Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a LOT of posts recently on sites like Bell of Lost Souls and LO that seem to think the Farseer is rapidly becoming useless, because "Eldar are no longer the dominant psyker army. Psyker shutdown wargear/powers are everywhere!". This had led to the conclusion in some places to drop Farseers in favor of Autarchs.

The purpose of this post is to lend a bit of support to the Farseer. I personally feel this humble unit has at least doubled in power due to the recent metagame changes. Why? 3 words: Runes of Warding.

Psychic shutdown powers may be rampant, but RoW takes the cake. The average roll of 3d6 is 10.5. This means, at least a little over 50% of the time, your opponents power will fail. This is about the same as 2 models duking it out with a psychic hood, only it effects the entire board (compare to Shadow in the Warp, Psychic Hoods, etc). The bit of Perils though is the real winner here. Last doubles game I played my farseer killed a Rune Priest before he could get a power off (2 perils in a row on Stormcaller and Living Lightning), killed a zoanthrope over 3 turns, wounded a hive tyrant, and wounded a tervigon. That's a LOT of wounds for 1 model that never even engaged the enemy, especially on T6 MCs!

Second point, I've heard a lot about the new nids and Farseers. Remember, Shadow only has a 12" range. Depending on where your Farseer is riding, he may never even enter it (usually if I have synapse creatures within 12", I am worried for other reasons), and Runes of Witnessing currently nullifies it. Deathleaper is also occassionally problematic, but his LD power only has an average of -2 Ld, and passing on Ld 8 using Runes of Witnessing is not very difficult. The ld penalty can also be removed simply by killing Deathleaper. Cominbing Deathleaper and Shadow can be troublesome, but currently I haven't had to worry about this too much.

Final point, if your farseer is racking up wounds and fizzling powers left and right, in addition to buffering your squads, he will often become public enemy #1. In previous battles I've used this to my advantage by using him to lure my opponent exactly where I want him (particularly trygons), and get him to focus on a durable, Fortuned unit instead of my soft squishies.

So, fellow Eldar players, what is your opinion? Is the Farseer going out of style, or has he become an even more integral part of your list? Do you feel the new nids have had a different impact on eldar psykers as a whole than 5th ed like some people, or are they just another drop in the bucket?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I never leave home without at least one.

Farseers are key.

I'm not gonna pretend like the metagame hasn't become brutal for em though. Every 5th edition codex has come with amazing psykers, even for armies that have never been real impressive in terms of psychic ability. I'd say 80% of all the people I fight have psykers, and if they have psykers, they have some kind of psychic protection as well. Hell, a guard friend of mine has started taking a daemonhunters inquisitor with mystics just for the psychic hood and to keep deep strikers away from his leman russes. It's getting ridiculous.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've never seen anyone bash a farseer on LO. It's still, at least in LO lists, the most popular HQ choice by a very large margin. Shadow in the Warp for the Nids is very nasty, but its range isn't great, and generally the bigger creatures that have it cost way more than a farseer. Runes are CERTAINLY more viable now, but I think that's okay.

Runes of Warding is pretty much the exact same as Shadow in the Warp, except ours has unlimited range.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My thought is this: Not taking a farseer is asking for your opponent's psykers to walk all over you. Back in 4th edition I would always take runes of warding just in case I played a Chaos player with lash. Sure it only happened once every couple of tournaments o so (sometimes more often) but it was always worth it, cause lash can really ruin your day. Now runes are even more important, since Rune Priests and a lot of Tyranid models are very powerful psykers. Sure farseers are no longer as impressive as they once were, but we still have the best psyker nullifier in the game (even if we no longer have the best psyker).

·
Registered
356 Posts
I would always take them with both runes. If the enemy brings psykers then you can mess them up, and if they don't then you use powers without fear of shutdown. Win-win.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Cheap farseers are becoming less viable and more annoying, but otherwise not a real problem.

The thing is that the question isn't how amazing the farseer is, though, it's that except under certain circumstances the other HQ choices are less than useful especially for their point cost.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Strange. I can hardly imagine not taking Farseer. Autarchs are so weak...

·
Registered
371 Posts
I used to be a "autarchs only!" kind of guy.. then I got owned (in the face, no less) by a double farseer list. Since then? I keep my autarchs on the shelf, and pull out the farseers. They are better in SO many ways. Not only do they help shut down other army's psychic powers, but they also turn our mediocre units into killing machines (ok, maybe not.. but.. yeah).

