Cohag Redforge (runesmith)
Shield
Rune of stone
Master rune of balance

Yurbir Durgak (runesmith)
Shield
Rune of stone
Spell breaker rune

Redforge clan Dwarf warriors [24] (Cohad's unit)
Full command
Shields
241 points

Durgak clan Dwarf warriors [24] (Yurbir's unit)
Full command
Shields
241 points

The Valbek Regulars Long beards [19] (Falent's unit)
Full command
Great weapons
Shields
Master rune of grungi
341 points

Durrak Clan Dwarf Rangers [10]
Great weapons
Shields
Throwing axes
Champion
Musician
145 points

The Bazdukr Brotherhood Hammerers [18]
Full command
Shields
264 points

Big Brunhilda
grudge thrower
rune of accuracy
rune of burning
110 points

The wicked sisters

bolt thrower
rune of burning
engineer
65 points

bolt thrower
engineer
60 points

the Grungbad special
flame cannon

total models in army 115 (4 of which are warmachines, 12 warmachine crew and 4 characters)
power pool – 2
dispel pool – 7 with 1 dice removed from the enemy power pool and 1 scroll.

shield bearers - +2 to armour, model becomes US3, 2 extra WS 5 S4 attacks. (note that shield bearers are not a true mount and the lord gains +2 strength as normal from his great weapon)

rune of stone - +1 to armour, a single rune of stone may be placed on any number of characters in the dwarf army. (case in point, runesmiths)

rune of resistance – re-roll failed armour saves.

Strollaz rune – all dwarf units within 12” may make a free move before the game starts, units count as moving in the first turn in regards to missile fire.

Rune of guarding – 5+ ward save

Master rune of balance - -1 from enemy power pool, +1 to dispel pool

Rune of spell breaking - dispel scroll

Master rune of grungi – 5+ ward save against shooting and magic missile attacks for all dwarf units within 6” of the standard.

Rune of accuracy – re-roll the scatter dice (5/9 chance of direct hit)

Rune of burning – warmachine causes flaming damage

Engineers – bolt throwers may use the engineers BS

Royal blood – hammerers joined by a dwarf lord are immune to fear and terror

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The White Host of Caranthir Elensar

Caranthir Elensar: Lorekeeper of the White Tower
Archmage: 360pts
Lvl 4
Book of Hoeth
Lore of Shadow - Creeping Death, Crown of Taidron, Unseen Lurker, Pit of Shades

Elrohir Elensar: Dragon Mage of the Flame Peak
Dragon Mage: 435pts
Silver Wand
Ring of Fury
Lore of Fire - Flaming Sword of Rhuin, The Burning Head, Fiery Blast

Elessar Arnatuilë: Junior mage of the White Tower
Mage: 140pts
Lvl 1
Staff of Sorcery
High Magic - Shield of Saphery

17 Spearmen: 176pts (Mage here)
Full Command

10 Archers

14 Swordmasters: 315pts (Archmage here)
Full Command
Banner of Sorcery
Bladelord has the Skeinsliver

6 Dragon Princes: 200pts
Champion

14 White Lions

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers

2 Great Eagles

Total: 2246pts
PD: 9 + D3 + up to 3 ‘free’ dice + 1 Bound
DD: 6 + +2 to dispel

Silver Wand – Bearer knows 1 extra spell

Ring of Fury – Bound lvl 3 – casts fury of Khaine

Banner of Sorcery - +D3 power dice

Skeinsliver - +1 to first turn roll

Book of Hoeth – All spells successfully cast, including any double, except double 1, are irresistible force

Staff of Sorcery - +1 to dispel

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
Well... t’ be honest I was wanting to play this game later on in the vote war. Not because I’m scared of those pansy elves, just so I don't have to put up with ginjas excuses once I thump him! :rofl

From what I can tell, I’m going to have to go on the offensive for this game. Between ginjas large amount of magic and fairly capable shooting he has an edge at range which, while I could weather without too much trouble, i don't trust my war machines to return the favour as well as I would like.

So making use of my strollaz banner I would advance with my army slightly to one side of the table looking to force ginja into coming about to face me or risk letting my battle line bare down on a smaller part of his army. The line will be formed up with the hammerers on the more dangerous of the two flanks with the Rangers in, turn, covering the hammerers flank from assault or rapid cavalry assault. Then the long beards and warriors in tight formation to form up the rest of the line.

WLWHR <--- this being the dangerous flank closer to the centre of the table.

The master rune of grungi's aura will provide protection for the whole force as i advance significantly limiting ginjas own shooting potential.

my longer ranged war machines (bolt throwers and grudge thrower) are at somewhat of a risk from the two great eagles. To counter this they will make use of the forest to act as a bunker, stopping the eagles from engaging them in melee and letting them rain destruction on the joyously frail elves at range in comparative safety.

Magic is a concern in this game but with a significant neutering of ginjas magic potential (I pinch a dice, lowering him to 8+d3+ the one bound spell) I reckon I’ll be fine. while not completely eliminating the magic I think this will be more than required seeing as I have 2 big edges in my favour, 1: I have a ward save against magic missiles lowering the amount of losses I should take by a significant amount and 2: I’m about to gub the dragon mage!

