Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My army is very mobile, every troop is in a transport, but a curcial question I am faced with is which Fast Attack do I choose? I like the idea of Warp Spiders except their weapon is only an assault 1 rather than 2 or higher. Shining Spears are good but I am not sure whether they are worth it. The last one I was looking at was Swooping Hawks, they are my choice so far, I like their weapons and that they are somewhat ranged.
Which of these should I choose?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Убийца;1609772 said:
My army is very mobile, every troop is in a transport, but a curcial question I am faced with is which Fast Attack do I choose? I like the idea of Warp Spiders except their weapon is only an assault 1 rather than 2 or higher. Shining Spears are good but I am not sure whether they are worth it. The last one I was looking at was Swooping Hawks, they are my choice so far, I like their weapons and that they are somewhat ranged.
Which of these should I choose?
You might want to reread the Warp Spider entry, Deathspinners are Assault 2. Spears can be effective but they're very expensive and fragile and unless you're using them as a delivery system for a speartarch, they're not worth it. Hawks I've not used overly much, they've got a nifty ability in the grenade pack/Skyleap, but it's not terribly effective and not worth the points. They also seem geared to be both light infantry and tank killers, they're mediocre at both, and definitely not cost effective.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Eldar fast attack is fairly mediocre, Warp Spiders do have assault 2 weapons and that assault move so they can lay the hurt on high toughness things and hunt light vehicles.
That 1 shot gun is an upgrade (notice it's AP1,) normal deathspinners are assault 2.

Lasblasters have one of the longest ranges of any infantry carried assault weapon, but at the end of the day they're still a lasgun.

The Vyper can outmaneuver most vehicles and get a missile shot at facings the enemy won't want you to, but it can also be boltered out of the sky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Judging my the statements made I should abandon Fast Attack and just use transports and Heavy Weapons????

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
For most mech lists no one uses their fast attack slots. If you were going to use any itd be warp spiders or vypers. Vypers need to be behind cover almost always and itd be nice to use them for anti-horde but almost all the good armies are only armor, so you might as well give it a EML. And miss 50% of the time.

·
584 Posts
I never leave home without a squad of Warpspiders - the deepstrike and assault move ensure that they can always get to the right place and take a squad of 10 with an Exarch with dual spinners and your pumping out 22 S6 shots which is pretty tough on many units. I've recently started running them with an Autarch with fusion gun and Scorp sword which ups the tank hunting ability and gives them a good bit of extra cc punch - also helps with the reserve rolls of getting them on quickly. This unit never fails to deliver.

·
1,273 Posts
It only depends on how you want to make your list.

-shining spears for normal games are overpriced. I found them work pretty good in Planetstrike games
-warp spiders are awesome. simple as that. S6, 3+Sv Run them with an autarch with powerweapon and give the exarch powerblades and you have a mobile all round unit that can kill anything except the most specialized CC combatant or huge mobs of orks or nids.
-vypers - play Saim Hann or do not take these
-Swooping hawks good in footslogging lists, hybrid lists and avoiding lists. can find a good role in tricky pinning lists (assault 6 exarch sunrifle weapon is a very good one)

But in competitive play you`ll find spiders or no fast choice.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Again, I can't do anything but agree here, except with deep striking spiders, I always choose to run them from my deployment zone. Though I can tell you this, in my last tournament these bad boys managed to singlehandedly (read after the transport was popped by wraithlord) slaughter 2 full squads of banshees, 3 tac squads, and 2 very tenacious plauge marine squads. I'll admit to some good rolls, but honestly this sort of performance isn't that unheard of for me and my spiders.

Can't wait till my autarch gets here to really boost them up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.