Farseer > Autarch.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't know if there are posts per se but there is definitely an undertone of resignation. The Farseer isn't what it used to be. On the other hand a Doomseer with both runes is I think 105 pnts. Not too bad for what she does and keeps all other Psychers on their toes and/or alien appendages. I like 2 identical Farseers in 1500pts flying around in a Serpent, yelling Doom left and right. Another interesting suggestion I got for my list not too long ago is to take RoW on both and see your opponents expression when he realizes he has to kill both to be safe. If an Autarch could do all the things a Scorpion can (like he can do with Spiders, Hawks, and Lancers) then I might use him for outflanking spam but as is I'll stick with my ladies.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I don't know if there are posts per se but there is definitely an undertone of resignation. The Farseer isn't what it used to be.
Which changed being ultra-pro-uncounterable awesome masacratoriser into just ultra-pro-sometimes poorly counterable masacratoriser. Fine, good stuff anyway. Way better than Autarch crap.

Just ask yourself if not as awesome anymore means not awesome at all.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Which changed being ultra-pro-uncounterable awesome masacratoriser into just ultra-pro-sometimes poorly counterable masacratoriser. Fine, good stuff anyway. Way better than Autarch crap.

Just ask yourself if not as awesome anymore means not awesome at all.
What's a masacrotoriser?

My army basically revolves around my Seer Council (serpent mounted, working on jetbikes). Anti-psychic abilities are not some new phenomenon, Marines have always had them and I still maintain Inquisitors are better at it.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
If someone tells me that farseers are useless they might as well quit playing 40k because they are retarded. Nuff said.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Farseer is the staple of my army. As someone mentioned that all of the new codex's are getting more powerful psykers...just wait till a new Eldar codex comes out. If only Warlocks could have Guide...or fortune...
Perhaps the gamers who feel farseers are 'useless' just aren't using them right. People often want to take thier HQ 3 wound character into CC. A Farseer is a support psyker.
No one in our store takes psykers, except for me (only Eldar player) and Tyranids (Hive Tyrant only). So I've never even taken runes of warding, no need to.
But fortuning fast moving Wave Serpents and dooming my enemies wins games.

-John

·
Registered
806 Posts
Masacratorisers is a person who changes someone into masacrator, the common form of massacre invoker being regular 40k term in my country. :p

Reactions: Pagliacci

·
Registered
238 Posts
Still nothing in the game like a farseer guiding the das hes with and then dooming the unit they are shooting at.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Anyone who plays Eldar as a main-strength army is missing the point - Eldar haven't been the strongest in main strength in a LONG time. Our winning capacity is more or less exclusively derived from our ability to leverage and stack bonuses, not just charge in, waving a chainsword and hipfiring a boltpistol like a badass. Eldar are about a planned and carefully executed ballet of mutually assisted butchery.

Playing Eldar the right way: Fortune a Wave Serpent as it moves at its very top speed, Duide the Fire Prism next to the Farseer. Next turn, Doom the unit being assaulted from the Wave Serpent, Guide the assaulting squad.

Playing Eldar the wrong way: CHAAAAAARGE!!! We have big guns (expensive, though) and we are going to nuke you in one turn!!! Or... not... crap. We all die.

Playing Orks the right way: CHAAAAAARGE!!! We have big guns and we are going to nuke you in one turn!!! Or... not... crap. Like, 60 of us die, but it doesn't matter because our infantry are hella cheap. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Eldar are about a planned and carefully executed ballet of mutually assisted butchery.
I like this one better. I'd only change it to "Brilliantly balanced ballet of mutually assisted butchery" for the alliteration win. Well put Rafis!

·
1,059 Posts
Farseer hatred is I think putting it to harshly but I find myself more and more often looking at yriel/autarchs and the avatar. The farseer is a wonderful support system but that support system is having a much harder time working than it used to. I have started to see biker councils with two farseers so it can have a better than average chance of getting fortune off every round. The second seer is not cheap and adds little to the battle except the more reliable power. I love Ulthwe and will almost never leave home without atleast 1 seer but the second slot is either an identical farseer ( to try and ensure the power goes off when I need it ) or given over to a much more deadly HQ with my farseer religated to psyker defence and a happy bonus when I can get his powers to work.

I wonder if we would see farseers so often if the autarch wasn't overpriced/underpowered, as it stands though the farseer is a better value even if it has suffered by what other armies are now fielding.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts