Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
I like the Disgaea series, I've burned countless hundreds of hours playing that turn-based strategy rpg series. There's just almost no end to upgrading your characters, all their equipment, or all the minions/monsters you can choose from. Plus, I like anime so that part appeals to me as well.

3 was my first one as well as my favorite, but that's probably because I'm still working on it's end-game content and haven't even gotten around to immersing into 4's yet.

G

·
Favourite of all time would have to be F16 Combat Pilot, you got to lead a whole Squadron in the finish.
Current Favourites are: DoW2:Retribution, Sims3, UT2k4, Quake Wars. At the moment I seem to play Dow2 the most, followed by Sims3.
Favourite Character is an interesting one, I would probably say Commissar Holt from way back in Final Liberation, he was pretty cool.

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
Ultima 7. Best video game ever. My favorite character has to be Canderous Ordo from the first KOTOR. That guy just grew on me. Like a rat and a pellet, I loved opening his dialogue in that game.

Favourite of all time would have to be F16 Combat Pilot, you got to lead a whole Squadron in the finish.
Current Favourites are: DoW2:Retribution, Sims3, UT2k4, Quake Wars. At the moment I seem to play Dow2 the most, followed by Sims3.
Favourite Character is an interesting one, I would probably say Commissar Holt from way back in Final Liberation, he was pretty cool.
I thought I was the only one that played with dolls! A buddy of mine mentioned that to me, and now whenever I play sims that's all I can think of: I'm playing with virtual dolls.

My work computer is on the older side, so when I'm killing time, I tend to play either Dawn of War (I'm not sure if it can run DoW2) or Sims3. At home, it's either Space Marine or Geometry Wars 2.

G

·
Ultima 7. Best video game ever. My favorite character has to be Canderous Ordo from the first KOTOR. That guy just grew on me. Like a rat and a pellet, I loved opening his dialogue in that game.

I thought I was the only one that played with dolls! A buddy of mine mentioned that to me, and now whenever I play sims that's all I can think of: I'm playing with virtual dolls.

My work computer is on the older side, so when I'm killing time, I tend to play either Dawn of War (I'm not sure if it can run DoW2) or Sims3. At home, it's either Space Marine or Geometry Wars 2.
Actually a Psychologist buddy of mine pointed out Sims is really for control freaks who like to play God. :) Nothing to do with dolls.

·
The Dark Knight
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The Entire Zelda series - Link is the man!!
Almost all of them Skyward Sword didn't catch my "fancy" I love the Zelda games but lets be honest all of them are not as great as people say they are. I think sometimes some of them just feed off the previous great ones. I hate when a series of a game is good then it gets worse but still gets outstanding ratings because the previous games were good and people eat it up.

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
oh, you mean sort of like Call of Duty, Gears, Halo, etc... and just a lot of the bandwagon series where you can have mixed feelings about them, but you still feel sort of obliged to get the latest installment just because of how some of the earlier games in the series may have been, and also partially because it's fairly likely all the people you play with online will be getting it, so you have to as well in order to continue playing with them.

·
The Dark Knight
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh, you mean sort of like Call of Duty, Gears, Halo, etc... and just a lot of the bandwagon series where you can have mixed feelings about them, but you still feel sort of obliged to get the latest installment just because of how some of the earlier games in the series may have been, and also partially because it's fairly likely all the people you play with online will be getting it, so you have to as well in order to continue playing with them.
Pretty much except I don't really feel obliged to get the latest game. I will not sign my life to a series.

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
It depends, my life is sort of signed away to whatever series my friends end up playing so I can continue to socialize with them. Whether I like the game or not, sorta the price I'm paying to maintain the long distance relationship with many of them (having gone our separate ways throughout the course of our careers), though usually I can find something to entertain me in most games so its at least somewhat enjoyable.

Locally though, it's pretty much the same for me with 40k, I mainly continue to play it currently because it's what my group is into... as well as the only thing we can play at the GW FLGS. So I put up with playing that despite my growing interest in Infinity, which has yet to spark enough interest in the others to start searching for a place we could game at outside the FLGS (which is closing in 2 weeks anyways, so shrug on what they'll do after its gone).

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
I know how you feel about the Bandwagon games. I enjoy playing Modern Warfare, but I would never actually spend money on it. I'm not all that good at the online multiplayer, so I can only play it in short bursts before I get frustrated. The same goes for BF:3, which I do own, being a fan of the Battlefield series in general. The only thing that I dislike about the game is that everyone just grabs a sniper rifle and camps out, rather than getting in and mixing it up like they should. It's supposed to be so realistic, but sniping is nowhere near as hard as it should be (if you can see it, you can kill it - no bullet drop, windage, etc). If I play a large-map FPS, it's going to be Arma.

