is quite old and makes references to stuff that strictly speaking hasn't been accepted for a long time now but they have been re released and are cracking reads. In the first book Jaq Draco the Inquisitor kind of demands an Exterminatus of Stalinvast (there is a twist which I won't elaborate upon) There was no suggestion that his demand would be gainsaid and Stalinvast was a hive world so go figure.

I think Virus bombs are accepted as de rigeur according to this which digest all organic matter then detonate the gases created in this digestion to utterly scourge the planet down almost to the bedrock leaving no biosphere at all.

I suppose that the planet as a barren planetoid is still technically habitable but why bother unless there is huge resources of a valuable and non organic variety. You would certainly have to create harsh environment habitats and why bother when you can just go out and rape an Eldar Maiden World somewhere?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Imperial commanders can also order a planet to be destroyed. In the eye of terror usarkar creed ordered that st josmanes hope (military prison) had its reactors overloaded so it exploded. I think that sometimes an exterminatus does not mean that everything on the planet and its atmosphere is destroyed sometimes it means that the planet itself is destroyed.

Abbadon can destroy planets with the planet killer although he doesnt need the authority. In eye of terror he destroyed macharia although debris from it smashed the planet killer and nobody knows what happened to it. Well thats the latest ive heard anyway. It has been reported destroyed a few times but always comes back although being smashed by a piece of planet has to hurt.......

·
Venerable Old One
1,510 Posts
That was only in November's WD. An Inquisitor has ABSOLUTE power. The Tech Priest in question was a heretic.

·
LO Zealot
1,226 Posts
from codex: Daemonhunters:
"In the most dire circumstances Inquisitors are empowered to declare Exterminatus upon a world which has been lost to the Ruinous Powers, ending the horror of its inhabitants in a cataclysmic rain of fire from ships in orbit"

·
Registered
128 Posts
Originally posted by Inquisitor lord Anderson@Nov 7 2003, 22:52
Yes an inquisitor has absolute power.
Why was usarkar creed allowed to destroy a planet anyway?
He didnt use torpedos
As i said he overloaded the reactors
because it was in the cadian sector and he rules it <_<

·
Registered
342 Posts
Even if the Inquisitors have absolute power they still need to give the tech-priests time to annoint the machine spirits before the torpedo can be used, as the Adeptus Mechanicus has control over maintenance of the weapons.

·
Registered
396 Posts
There are most likely safe guards in order for the occurrence to be one in a million so to speak.

If they declare Exterminatus there would have to be a good reason. In the Inquisitor Wars Jaq Draco declared Exterminatus on a world supposedly just cleared of GeneStealers.

He was also sent there by presumeably the head of his order in that Segmentum or Sector.

He was probably granted this power by said head of order. The asking of which meant that the genestealers had taken over the planet no matter what the other Inquisitor, Obispal had already reported.

In any event declaring Exterminatus on a planet runs the risk of you being declared Extremis Diabolus and being hunted for the rest of your life. Too late for the denizens of the planet, but hey it'll serve as a warning for the reat...neh

·
Registered
23 Posts
In inquistor Jaq use Exterminatus to get ride of the Hydra, which was a threat to the Imperium. An Inquistor only needs to think that the planet holds some threat and he can call in Exterminatus. The only problem is that he may need to prove what the threat was, else he gets chared for Mass Murder (several billion people - that is mass yeah)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.