Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tau are an interesting race, and after reading through my friends codex I find myself wanting to play them more and more...

So I choose someone who really sparked my interest, Farsight. I came up with a base list (no wargear what so ever) and came to about 2300 points with out adding farsight in. I decided that I wanted to make a tau commander that was subordinate to O'Shovah. I love the fluff around farsight and really wish to expand some ideas of my own on this supposed 'renegade'.

Now the question for I!

What would the farsight enclave color scheme be? Similiar to O'Shovah, or standard tau battle dress colors. For names if a tau was born in these enclaves then what might the location name be???

Dankeschon for those that reply!

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Well.. Since the enclaves are such a big mystery, you're pretty much free to do what you're want. Some guy on the GW site even modeled his with Necron bits, playing off the theory that the Dawn Blade is a Necron weapon.

Regardless, I'd make them look grittier (and perhaps darker in scheme) than standard Tau, maybe try some weathering effects on the amour to show they don't get the kind of tech support loyalist Tau do, and where possibly maybe try and make the technology look cruder and more cobbled together (perhaps even adding other races stuff to reflect scavenged bits or items gained during mercenary campaigns). Since they've deviated from the greater good, they might have abandoned a lot of the standard caste roles and practices as well, so you can make your troops look a bit more individual.. Individual fire warriors might have modified their weapons themselves, or might carry trophies and good luck charms picked up on campaigns.

Remember that Tau are one of the few races to use camoflage too, so virutally any colour scheme can be justified. If you're assuming the enclaves still use sept colours, perhaps use the dark red farsight is usually painted in as a secondary colour. That said, noone even knows how many enclave worlds there are, so you've got a fair bit of dramatic liberty to play around.

·
655 Posts
I run a Farsight enclave without using the big-guy himself, and I have played and won games from 500-5000 pts with the lists.

Fluff-wise, you are free to pretty much do what you want to do. I'll give you my example, but don't copy. ;) I based my tau on the world called N'tan (or something like that, it's in the codex), which the ethereals decided to abandon "for the greater good", those cowards. I decided that my tau would not abandon their adopted homeworld and the tau on it, and flew in the face of the ethereals, those cowards. They instead chose to stay and defend their world. Eventually looking for support, my Shas'O leader (Y'he Sha'is) made contact with the Farsight Enclaves (which aren't really that far away on the galatic map), and learned from Farsight himself. Eventually, he based his fighting style off of what he learned there.

Their fighting style is based on very mobile close-range firefights, but not necessarily close combat. When the Shas'O appears on the table top, he's in the Ninja'O layout, representing his training with Farsight. There are typically bodyguards with my leaders that aren't Shas'O Y'he Sha'is, and a clear chain of command in the army (i.e. leader 1, leader 2,... etc.), representing the way Farsight lists need a 2nd commander. No kroot or vespids, of course. I do deviate from Farsight and run 2 units of HH or 2 units of XV-88s (not 3), representing the fact that my leaders don't want the huge bodyguards, and instead place trust in other places (vehicles, longer-range "bodyguards", etc). I tend run a lot of Helios & closer-ranged suits, and all of my FWs are mounted, as they are defending a whole planet without space travelling ships, and need to move quickly on the larger scale.

My color scheme is a dark bestial brown with a slight red tint & white unit marks. This represents the darkness of the planet they are on (brown) mixed with the red of Farsight himself. It looks decent, but honestly it is a scheme that needs to grow on you.

So obviously, fluff-wise, it can be done. I would say, with my fluff-based lists, I win about 2/3-3/4 of my games (we typically play at 1500 vs. usually tyranids MC, slaanesh chaos, foot-based eldar, BT & SWs). Most of my losses come against horde lists, as I just don't have the range/volume of fire to deal with them. This is opposed to the 70-80% win percentage of my "hardcore list" games that I was playing before with more carefully selected units with range/volume. I find the fluffy lists to be a bit more of a finesse list for me & the way I play, so I take much more pleasure in wins I get with them.

Just something to hopefully help you out.

·
Normal member Fox D:
3,469 Posts
I believe the colours are normally reds, at least Farsights own enclave is red.

My own also doesn't include Farsight due to my thoughts on how playable (Or unplayable as the case my be) he is.
Instead, I also have a fluff based commander who follows Farsight.

My own colours are reds also. Pictures of some of my minis can be found on my Deviant Art page, the link to which is in my sig. Its nothing special... just a lot of red.

One thing I would say when thinking about your DIY Enclave is that they don't get supplies from the main Tau world. They are, for the most part, renegades and rogues. I guess some Enclaves could be considered to be pirates. Its all quite possbile.
So a dirty look isn't a bad thing for an enclave.

One thing I would also suggest, if you want to use stealth suits, and haven't already got any, I would say using the older XV15 models would also be a nice touch, as Enclaves are less likely to have access to the new Tau tech, unless they steal it or still have close links.

