Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone care to pipe up about their preferred weapon selection for their dreadnouhts? I understand the tactics dictate the situation, but I was wondering what most players liked to have on them for just about every circumstance. Let's not forget the little ones too (i.e. Killer Kans).

Me? I like big shootas, CC weapons, and a rockit launcha for the dread.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hrmm, scorchas. Why not use any long ranged support weapons also? Are your other troops enough for dealing out the heavy firepower?

Also, do your Dreads/K Kans suffer from frequent immobilization results? I have never found multi-melta bombs to be a problem with my dreads.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have never used eithe Dreads or KKs, so I can't really say.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What, Odd Bloke? You don't use either! Yowza, you are missing out.

I have seen your other posts concerning tanks (and I agree a Predator is not a great buy for the costs) but Dreads, and ESPECIALLY Killa Kans, are a very good buy.

They fill a slightly mobile, relatively well-armored weapons platform. What I find the best about them is the ability to engage in close combat. After shooting, they can help finish off a tank via assault and can crush troops.

What is horrible for certain troop types are that some are completly vulnerable to kan/dread assaults. They simply lack the STR to hack through the armor, even with some troops lapping around to the rear. With certain armies, once a dread engages it in HTH, they are in that combat until they are destroyed (I use a modified 'breaking off assault' rule to have pity on them).

Think about buying 2-3 killer kans. They are really a great addition to any ork force for the price. A dread is even better, but the multiple models in a kan unit can be helpful with those lucky lascannon shots.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I will bear that in mind when I weigh up my next purchases. The only reason is that I have never had the money.

EDIT: Wrestling with the formatting commands.

·
Registered
6 Posts
in my blood angels army my furioso( who would have guessed) has a built in melta gun and storm bolter. i'll buy another when i have the money, one with a heavy flamer instead of the storm bolter. furioso's are cheap compared to normal dreads and there big guns.

as for my orks i have a dread with a heavy shooter, a skorcha and two ccw's. also i have three kans two with heavy shooters and one with a rokkit launcha.

as for the melta bombs ive never seen an army that uses them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This topic has been dead as a doornail but what the hell...

What about Mega Blasters? Anyone ever bother using them? Personally I find the 1 in 6 chance of suffering a glancing hit (and in turn, 1 in 6 chance of blowing up) way too risky for my blood.

Another point Spasmarod brought up, Scorchas. I don't use em for my dreads/kans. I guess with Nids and other softies they might be a good buy, but I like the long range punch of a big shoota against those foes. Anyone differ in opinion?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I agree with that. The Megablasta is way too dangerous for the vehicles! And I wouldn't take Skorchas either, because you'll see that you're killing all enemy models that would be in assault range if you hadn't torched them 8) .

·
Registered
52 Posts
The main reason I use skorchas on my dreads is because my army is kinda themed around as many burnas and skorchas as possible.(I call them the burnin' bastards) Also, my regular opponents both have a partanoid fear of tanks and so I almost always end up with some troops who I would rather not assault.

Anyway, I made the skorchas from bits of other ork guns that I stuck together so I could probably get away with calling them heavy shootas for a tournament or something

·
Registered
735 Posts
Da Dreadz

My main army is a foot sloggin one, heavy on troops and supported by kans an dreads. (I use few truks or trax. A lot of grots.)

Three kans, one with a rokkit launcha / power claw and two with big shootas / power claw.
At least one dread, two Power claws, big shoota, and a rokkit launcha.

I tried Mega blastas but never hit with them.

Most of the opponents I face have an unnatural fear of kans and dreads, which seems to work to my advantage.
Use your kans to support your main assault troops, runnin right along with the boyz. Even under heavy fire at least one will make it into an assault.
Use your dreads as fire support platforms, stay in cover to lessen your chance of taking a hit. Don't forget if you need em, send em in with the boyz too. Good luck...

Hakbash

·
Registered
131 Posts
i like puting Mega Blatas to my Killa Kans so they have some good range and can hopefully take out a termy or 2 on the way to CC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.