The dwarf lord and his hammerers have a secret weapon... the master rune of challenge. with the dragons huge charge range I can force it into combat with my dead'ard dwarf lord and his hammerer bodyguard making use of their high strength attacks, stubbornness and immunity to fear and terror to smack the dragon around something awful, due to only having T5 I have a fair chance of actually killing the dragon in the melee let alone the poor mage on top.

With the dragon dealt with and eliminated my attention turns to the rest of the high elf army. There are several units I would only want to take on for a turn or so when at full strength so I’ll be banking on my firepower to punch nice big holes in the sword master and white lion units, exploiting their low T.

The real killer war machines in this game however will be the flame cannon and the grudge thrower. Both sporting templates they have the potential to cause horrific damage to the elven units, damage the elitist elf force just can't afford to take. These machines causing panic tests (be it through special rules or sheer damage) are all the more dangerous.

When it comes down to combat the challenge is to avoid getting flanked, this however isn't too bad. with my superior number of blocks (4 large, 1 small) I should be able to "fan out" when the game comes around to combat and prevent the elves getting them selves a localized advantage in numbers and troops and stop any flanking moves, pulling the battle into the dwarven specialty... the meat grinder. The elves may have a lot of hitting power but they've got a hell'uva lot of hacking to do if they expect victory when they have under strength units.

the march of vengeance awaits your verdicts... *pulls out pen and opens his book of grudges to a new page*

:C

Reactions: gingerninja

·
Now 17% more helpful
2,247 Posts
Well this isn't a battle I wanted to fight this early, but c'est la vie.

The biggest advantage I have here is the first turn, so I might as well make use of it. Arklite is using his strollaz rune to move forward, wonderful. Combat suits me as much as it suits him. The big difference is that I can do some horrible damage before we get to that.

My Archmage will be taking the lore of shadow for this game, giving me the advantage of its movement spells and the pit of shades. With a little luck, I will roll unseen lurker and pit of shades. These 2 spells will help me accomplish my goals. The first of these is to get my dragon mage into combat with the warmachines, most importantly the flame cannon, then the grudge thrower. The spell effectively gives him a 40" charge range. This will eliminate the dwarven challange ability, and allow my dragon mage to work his way through the dwarves without real fear of reprisals.

The eagles will move towards the bolt throwers, with the aim of keeping them busy, while my own shooting does it's work. This said, I have no way of eliminating that annoying ward save, but it only works against shooting, so when it really matters it doesn't count. That includes my pit of shades....

This spell will kill 2/3 of any dwarves it covers. When cast by my archmage it has a roughly 70% chance of being irresistable force, so you can kiss goodbye to quite a chunk of a unit with this spell. That combined with the fact that I will get 2-3 turns with it before the dwarves hit my line, means I can seriously damage the dwarven lords unit with it, if not killing him in the process.

I will concentrate shooting on the outer units, as they will not always benefit from the save of the banner. When combat comes, I will try and flank with the dragon princes, while driving the swordmasters, white lions and spearmen into the dwarf units, hoping to crack them, so long as my magic and shooting have done enough damage.

Please remember that my dragon mage gets a free dice everytime he casts a spell, weakening the dwarven magic defence.

ninja out

Reactions: Arklite

·
I've had enough!
2,041 Posts
Well, it certainly looks close, but im giving to the High Elves.

Its pretty close in terms of combat and shooting here. ASF wont matter a great deal. Low I and Movement anyway....

I think the Magic should win it here. With a good chance of iressistable force, magic can ruin the dwarven plan pretty easily, and I think it will.

Tim

·
Banned
4,252 Posts
Hmmmm, 7 DD + 1Scroll vs 9-15 PD, and with the Book of Hoeth, I think teh igh Elves will do some damage here.

The winner will be established in combat IMO with relatively even shooting. Combat is pretty much like this:

14 Swordmasters: (Archmage here)
6 Dragon Princes
14 White Lions
17 Spearmen: (Mage here)
vs
Redforge clan Dwarf warriors [24] (Cohad's unit)
Durgak clan Dwarf warriors [24] (Yurbir's unit)
The Valbek Regulars Long beards [19] (Falent's unit)
The Bazdukr Brotherhood Hammerers [18]

With GNs magic running amok, and Arkys shooting (especially the Flame Cannon), this will be very tough to call. Thus, I'm going to analyse the shooting:

Big Brunhilda
bolt thrower
bolt thrower
flame cannon
vs
10 Archers
2 Repeater Bolt Throwers

IMO the Archers will be next to useless, with the Dwarfs high Toughness and good saves. The RBTs will kill a few combatants.

This is very tough. The armies are very even, but I think the Pit of Shades will give the Elves an edge with the extra Irresistable Force.

-AFG

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
An excellent battle!

115 Dwarfs square off against 68 High Elves.

The High Elves command the more advantageous defensive deployment zone, denying the Dwarfs the added benefit of placing war machines behind walls that would effectively shield them the entire game.