As for names for Tau, an enclave is probably more likely to consist of outcasts and such, so it is entirly possible that members of your enclave could be from other enclaves and other worlds in the Tau Empire.
Most of the Tau in your enclave could have been part of one world at one point, but others, like I have mentioned could have tagged on later on.

Hope this helps :)

Toastee

·
Registered
664 Posts
The whole fluff on the farsight enclave intrigued me,i was ready to play as them but then i saw the limitations :(,i just can't play without kroot,stealth suits and many HH's

·
Registered
115 Posts
unless Farsight & co. can account for themselves, the Farsight enclaves are nothing short of traitors to The Great Good.
Account for excommunicating themselves.

The strong Tau individual, having witnessed the "full extent of the galaxy", should feel greater resolve for The Greater Good.

The lesser Tau individual, shall recoil in fear and doubt, lose faith, and abandone the cause that is The Greater Good.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Well, that's just the problem, in the greater good there's no such thing as an individual.. Everyone's a cog in the machinery of the state. Big cog or little cog, it doesn't matter, you're never your own person.

That and remember all the expedition Ethereals died.. Ethereals release pheromones which render Tau docile and make them utterly subservient to the Ethereals. Farsight is pretty much the only Tau in a couple of millenia who has been truly free to make his own choices.. Everyone else is constantly being chemically raped into submission.

I'd guess that's also what Battlesuit neurosis is.. it's where a Tau stops responding properly to the pheromones due to prolonged time in a Battlesuit.

"Each must find their own way, if those in our heartland had witnessed the savageries of the void as have we they would know this. The hand of each of the great starfarers is turned against the other, none will join their strength together just to see their ancient enemies prosper. Neither should we."

Yup.. If I have a 40k hero, it's probably Farsight.. Individualism > mass forced adherence to pointless ideals..

·
Registered
115 Posts
The ethereals united the Tau.

Such levels of technological/cultural advancement could not have been achieved so quickly if the Tau were a splintered race.

(It is clear the Tau are a highly cultured race, this is apparent in their sexy vehicles, albeit not as sexy as their Eldar counterparts)

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
(It is clear the Tau are a highly cultured race, this is apparent in their sexy vehicles, albeit not as sexy as their Eldar counterparts)
If technology equates to civilization, then Orks are a highly cultured race.. After all, they build handheld teleporters. Anyone else managed that?

Besides, which would you rather: have prosperity, but no free will whatsoever, and be ruled by a group of God Kings who can order you to cut your own throat and make you do it, or take a big risk and choose to govern yourself as an individual?

I'm not claiming to have the answer really.. I just think it's an interesting moral dimension to the whole Tau fluff. Personally, I think the whole idea of the Greater Good is monstrous, but I wanted to use the cool high tech looking stealthsuits and things, so my army is an expeditionary force lead by an increasingly crazy and neurotic commander who, for some mysterious reason, has been sent on a mission to kill Farsight.. Cue 'heart of darkness.'

·
Registered
115 Posts
If technology equates to civilization, then Orks are a highly cultured race.. After all, they build handheld teleporters. Anyone else managed that?

Besides, which would you rather: have prosperity, but no free will whatsoever, and be ruled by a group of God Kings who can order you to cut your own throat and make you do it, or take a big risk and choose to govern yourself as an individual?

I'm not claiming to have the answer really.. I just think it's an interesting moral dimension to the whole Tau fluff. Personally, I think the whole idea of the Greater Good is monstrous, but I wanted to use the cool high tech looking stealthsuits and things, so my army is an expeditionary force lead by an increasingly crazy and neurotic commander who, for some mysterious reason, has been sent on a mission to kill Farsight.. Cue 'heart of darkness.'
"Individualism"

-The same type of rot about the pursuit of "self-fulfillment", and "living for one's self" that spawned things like The Horus Heresy and The Fall.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
"Individualism"

-The same type of rot about the pursuit of "self-fulfillment", and "living for one's self" that spawned things like The Horus Heresy and The Fall.
I would hardly class Farsights actions in the same category as the Horus heresy, rather he is just experiencing life away from the Ethereals compulsory control.
Mantis has it spot on, Tau are a cultured race but the culture they live under is basically a totalitarian, dictatorship, anti individualist and one based on total and utter mindless obedience to a ruling class obtained through what basically amounts to pheromone based mind control.
While the Tau are intelligent creatures with an obviously well developed intellect they are governed on a primal subconscious level by the Ethereals and it is obvious that enforced separation from the whatever the Ethereals controlling influence is results in Tau experiencing individual thought and also as shown by the Farsight enclaves being able to function on a high level without the Ethereals influenc. This suggests to me that the Ethereals presence is not actually needed for Tau to function so they must be there for some other reason and that reason is probably more dark then light.

