·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Map = 11. Fields of Bretonnia

First Turn = Bleyden

Lord Aldric Oliver's Milita

Bretonnian Lord (General) - 254 points
- Grail Vow, Virtue of Confidence, The Lance of Artois, The Grail Shield, Gauntlet of the Duel, Barded Bretonnian Warhorse

Paladin (BSB) - 114 points
- Virtue of Knightly Temper, Barded Bretonnian Warhorse

Paladin - 137 points
- Grail Vow, Sword of the Lady's Champion, Shield, Barded Bretonnian Warhorse

Damsel of the Lady - 105 points
- Dispel Scroll, Bretonnian Warhorse

Damsel of the Lady - 95 points
- Dispel Scroll

(9x) Knights Errant - 221 points
- Musician, Standard Bearer, Errantry Banner

(10x) Knights of the Realm - 264 points
- Musician, Standard Bearer

(8x) Knights of the Realm - 216 points

(20x) Men-at-Arms - 115 points

(20x) Men-at-Arms - 115 points

(16x) Peasant Bowmen - 117 points
- Skirmish, Braziers

(3x) Pegasus Knights

(5x) Mounted Yeomen - 82 points
- Musician

(5x) Grail Knights - 250 points
- Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Defense

Total Points - 2245
Power Dice - 4
Dispel Dice - 4 (2 Scrolls)

Bretonnian Special Rules

All Knight units automatically are given unit champions free of charge.

Lance Formation - Bretonnian Knight units count ranks as 3 wide.

Command pushed back to the 2nd rank still operates as normal.

Damsels may be placed in the middle of the second rank and still cast, however, they do not have line of sight outside the unit when casting.

The Peasant's Duty - May use the Leadership of any non-fleeing Knight within 6" of the unit. Unit Standards that opponent captures do not give VP. (Applies to Men-at-Arms, Peasant Bowmen, and Mounted Yeomen)

The Knight's Vow - May ignore panic caused by friendly units with the Peasant's Duty. (Applies to all Knights)

The Grail Vow - Are Immune to Psychology. Always start the game with the Blessing of the Lady, regardless if the army prayed or not. All attacks made by models with the Grail Vow count as magical, however, this does not apply to the mount.

Blessing of the Lady - Affects all units with the Knight's, Questing, or Grail Vow. They receive a 6+ ward against all attacks, and a 5+ ward against attack S5 or higher. A unit or character loses the Blessing if they flee from combat (including breaking) or if they refuse a challenge they could have accepted.

Aura of the Lady - Damsels give the unit they are in Magic Resist (1).

Impetuous - If the unit is in charge range and has not declared a charge, they must take a Leadership test. If they test is failed, they must charge. If the test is passed, they may move normally. In addition, on the charge, Knights Errant and any character who has joined the unit are Immune to Psychology. (Applies to Knights Errant)

Living Saints - All Grail Knights count as unit champions for the purpose of accepting challenges.

Virtues and Magic Items

Virtue of Knightly Temper - For each attack that the Knight hits and wounds with on the charge (before saves) he may make an additional attack. Additional attacks cannot generate more additional attacks.

Virtue of Confidence - The Knight always issues/accepts challenges. In challenges, the Knight may re-roll all failed rolls to hit/wound.

Sword of the Lady's Champion - Always count the character's Strength as one higher than their target's Toughness, unless it would normally be more than this. At worst, the character will always wound on a 3+. Use the modified Strength to calculate Armor Save modifiers.

The Lance of Artois - Gives the user +2 Strength on the charge. Gives the user Killing Blow on turns where they charge.

The Grail Shield - Provides a 6+ armor save. Also increases the bearer's ward save from the Blessing of the Lady to a 4+ vs. all attacks. If the character loses the Blessing, he loses the ward save as well.

Gauntlet of the Duel - Any challenge issued cannot be refused.

Banner of Defense - The unit's ward save is increased to 4+ vs. all missles (including magical) of S5 or greater as long as they still have the Blessing of the Lady.