As for the games that have been getting the most play from me: SSX is probably right up top, as it mixes everything that I like about a videogame, you can space out and just watch the pretty colors blur by while you race, or you can do insanely unrealistic tricks. Even though it's a snowboarding game, I highly recommend it to anyone - I haven't met a person who played it and didn't fall in love with it, even FPS players, racers, RPGers, they all like the game for different reasons. The multiplayers is also great, it uses realtime leaderboards and "ghosts" to allow you to run races or trick events over a time period, regardless of how many people are playing that instant. You pay a "drop cost" of in game credits, and then when the event is over, you get paid out based on performance.
Other than SSX, Space Marine has become my absolute favorite FPS. It reminds me of the old "arena shooters" like Unreal and Quake, or even early editions of Halo. You can't crouch, there's not always a lot of cover, the maps are small, the weapons are all unique, and the action is insanely fast. I was surprised at how great the online game is, and I have never seen a game release so much DLC for expanded stuff. You can even pilot a dreadnaught now! It's crazy.
Finally, I'll always be an Elder Scrolls fanatic. I slacked off on Skyrim after beating most of the main quest, and finishing up the Thieves, Companions, and Dark Brotherhood questlines. I picked it back up recently though, and worked on getting Daedric Armor and now I'm headed towards getting the 8 Dragon Priest Masks so that I can get the Golden Mask, which requires me to finish up the story quests as well as most of the College of Winterhold. I'm also leveling my Enchanting and working on most of the Daedric Quests to get the cool items. Eventually I'm going to start a new game and really optimize my character for my playstyle, I want to make a dual-sword stealth character with a really high smithing and enchant ability.

·
The Dark Knight
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It depends, my life is sort of signed away to whatever series my friends end up playing so I can continue to socialize with them. Whether I like the game or not, sorta the price I'm paying to maintain the long distance relationship with many of them (having gone our separate ways throughout the course of our careers), though usually I can find something to entertain me in most games so its at least somewhat enjoyable.

Locally though, it's pretty much the same for me with 40k, I mainly continue to play it currently because it's what my group is into... as well as the only thing we can play at the GW FLGS. So I put up with playing that despite my growing interest in Infinity, which has yet to spark enough interest in the others to start searching for a place we could game at outside the FLGS (which is closing in 2 weeks anyways, so shrug on what they'll do after its gone).
Guess you really can't stop it then if you lose online friends.

·
The Dark Knight
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I played Skyrim it is fun but after a while it becomes boring because it feels like your just running around collecting items for people or killing different people for someone. Not to mention the big headache from staying up all night just to make it up in a few levels in rank. Really big games like that and the fallout series lack some plot for me. I still like them but they get boring after awhile. I thinks its the running around part I hate most. It takes a long time to get from place to place if you have never been there before.

·
Registered
246 Posts
X-Com is by far my favorite game of all time. It had the best elements of role-playing, strategy, sand box and tactical gameplay to make THE best game ever!! My favorite character was Minsc from baldur's gate. He was a barbarian with brain damage. He carried with him his miniature giant space hamster, bu, who also was his god. Minsc was voiced by Jim Cummings and says some of the best lines in gaming history, "go for the eyes bu, go for the eyes!"

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
True, I see your point about Skyrim, but I feel that way about lots of games - Halo for example, or most FPS games feel like "ok, kill everything in front of you, no questions". Obviously every game is going to provide you with a goal that you have to meet in order to "win". What I like about Elder Scrolls is that they might give you the goal, but they don't care how you achieve it, or even if you achieve it at all.
Strangely, being used to Morrowind, I don't Fast Travel at all in Skyrim, and I think that it makes the game more enjoyable. For the first time, Bethesda has really put a lot of effort into the landscapes and the peripherals in the game. It's not that bad to wander around anymore and just enjoy the scenery, plus, you end up finding a lot of the things that aren't covered in the 'fetch/kill' quests.
Also, you get out of the game what you put into it. Like I said earlier, I want to make a Stealth character. Currently I have a dual-axe heavy armored Nord. If I want to, I can run right into a dungeon and usually just tank everything that moves. But that's boring. Instead I've been going the Stealth route, which requires a lot of thinking and strategy. When you're wearing light armor and only carrying a pair of daggers, you can't afford to mess up a kill and alert the whole area of your presence. It makes those late-game dungeon crawls a lot more fun.

·
The Dark Knight
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do like that you could do anything you wanted in Skyrim. My character is an Imperial with duel iron daggers I went the stealth route too. I love sneaking up on people and I love that the daggers suck so badly. I pretty much have to sneak up on people to kill them and sometimes that isn't enough. Every time I upgrade in level I choose the stamina upgrade.
Also I agree with you today's first person shooters are more like kill each other with little or no plot at all. I can't remember the last time I got a good first person shooter. Then again pretty much all people really want is a good online shooter that's really addictive.

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
X-Com is by far my favorite game of all time. It had the best elements of role-playing, strategy, sand box and tactical gameplay to make THE best game ever!! My favorite character was Minsc from baldur's gate. He was a barbarian with brain damage. He carried with him his miniature giant space hamster, bu, who also was his god. Minsc was voiced by Jim Cummings and says some of the best lines in gaming history, "go for the eyes bu, go for the eyes!"
You know, I never played Baldur's Gate, but the whole "Go for the eyes, Bu!" was renown throughout my gaming group. I think he inspired many a D&D character back in the day.

·
Registered
815 Posts
The original Stronghold holds a special place in my heart. There's just something so heart warming hearing your archer say "let them burn" right before firing a flaming arrow into the huge field of pitch you just spread out before your castle walls and then watching all the burning men running around screaming with arms flailing.

GTA San Andreas also holds a huge spot in my video game bank as well. Listening to K-Rose while cruising around on my Harley and bustin caps in fools is hard to beat.

Defender of the Crown and Herzog Zwei (props for whoever knows that last one) win huge spots in my heart for early strategy games, the latter being one of the first ever RTS games I've ever played.

MTW - what can I say about this? GOATS! No one will know what that means.

Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Golden Eye, Mario Kart (gotta have others to play this with), Civ II, Warcraft II, Dawn of War, Diablo ... all greats.

Reactions: nacho cheese
1 - 20 of 111 Posts