Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that of all the things I paint, faces seem to ruin it for me..

I have only managed to paint a couple of faces that looked decent. Something to do with the highlighting.

The biggest problem I have with most of the face tutorials I have seen is that hte flesh looks well... Wrong. Something to do with really dark shadows, and really light highlights, and nothing in between..

But then there are these facees that stand out as looking realistic in their own, as if it was from an actual portrait..

Does anyone have a link to some excelent tutorials that I could use to help master this most difficult skill of mine?

·
LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
Have you looked in the completed tutorials section of the forums? There is onetutorial on how to paint faces there which gives tabletop quality faces in a reasonably quick time (2-3 mins)

If you want professional, near-real faces, I'd go with something like this or this (second one is good for female faces)

Hope I helped!
-DDW

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had looked in the completed tutorials, and was appaled by the face I saw there.. I felt mine actually looked better than that without any real shadows being visible... I simply want to try and get faces that would start being pic of the day worthy....

I will take a look at the links you have provided, and so far the Elf face looks a lot better than what I have produced...

Thank you.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably the best I have painted to date for a human face and mini.

Better view of my flesh tones, but not much detail for faces.

I liked this piece, but it has very little features for shading... My friend who I painted it for commented that he loved it, but that the face was still my weak spot.

This has some shading to it for the cut, but something feels wrong with him. I fixed the headpiece since this photo..

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
They all seem to look like "baby faces".

I think it's because of the brightness of the color of fleshtone you use. In addition to any tips offered in this thread I might suggest trying to do a face of either a darker skin tone or a different ethnicity entirely.

I tend to make my helmetless sergents to be "black" because it's easier for me to work with browns rather than with "white" flesh tones.

·
Egg Head Miniatures:fbook
1,900 Posts
Not sure if this would help but here is what I do.

1. Bleached bone base colour.
2. Ogre Flesh wash over the top.
3. Bleached bone highlights adding white upto the brightest areas. Don't go all the way to white though. Just looks silly.
4. Devlan mud glaze so only the deepest recesses get a slight colour.
4. Eyes and teeth painted in.

Couple of pics that show what it should look like. Lukas has a slight variation as I wanted him to look more cheeky.

·
The Shadow Knows!
1,590 Posts
It looks like yours are a little flat and thick, but that could be the varnish.

I use a lot of grades on a pallette and several washes. And then a smack of matt varnish after (dullcote).

I hope that helps.

·
King of the Burning Sands
1,258 Posts
Painting faces is a subtle art my friend. Two simple things need to be kept in mind. First, don't build up the paint on the face. Second, simple is always better for the face. Depend on the skin tone, I usually only do base, then highlight. White for eyes, then micro pen for pupil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.