Errantry Banner - All Knights Errant gain +1 Strength (stacks with lances) on the turn they charge. Any unit with this banner suffers -2 to Impetuous tests.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slann Itzakai 590 Points
2nd Generation
Sacred Plaque of Tepok
Divine Plaque of Protection
Sun Standard of Chotec

Skink Priest Munzdalo 100 Points
Level 1

Diadem of Power

15 Saurus 204

Champion, Banner

15 Saurus 204

Champion, Banner

10 Skinks
Javelins and Shields

10 Skinks
Javs and Shields

14 Skinks
Javs and Shields

10 Skinks
Scouts
Blowpipes

4 Kroxigor

4 Kroxigor

20 Saurus 284
Champion, Banner
Spawn of Tlatzcotl (Slann goes in here)

2 Salamanders

Points - 2250
DD - 5 (maybe 2 more from diadem)
PD - 7 (maybe 2 more from diadem, plus free PD for every spell)

Diadem of Power – Can store up to 2 dice from current magic phase to use in next magic phase

Plaque of Devine Protection – 2+ Ward vs shooting

Plaque of Tepok – The Slaan knows 1 extra spell

Sun Standard of Chotec – All shooting at the unit is at -1 to hit

Spawning of Tlatzcotl – Immune to Psychology

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright, here we go.

First off lets assign the characters to the units. Similar to last round, the Lord and mounted Damsel will be going with the 10 strong KotR unit, the BSB with the 8 strong KotR unit, the Paladin with the Grail Knights, and the Damsel on foot with the Peasant Bowmen.

The Peasant Bowmen will set-up on the hill in the NW corner of the map. This will give them an excellent vantage point the entire game, as well as hindering any scouting skinks that may try to deploy close to me (unlikely though do to how the terrain is placed.) The Bowmen should be able to terrorize a unit of skinks a turn, possibly getting them to run due to casualties lost in the shooting phase.

A huge advantage that the Bretonnians have on the charge is that everything will be hitting @ S5, and most units will be hitting @ S6 on the charge. Due to this, the Lizardmen will be at best getting a 6+ save in close combat. Also taking into account that the entire Lizardmen army is WS 3 and every knight unit (with the exception of Knights Errant who are WS3) are WS4, the Bretonnians will be hitting 67% of the time. Combine that with the low armor saves, and there will be many dead lizardmen on the charge.

The skinks are pretty much nullified due to the high armor saves of the Bretonnia knights. Even if they do manage to poison, I'm still rolling saves at a 2+, 6++, which will see very few knights die.

The 2 big dangers to me are the Krox and the Slann, both of which can be nullified and taken out. The Krox will get hurt quite badly by anything hitting them on the charge @ S6. They will be taking wounds on 2+ with no armor saves. The PK, GK, and KE can all smack them around pretty well, likely breaking them on the charge. If not, a Men-at-Arms unit can always tie them up for a turn or two until a unit is free to deal with them.

The Slann is located in the only Saurus block that isn't going to be a total pushover on the charge (20 strong v. 15 strong). The unit might possibly take a charge from a Knight unit and not flee. So to work around this, I will be attempting to hit this unit hard in one turn. A combined charge of 2 Knight units and possibly getting the PK into a flank as well will devistate this unit, and since they aren't stubborn, if this unit takes significant casualties, they will be running, and the fat frog will be right with them.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
I vote Brets. The Saurus blocks will never absord a charge from those knights. Magic will hurt Brets, but not terribly once they're in combat, which will happen fast.

Shooting and terrain goes to Brets, too.

Krox won't last against a Bret charge. Scaly skin of 4+ is either nullifed or becomes 6+.

Other than the Slann, I don't see enough trouble for the Brets.

·
I've had enough!
2,041 Posts
Ill vote for the brets.

That big block of saraus can be avoided all together, until a flank charge can setup. In the mean time, no other units can hold against those knights.

Once the line had been brocken through, I think the Lizzies are a little doomed...

Tim

·
Banned
4,252 Posts
Tough call IMO. The Lore of Metal will combine with the Lore of Fire to hurt A)Knights and B)Peasants, while the Knights will be able to kick the butts of anything they come into contact with.

Shooting is pretty much void here, unless the Peasants and Skinks shoot each other, which won't achieve much.

I'm getting a bit of a headache now, and with the radio going in the background and siblings slugging it out over some petty argument, I can't think properly, so I'll vote a bit later.

-AFG

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Given Spectors tactics im going to hand this one to the Brets. Waiting for the combo carge on the Slann is what finalised my vote. One Knight unit Charging hurts, but two! there wont be a lot left, and the slann will quite likely be run down.