The Dwarf army musters stout magic defense, but their 7 dispel dice and rune of spellbreaking still have to muster against 13 or so magic dice per turn.

Even with failed castings, a miscast here or there, that's going to hurt. And if gingerninja gets through the magic phase with good dice, he'd really do some damage. However, that's a big if.

The Dwarfs have superior numbers, that's surprising. It's definitely going to put up a tough defense against High Elves, even with their ASF.

Pit of Shades, there's a lot riding on the High Elves getting that spell. There's no guarantee you'll even roll for it.

The Dwarfs rangers are going to push the action and force the high elves into combat. The dragon mage, who knows what will happen with that firebird?

This is really tough, but I want to vote for Dwarfs.

Can you dissuade me gingerninja? I consider myself a swing voter. :p

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
i'll have to agree with david here.

voting for the highelves because they have the pit of shades when the spells havn't been rolled yet isn't exactly the best way to do things. there is, after all, just as much chance of rolling a 1,3,4 and 5 as there is at rolling a 2,3,5 and 6 seeing as magic is the point everyone is banking on this game i recommend we wait until the spells are listed.

;)

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
So.. the first battle of the Titans. I actually cant wait to take on those HE myself in this VW, and the Dwaves IRL!

Working on the tactics of both armies, im siding with the Dwaves for now.

The template warmachines will really hurt the already small HE units. When it comes to combat Dwaves also have the upper hand. They should be able to weather ASF and hit back quite hard, especially the Characters.

The Magic offense of the HE is key to their game. It it goes well, really well, then it could leave the dwaves in pieces. I just dont quite see that hapenning however. Arkys dispel pool is pretty solid.
Out of interest G, how do you have a 70% chance of casting a spell with IR?

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
I would assume ginja is throwing 4-6 dice at these spells and only requiring a double, the odds are pretty good.

Inversely this means that there will only be 1 spell being cast in this manner.

·
Now 17% more helpful
2,247 Posts
I would assume ginja is throwing 4-6 dice at these spells and only requiring a double, the odds are pretty good.

Inversely this means that there will only be 1 spell being cast in this manner.
Arkstone is correct. 5 dice thrown at one of these spells is normally enough to both cast it, and gain the irresistable force due to the doubles.

I also agree that we should wait for the spell rolls before too much more voting goes on, as I cannot guarantee my magics effectiveness without the spells being the ones I want. The unseen lurker 1st turn combo, to me is actually just as important as the pit of shades, as it will aid my in the removal of the single biggest threat to me, which is the flame cannon. (This is of course ignoring the 100 odd angry stunties....)

If I can get the dragon into combat with war machines in the first turn, he should have no problem wiping them out, leaving the shooting a little less potent. Even if he can't get into combat, he could breath on them, or use the 2 2D6 damage spells he has to blow them to bits. Then I can focus on the pit of shades.

In the end though, I need Spector to roll my magic, so I can decide my final tactics.

ninja out

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
right then, seems things have suddenly got interesting and painful.

No worries however! While the pit of shades is effective, it has its flaws. In many ways it can be looked at as being a stone thrower attack wounding on 3's and providing no save (negating my ward too). It’s rather powerful... but not game breaking. I would suspect ginja's aim would be to either A: obliterate a single unit (unlikely) or B: smack 3 of the combat blocks with the pits of shades softening them up for combat (more likely). While this will be VERY powerful I would compare my shooting to being equally deadly, if not more so.

The grudge thrower matches the pit of shades for carnage potential for example (2/3 average) while the flame cannons significantly larger template is even more ferocious with a 5/6 average and forced panic tests.

In return of course there is also the dragon. depending on deployment of said dragon it still has a high chance of getting pulled into the dwarf lord for melee or risk being too far back for the unseen lurker spell to promise a charge (as I mentioned in my previous post, the war machines are using the forest to prevent flyers charging them)

This game will be heavily influenced by the ranged carnage of both sides. Magic against honest steel, how it bloody well should be!

This is a wonderfully close game and I would LOVE to play it out in real life :D

(perhaps if we can get a WFB vassal game ;) )

·
Banned
4,252 Posts
OK, knowing the spells, I'm going to keep my vote as is. The Wizards will slowly wear at the combat Dwarf units, giving them a slight upper hand in teh ensuing combat.

Of course, that's assuming the dice rolls are perfectly even. A little bit of luck here could dictate the outcome of the game.

-AFG

·
Registered
87 Posts
I vote High Elves.

I never underestimate good magic.

However it does look tough.....

Man, why can't this be a WD battle report, or something I can watch with the dice gods involved......

I'll stick with High Elves, but I'll probably spen quite a bit of time reflecting on this..........

·
Nightlord
1,795 Posts
While the high elf magic is very good and the pit of shades can do major damage I am still going to have to side with the dwarves on this one. The high elf list is so small because of its expensive heroes that any losses from the dwarf shooting will be a large percentage of the elf army. While the magic of the elves and shooting of the dwarves might match each other round after round, the dwarves have more models to be able to lose and therefor can take the casualties better than the elves. There will be huge losses on both sides, but the dwarves will have at least a few models remaining in the end.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.