Also what is the 'vindicated' post meant to be saying. As far as I can see your ideas on Tau are pretty far of the mark. Farsight is not a traitor if you actually take time to read the fluff you will see he actually took the fight to the Orks to protect the Tau empire. After the Ethereals died he took the decision to carry on fighting the enemies of the Tau empire. No body knows his true motives at the present but to stat of with he was loyal to the Tau and it was that loyalty that got him into the position he is in now.
The Farsight enclaves fight as mercenaries to survive. Also maybe Farsight discovered something about the Ethereals motives for controlling the Tau and rebelled, maybe he is the only truly good Tau who wants the best for the Tau and it is the Ethereals who are the actual traitors, controlling the Tau for some nefarious purpose.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would hardly class Farsights actions in the same category as the Horus heresy, rather he is just experiencing life away from the Ethereals compulsory control.
Mantis has it spot on, Tau are a cultured race but the culture they live under is basically a totalitarian, dictatorship, anti individualist and one based on total and utter mindless obedience to a ruling class obtained through what basically amounts to pheromone based mind control.
While the Tau are intelligent creatures with an obviously well developed intellect they are governed on a primal subconscious level by the Ethereals and it is obvious that enforced separation from the whatever the Ethereals controlling influence is results in Tau experiencing individual thought and also as shown by the Farsight enclaves being able to function on a high level without the Ethereals influenc. This suggests to me that the Ethereals presence is not actually needed for Tau to function so they must be there for some other reason and that reason is probably more dark then light.

Also what is the 'vindicated' post meant to be saying. As far as I can see your ideas on Tau are pretty far of the mark. Farsight is not a traitor if you actually take time to read the fluff you will see he actually took the fight to the Orks to protect the Tau empire. After the Ethereals died he took the decision to carry on fighting the enemies of the Tau empire. No body knows his true motives at the present but to stat of with he was loyal to the Tau and it was that loyalty that got him into the position he is in now.
The Farsight enclaves fight as mercenaries to survive. Also maybe Farsight discovered something about the Ethereals motives for controlling the Tau and rebelled, maybe he is the only truly good Tau who wants the best for the Tau and it is the Ethereals who are the actual traitors, controlling the Tau for some nefarious purpose.

Or perhaps he plotted the killings of the Ethereals himself.

Suspect. Thats all he is for now. A suspect - unless he can account for himself and therefore vindicate himself.

If one were to be a Shas'el commander, it would be an honour to locate & apprehend Farsight, if deemed necessary.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Farsight deals combat damage as if it were a monstrous creature. (I've played far too much magic the gathering and the syntax has caught up with me!)

He's a bad, bad tau.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Or perhaps he plotted the killings of the Ethereals himself.
Unless he was deeply 'neurotic', he couldn't have done.. They could have asked him to eat a pulse rifle and he'd have done it without question. They could have asked his own troops to kill him, and they'd all have rushed to do it regardless of whether they wanted to or not.

That's the point, it's mind control.. As long as the Ethereals live, noone has a choice in anything. You're pretty much one step away from the Tyranids and their mindless hive-drones.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather live in a society which is chaotic, diverse and vibrant than one where every part of who I am is determined and regulated by someone else.

ForthTheThunder said:
Of one were to be a Shas'el commander, it would be an honour to locate & apprehend Farsight, if deemed necessary.
Unless of course it's a suicide mission intended to quietly deal with a commander who is going 'mad' and becoming dangerous..

Yes, individual thought is considered madness in Tau society.

Anyway, let's get back to the point and talk about this guy's army idea. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Unless he was deeply 'neurotic', he couldn't have done.. They could have asked him to eat a pulse rifle and he'd have done it without question. They could have asked his own troops to kill him, and they'd all have rushed to do it regardless of whether they wanted to or not.

That's the point, it's mind control.. As long as the Ethereals live, noone has a choice in anything. You're pretty much one step away from the Tyranids and their mindless hive-drones.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather live in a society which is chaotic, diverse and vibrant than one where every part of who I am is determined and regulated by someone else.

Unless of course it's a suicide mission intended to quietly deal with a commander who is going 'mad' and becoming dangerous..

Yes, individual thought is considered madness in Tau society.

Anyway, let's get back to the point and talk about this guy's army idea. :)

Chaotic, diverse and vibrant.

There goes that word: "Chaos".

Can you hear She Who Thirsts calling out for you mortal? She wishes you to fulfill the deepest (darkest), most perverted hedonistic desires that lies with in you. Whilst you may choose to indulge, it usually costs you your soul.

·
Normal member Fox D:
3,469 Posts
The topic seems to have served its perpose and has now seemed to have gone off track a little, therefore I will close it.

If the original poster wants it re-opened again to continue with the original topic, all they have to do is PM me. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.