Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be fighting at 2000 points a chaos army that uses a lot of chaos warriors, minimal mauraders, and a unit of knights, how does everyone think 4 or so bolt throwers would do against a force like this?

the rest of my force consists of Grimgor, about 40 black orcs (2 units) good magic defence, some hard hitting fast heroes, little bit of spiders, little bit of goblins.

I say the bolt throwers because the other guy's only ranged (the magic) won't get through at all, so the crews armor toughness doesn't matter, and thats only X amount of points to hew his ranks before we collide (which there will be some time since they are basicly infantry forces).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds as though that would be good to thin his ranks of elite troops. Any chance you know what god his army follows? As that would dictate how to fight him.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Doom Dives will score you more points than bolt throwers. 2 Doom Divers 2 Bolt Throwers and 2 Orc Boar Chariots are standard picks in most of my lists, and Chaos dosen't like any of them =P. Fanatics also work wonders against Chaos - Protect your B. Orc unit's flanks w/20man 2-3fanatic gobbo squads, let him charge the gobbos and he'll get ripped up.

·
Banned
4,252 Posts
How about Rock Lobbers? A few hits would really hurt the Knights.

Otherwise, Fanatics WILL drive him around the bend (and that Runefangy thing won't hurt either).

His units appear to be small and expensive. From experience, a souped-up Orc unit on the charge is nigh-unstoppable. A few Night Gobbo sacrifices here would redirect his units ready to a lethal countercharge.

-AFG

·
Registered
3 Posts
well with the bloodthirsty killing machine known as Grimgor, i think you should get him stuck in straight away.
My past experiance with him was with 10 Orc boyz as bodyguards against a unit of dwarf hammerers, lol, the amount of attacks Grimgor has (7) and with re rolls to hit, he could potentialy kill enemy units a rank at a time so they can't attack back, if its Chaos anyway, unless they can have spears.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Grimgor is a bad choice vs Chaos. A canny opponent will flank him with Knights, breaking the unit and running him down before he ever sees play, or ignore him entirely because he's M4 meaning everything (but Dwarves) is as fast or faster than him. Also, Grimgor can only join a unit of Black Orcs, not normal Orc Boyz.

·
Registered
371 Posts
As a Chaos player myself.. I can give you some advice.

Take out his knights. They're tough, have great armor saves.. and Bolt throwers eat them alive. I can't tell you how many times I've lost a unit of knights to bolt throwers by turn 2. As far as his warriors go, flank them to kill his rank bonus, and they will flee.

If he is using Mark of Chaos Undivided, pray that he doesnt take Lore of Shadow and have the ability to toss his units farther up the battlefield at you.

Chaos lacks range... take advantage of that. put all your shooty units as far back as possible and just fire away. I think your black orcs could stand up to a unit of warriors that are marked undivided.. if they are mark of khorne, you might be in for a challenge.

But as a previous poster mentioned.. it would be great to know what god he is taking.

If he is taking any chariots.. remember.. str 7 eats chariots for breakfast.

As far as the Marauders go.. leave 'em alone. They're weak, he probably spent all of his points on his warriors/knights. He wants you to go after the Marauders because they're easy points... shoot his good units.. it'll pay off.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've actully played against a chaos mortal army a lot and I only run Goblins units only. I am still yet to lose to a Chaos Mortal army.

I have always found that the best things against chaos are war machine. In particular rock lobbas and doom divers just to thin their numbers before they get to you.

Another thing I find really hand are small harasment units of spider riders... I normally try to use them and draw out a charge then flank them. In one game I played I was able to do this and then flank a unit of Chaos chosen knights with 20 Goblins... won combat depite not killing anything and was able to chase them down.

On top of that you have black orcs which can pretty much go toe to toe with chaos warriors especially if you have thinned the numbers before they arrive.

There is my input although it pretty much reiterated what has already been said.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, if you want to see my list it's in the Orcs & Goblins section, 2000 points. I recently found out his warriors and knights are usually undivided but he likes to take khorne minotaurs. Any advice on how to take these guys out?

·
Registered
569 Posts
When it comes to khorne Minatours one of the best things you can try to do is use their frenzy against them. Use spider riders to draw them out and into woods and things like that or out of the game.

If you want draw them into a charge (flee of course) and get a flank with the black orcs. The beauty of Frenzy is you can force them to charge you.

That is my tip for getting rid of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts