Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
The paint scheme looks good, a little more attention to the details would help it "pop" a bit more though. For example, the logo on the helmet of the guardsman could do with being picked out in silver, the same goes for the grille on the space marine's face. Some edge highlighting would also help on the SM's and the guardsman's armour. The washes look good though, as does the guardsman's kit, I can never be bothered to spend that much time on it myself!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I agree with ArtificiallyEnhanced, work on the details such as highlighting and getting those small pieces parts. Also possibly do another coat of paint. Remember to water down the paint beforehand so you don't glop it on there!

Black is also difficult to highlight in my opinion. I actually just got done painting one of my SM's, who's color scheme is also black like yours, and boy was he a pain to highlight! My highlight colors are Shadow Grey then a final highlight of White. Takes times but looks pretty good!

Overall good attempt, only get better with practice sir!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
My main tip for the cape would be not to try anything too fancy, a series of thin glazes would be better than a thick wash, you can achieve this by watering down your washes a bit and putting them on in relatively small layers. What colour were you wanting to do?

I wouldn't recommend a lot of layering just yet, this can be quite hard to achieve and the glaze method will be easier and look better unless you practice a lot with your layering.

·
517 Posts
One of the biggest leaps in my painting was when I stopped using black as anything but an accessory color. A weapon grip would be fine in black but if I ever feel like doing a large area in black I paint it white first and then ink it in another color, say blue or brown. Then I ink it black a few times so it's a really dark blue or really dark brown. I never go full black any more and it's made a huge difference in my painting.
If I were you, I would just choose a different color for the marines. Using my technique on an entire army would be tedious at best.

As far as the IG, I would go over your colors with the base color again and then a lighter color. Also, the color you're using for flesh is much too dark for a final color.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
That is a little much to completely weed out black all together. That method is just avoiding the problem. All you need to do is practice, black can be a difficult color to deal with but it also looks good when you can tame it, just like white and yellow (which are also very tough colors to pant with). That may be your style Rex, but I do not agree with just sweeping black under the carpet like that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Overall I'd have to say that is some fine paintin' there. Echo the suggestions above for detail work. The only other observation I have is that the flesh tones seemed to get lost near the color of the jacket. On the IG with the grenade, I thought he was wearing a glove. Any way to bring out the flesh tone a little to differentiate it from the jacket? Beyond that, an otherwise excellent job.

·
517 Posts
That is a little much to completely weed out black all together. That method is just avoiding the problem. All you need to do is practice, black can be a difficult color to deal with but it also looks good when you can tame it, just like white and yellow (which are also very tough colors to pant with). That may be your style Rex, but I do not agree with just sweeping black under the carpet like that.
Okay, you're missing my point. I'm not suggesting eliminating black entirely. Besides, how often do you see solid black armor like this compared to how often you see solid white armor? People use solid black because it's a bit of a crutch. Weeding out base coated black will force you to pay attention to detail. Besides, if you listen to what I'm telling you, you're not eliminating black from your pallette, you're just using it in assosciation with other colors to make it appear more natural. When you look at a black shirt there is more than likely some sort of bluish, brownish, or possibly even greyish tone to it. You'll actually be hard pressed to find something that is utterly black outside of a large hadron collider. And the hard highlights that GW recommends just don't do the actual color of "black" things justice.

If you would give my method a chance, I'm sure you'll see that it's superior in quality.

Obviously the OP has inks at his disposal.

Base coat the area with a spray on white primer. Don't use paint on or your inks will pool in spots.
Ink it brown two or three times.
Ink it black until you're satisfied with the color. (at least 4 times) When you're done it will be black highlighted with very dark brown.
You can do the same with green and blue and any other color you have in inks, but it works best with darker colors.

If I didn't have a very important business trip coming up I would paint up a marine like this and show you what it looks like.

OP, if I had one piece of advice it's don't try to shortcut yourself. Take extra time on your minis and you'll be much happier.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Rex,

Two things,

1) I like the advice you have for usingthe brown ink, then black on miniatures. Does this also work on vehicles? Seems to me that there would be too many open spaces and not enough recesses for that to be effective. How do you handle it?
2) Love the screen name! Makes me think of the time Homer Simpson changed his name to Max Power.
YouTube - The simpsons-Max Power song by Homer Simpson

1 - 11 of 11 Posts