Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of fielding Scuttle Spine Gaunts to counter mass static space marines, but I don't know if I am fielding enough grubbies.

I am trying to field 72 Scuttle Spine Gaunts broken down into 6x12.

Is that enough or do I need more?

·
Registered
301 Posts
72?
well firstly what point level are you playing?
should be enough - provided that you have something behind them to back them up - something with some real kill power.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ditto what Overmind said. I tend to (when points allow) field 3 broods of 20 spinegaunts (no scuttlers) along with a brood of 10 ripper bases (with spinefists, toxsacs, and enhsense) as my tarpit and 'cheap' throwaway counter-assault units. Keeping the fodder out front as much as possible to screen your more valuable units does wonders for your surviveability.

I don't know about anyone else, but for some reason my opponents seem to take the utmost glee in dropping pieplates on my gaunts even when better targets present themselves! I just grin and let 'em die while my nastier stuff closes the distance and gives me the win when they hit the enemy's lines...HARD :D

·
815 Posts
Yeah, sounds like you have enough. I assume all your opponent does is stay at the edge of his board and shoot? Are you a CC army or shooting?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Overmind

what point level are you playing?
1850pts

should be enough - provided that you have something behind them to back them up - something with some real kill power
2x VC/ Dakka HT, 3x Dakka Fexes, 2x Sniper Fexes, and 3x thropies w/ synapsis/ -5 Ld all around.

@TamCoan
Are you a CC army or shooting?
Can't get enough of the Zilla Dakka!

I assume all your opponent does is stay at the edge of his board and shoot?
It is all they do and it is very annoying. I am hoping to force them to think outside of the box by burtaly crushing them; however, they will most likely regress by trying to add more shooty SM's!

Question: Are the squad sizes fine or should I combine them into larger squads?

·
LO Zealot
1,330 Posts
Question: Are the squad sizes fine or should I combine them into larger squads?
While I've never fielded that many gaunts before, it's generally better to go with smaller sized units and take more units. Since you can't take more units because of FO limitations I'd say the size is fine.

The reason I say go with smaller size, more numerous units is so that you cut the effectiveness of your opponents shooting. If he causes 16 wounds, that's 4 wasted wounds. I don't generally play a heavy swarm list, so those on the board who do may have better ideas.

Another thing to consider is to take flying rippers since you are not using an FA slots.

·
815 Posts
Yeah, I find the thoughtless "tactic" of sitting on the board edge doing nothing but shooting to be the most uninspired and sloven one around. Immobile gunlines should be punished at ever turn! 8X

You should be fine with your unit size. You may even thing about cutting the size down to 10/unit. That gives you 7 units of 10, more targets to shoot at.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The only problem with running a swarm army that relies on lots of small units of swarmy critters is that any half-way decent round of shooting WILL see your minimized broods dramatically reduced in number. If you're going for a swarm screen for your bigger stuff, I'd honestly say try to stay in the 15-20 range for unit size. Otherwise, you're going to see blast weapons just slaughter you mercilessly with not much to show for it.

The other take on that is final resolution. Even if you get one of those teeny swarms to where you need them to be, the primary purpose OF a swarm of gaunts is to tarpit enemy shooty units. Best case scenario, you actually manage to get a brood of 10 into the enemy lines...they're going to get smashed quickly and serve little to no purpose. Worst case scenario, your opponent nickel and dimes you, taking bits off of each of the squads and then you're left with 5-6 in a brood with little prospect of accomplishing ANYTHING in an assault.

It could just be my personal preference, but my experience in running a swarm host is that the 15-20 marker is pretty much spot on...not too small as to have no combat effect, and not too big as to make maneuvering around/through terrain a lost cause.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The only problem with running a swarm army that relies on lots of small units of swarmy critters is that any half-way decent round of shooting WILL see your minimized broods dramatically reduced in number. If you're going for a swarm screen for your bigger stuff, I'd honestly say try to stay in the 15-20 range for unit size. Otherwise, you're going to see blast weapons just slaughter you mercilessly with not much to show for it.

The other take on that is final resolution. Even if you get one of those teeny swarms to where you need them to be, the primary purpose OF a swarm of gaunts is to tarpit enemy shooty units. Best case scenario, you actually manage to get a brood of 10 into the enemy lines...they're going to get smashed quickly and serve little to no purpose. Worst case scenario, your opponent nickel and dimes you, taking bits off of each of the squads and then you're left with 5-6 in a brood with little prospect of accomplishing ANYTHING in an assault.

It could just be my personal preference, but my experience in running a swarm host is that the 15-20 marker is pretty much spot on...not too small as to have no combat effect, and not too big as to make maneuvering around/through terrain a lost cause.
To tell the truth, the minimized squads are really quite good (my opinion, they always preform admirably when I'm using them), you keep them around your more expensive units (shooty nids, don't want to get into CC) and make sure expensive units does not get massacre move'd by dangerous things. If the opponent is shooting at the 40p spinegaunt-squads then I don't really mind (though it gets a little frustrating having NO spinegaunts left by the end of the battle, even though you're winning bigtime).

Havn't tried units with 20+ models, I think I'll try it sometime just to see the reaction on my opponents' faces! :D

·
815 Posts
The only assumption there is you actually expect your unit of 10 gaunts to do anything in an assault. IMHO the purpose of a spinegaunt is meat. If it gets a few kills from shooting or assault, more the better. But it's only purpose in life is to distract the enemy and get them to do what you want them to do. Plus it takes more units shooting to kill 7 units of 10 than it does to kill 6 units of 12. (or even 5 units of 15.) IE: the more targets your opponent has to choose from the better. If I'm ever in a situation where I'm counting on a successful assault from spinegaunts, I've already lost the game.