·
Registered
353 Posts
OK Im 3-0 down and I havent even put up my tactics.:0

My tactics would be to stay as far back as possible and magic everything to death.

Ill put a Krox Unit in the forest so the Knights avoid it so they can jump out and countercharge. I would place the Slann, and Saurus Units right on the back table edge so hopefully I get one more turn of magic. The skinks will line up right at the front of the deployment zone and hopefully take some charges from knights and then flee so the units arrive peacemeal. The sallies would head straight for the peasants as they are faster and can really dish out some damage. If any [email protected] come out of this alive the Sallies have failed me. The skink Priest will move as fast as possible onto the hill where he can see all around him.

The magic phase should be mine. THe skink will have 3 PD (Im using the diadem attacking) to cast Comet or hopefully Uranons Thunderbolt (D6 S4 NO SAVES) and that should weaken a unit a turn and if Im lucky could take out half of a unit, causing Panic Tests and VP.

The Slann will take a spell of Lore of Fire. Wall of Fire will be haplful here as it can either stop a unit for a turn or give everyone in the unit takes a S4 hit. That should get rid of a maiden or 2. If I dont get Wall Of Fire all the fire spell deal out damage and tahts what I want.

I will be taking a spell from Lore Of Metal s it can destroy the unit of GK in one turn. Also I can get the spell where a unit is -1 to hit, to wound and armour. This should help a Saurus Unit stick around for loinger than it should do. LoM also can destroy magic items as well :)

I will be taking a spell from Lore of Beasts. Hopefully I get Beast Cowers which will completely stop the army for 1 turn, allowing 1 more magic onslaught. If not there is always the Bolt Thrower spell and the Oxen Stands which will help outthe skinks who are march blocking and generally being a nuisance.

I will take 2 spells from Lore of Shadow. If I get Pit of Shades that will take out out almost a unit per turn. If not I could get Unseen Lurker which means I get the Charge!!! Or i could make a unit cause fear (or Terror if they are Sallies or Krox). Also I could get creeping death which although sounds pretty Lame is perfect for a unit of T3 knights. Potentially 18 hits needing a 6. That could be a lot of dead knights.

All these 5 spells PLUS Drain Magic means they have no magic offense.

So my tactics are:
1.stay back with the main units
2.March Block, induce charges and generally annoy Knight units with skinks.
3.Kill all peasants will Salamanders
4.Kill (or reduce significantly) a few Knight units with magic.
5.Take the charge (or get the charge with unseen Lurker). Taking the charge is easier from a unit of 4/5 knights than 10.
6. pop out the fear causing Krox and cause havoc near the battle lines.
7. Destroy some Knights with Comet or Thunderbolt.

So basically this is a game of If I can kill enough knights that their charges have little impact. And with 7 spells on offer, I think I can do that.

·
Nightlord
1,795 Posts
I want to see what spells the slaan gets, but as it stands I think the Bretts will take this one. I honestly don't think the lizards can do enough in the single round they have before the bretts start charging.

·
Banned
4,252 Posts
Spec, could you do me a favour by not closing the battle until the spells are up? This could make the difference with the Knights getting burned alive, their horses getting scared out of moving or struck by thunder (ala Thunder Jack:p).

The one concern with saving the Slann for later is the fact that it will be freer to bombard the Bretts for longer. 2 Scrolls can only last so long.

But, for now, I'm going to say that Bleyden's list seems to rely on the Slann (which will do real well, but not win the game), the Skinks (who will have to concentrate their fire to do well, but when they do, Brett units will die in droves, I've seen it happen, even Knights can only last so long against 50ish poisoned attacks), the Sallies who's strength isn't high enough to do significant damage and can't S&S, and the Kroxies, who can only last so long against loads of S6 attacks.

It only comes down to how much damage the others can do before they die. If they can hold them off long enough, the Slann can strike a killing blow, so my vote is still live.

-AFG

·
Now 17% more helpful
2,247 Posts
As much as I would love to say the Lizzies would win this, I can't see that happening. The lizzies have no march blocking units really, and very little in the way of real damaging shooting, both of which could have handed them a chance.

In the end, the charge will break them

Brets will win

ninja out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.