Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Learn to take pictures properly!

Votes: 11 22.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As far as I'm concerned the face is the most important part of a model, that's why a helmet makes such a big difference.
I think that I'm getting better at painting faces, I'll let you all be the judges.

I'll apologise now for the picture quality, I've a nice camera but somtimes it just does not want to behave. Of the three the bottom two are a bit more pixilated than I'ld have liked but not so much that I would retake them in a hurry; they look fine if you squint slightly, although I know I shouldn't really ask you to do so. Bare in mind that they are tiny after all.

September:

December:

January:
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj135/WallaWallaWalex/005-1.jpg

[EDIT]- I'm having trouble imbedding mr marine at the right size, he's in my avatar though. He does look better in the full pic though, healthier too. I'll try to sort it out annon.

If you have any handy advice I'll be glad to hear it, bear in mind that Dallimore is my hero so his is the style I aspire towards. Basically I want to know; what do you all think?

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
Looking good. Someone once wrote somewhere that two things make or break a model: Faces and Bases. The rest is extra. While I don't think you can "forget" the rest of the model, that wisdom seems sound to me. The best models I've seen have the best faces and bases. Note that doesn't mean "flashy," just well done.

As for your models, I like "September" the best.

·
Lord of Purple
933 Posts
From what I can see, the sorcerer is the best one here. It's not necessarily that detailed but it definately brings across the "Muahahah I am the evillest sorcerer ever! I shall melt you brains and skin you alive, muahhahaha!" look that all evil sorcerers should have ;).

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
I think that the sorceror seems to be a little better looking. However the blurry image doesn't help me decide. I think that the first model seems to have more expression in his face. The wide open mouth, screaming etc seems to be well shown. Often when painting a model with an expression beyond angry, the paintwork will ruin the effect. I think that because of this the first model is probably the best.

·
Scenery Shogun
917 Posts
Yeah if the pics were a bit more clear, i could give a honest vote, but the sorc got my vote for now.

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the first one is better mate. As you have said before the pictures are a bit blurry but it seems to me the brush control looks slightly better and I'm impressed with the colour on the cheeks. The second one looks a little too "brown" to me.
The red faced wonder looks kind of blotchy up close, he's not camera shy though.
In person the sorcerer's really grey...
Mr marine's smooth but doesn't like being photographed... or posted...

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The marine picture in your avatar looks like he has huge eyebrows. I never paint eyebrows as for tabletop mini's they are a little over the top.

Have you any new up to date pics?
Normally I wouldn't paint the eyebrows in but they come out about as far as his nose so I had little choice.
I've not got any new pictures at the moment as I need about fifty more beastmen done by the end of the month so I've been busy, busy, busy. I'll try when I get a little time spare.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.