I also can't remember the last time I've feared blast or template weapons. My normal enemies have completly dropped them from their lists when they play against me. As one space-marine player put it, "its a waste of points, you never actually let me use them anyway."

Tactically speaking, if my opponent is nickle and diming my gaunt units a few models at a time, I'm almost bubbling with glee. Meanwhile I'm decimating entire squads of his and moving on with no survivors. Muhahaha

·
815 Posts
Havn't tried units with 20+ models, I think I'll try it sometime just to see the reaction on my opponents' faces! :D
I used to run 2x16 units of spinegaunt and 2x16 units of hormogaunts. The very first game I did that, my opponent put his assault squad as far forward as he could. I can't remember the scenario but we had about 20-inches between our two table quarters. (non-standard table size in his basement.) I plopped down my first unit of 16 hormogaunts as far forward as I could. I won the first turn and immediately leaped into melee with him. The horror spread on his face as he got to watch me leapfrog and eat my way through his entire army, all right behind the scouts. Ah, good times. :party2:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quoted from TamCoan
If I'm ever in a situation where I'm counting on a successful assault from spinegaunts, I've already lost the game.
Agreed!

·
663 Posts
I can't speak for other methods but i can give what i do. I arange my troop choices so that i have all 6 taken. Be it Guants, Genestealers of Rippers (Though I rarely use them) If that turns in to me taking a spine guants squad, a termiguants squad a hormoguants squad two squads on genestealers and a ripper swarm then so be it. However in my oppinion it should always be full.

The number in the squads is really in my oppinion based on the size of the game. I've not seen that much of a diffrence between large and small squads. My opponints have wised up to paying too much attention to my guants so there have been times that i've charged with a squad of joe smoe guants and found that i was in a good position to win the assault with just guants.

Weather to take Scouts or not is more style too. Im my experiance that points that you save from not buying scouts will get me something good enought that i don't miss it. And when i do take scouts i love the 2nd turn charge that i usualy get.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I do believe I was a bit misunderstood, but that's perfect fine. If there's one thing I DON'T do is rely on gaunts to actually get combat results in assault. You are most correct, they are in fact meat and should be used as such. What I was trying to say was that a brood of 5 or 6 gaunts (remaining, after being shot a little) isn't going to hold up an enemy squad for likely more than one assault phase and therefore loses their usefulness as a tarpit and that is why I was advocating the larger (but not TOO large...more than 20 it too much) broods of them.

One other thing to consider (for me with my playing style) is the FoC. Taking itty bitty multiple squads of gaunts to get some sort of effect quickly fills up troop choices. You can take 6 broods of gaunts if you'd like, but I personally would much prefer 3 gaunts, 1 ripper, and 2 genestealers but that all comes down to (again) a matter of personal style.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I do believe I was a bit misunderstood, but that's perfect fine. If there's one thing I DON'T do is rely on gaunts to actually get combat results in assault. You are most correct, they are in fact meat and should be used as such. What I was trying to say was that a brood of 5 or 6 gaunts (remaining, after being shot a little) isn't going to hold up an enemy squad for likely more than one assault phase and therefore loses their usefulness as a tarpit and that is why I was advocating the larger (but not TOO large...more than 20 it too much) broods of them.

One other thing to consider (for me with my playing style) is the FoC. Taking itty bitty multiple squads of gaunts to get some sort of effect quickly fills up troop choices. You can take 6 broods of gaunts if you'd like, but I personally would much prefer 3 gaunts, 1 ripper, and 2 genestealers but that all comes down to (again) a matter of personal style.
Since I'm playing shooty 'nids, letting the gaunts get charged and wiped out in the enemy's assault phase is actually the best thing that can happen to me. So, it does indeed depend on what kind of army you're fielding. We both seem to have pretty clear goals as to what we want our units to do, which really goes to show what a versatile unit gaunts are. =)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hmm, SM gunline in the back, mean they haven't got much room to move. The only direction they can go is towards you, or to the sides. You said you have a lot of Carnies, meaning probably 3 heavy support choises right?

If he deployes his gunline along his whole deployment zone, you could just use a Denied Flank tactic.
You start deploying your carnies: 1) in the left side, 2) in the middle, 3) in the right side

Now, you just start to deploy all of your gaunts on one flank (right or left ;Y ), but choose the side which gives you the moves blocked LOS and cover. Don't be afraid of difficult terrain, it won't effect you too much.

After you deployed your 3 heavy support, and 6 troops, your opponents is probably out of deployments, so you can now put the rest of your army where your think they will perform best.

When you start, run with everything to your choosen flank. This will negate about 1/2 to 1/4 of his fire power because of either range or blocked LOS. You probably stand a better chance at getting your gaunts where your want them, that is, in the face of Smurfs ;Y

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is so much good info on this thread!

I will try the Scuttle Spine Gaunts and then the non-upgrade Spine Gaunts and see which one comes out on top. I just need a good field test!

And will definitely give your tactic a try Xilconic.

·
426 Posts
You could actually try playing a mission that requires a little mobility. Hell, even Table Quarters will do.

If you know where your enemy is going to be and that he's not moving anywhere, a Lictor Brood would be nasty, especially if targeting a juicy Dev. Squad. or something of the like.

I don't normally play with Biovores, but against hordey/shooty marines, I like 'em. Their range is further than the general bolter range and they don't need LOS to hide a little bit from the big AT weapons. But it doesn't really matter to me if a cheap Biovore dies... its not like theres a better target around :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts