Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have any tips on fighting these things?...other than blowing them up with your tanks which, it seems, is the most effective way (of course) for getting necrons to stay down. Lasguns don't do anything against them really no matter how many you ,have it seems.
Any advice will be helpful, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ah OH Necrons! I use the under dogs-Rough Riders (hell Yea) to many str 5 power weapons for the necrons to worry about. Good for taking out that lord

·
Registered
598 Posts
my necron playing friend cried recently when one of our group won a basilisk from some raffle at a GW. And he told me that if I ever get a demolisher he'll kill me... you can interpret that however you feel.

Lascannons are great, because anything that denys that pesky wbb roll is beautiful. Deploy lots of troops around your armor, because there is nothing on earth more annoying then the Necron "Flying Circus" (Lord with veil of darkness showing up with a maxed out squad of immortals and tickling your tanks to death) except maybe Monolith's deepstriking into your line or wraiths with their invul save. Necrons are a thoroughly annoying army to play, but I think the key to beating them is just keeping your head on straight and not getting flustered about all of the seemingly cheap crap they get.

Ignore monoliths, and C'tan, because you can't hurt them with any reasonable measure of success. Instead, always try and whack his lord(s) first with ordinance, a percision Rough Rider assault, seraphim, or whatever you think can do the trick. Once his res orb is down it's just a matter of whittling away at his force, which shouldn't be too bad (necron players seem to abhorror close combat for some reason, so he may try to outshoot you, which is unfortunate because NOBODY can outshoot the guard) Just keep a cool head and you'll do fine.

·
Registered
275 Posts
my conclusions after facing the necrons as many times as i have.

>i like to have unit(s) to get into close combat with his warriors, immortals, destroyers OR harrassing/suicide squads to keep his close combat threats tied up.
>be prepared for pesky little scarab swarms (if he owns some) trying to tie up your key units.
>lascannons and/or missile launchers are essential remember to use krak missile all the time if you take missiles over lascannons
>your basilisk(s) they really really hate the earthshaker
>your demolisher(s) is scary for them because you can ignore will be back on ALL of his units available except the HQ Gods and Tomb Spiders
>priority on heavy destroyer(s) (if you have tanks. because he's gut the powerfull gun to take out your big guns),necron lord, wraiths and destroying numbers for phase out, ........monolith if you own, and are allowed to use, a vanquisher ... hehehe

i managed to humiliate a buddy of mine with the following (*note first time facing necrons):

DOCTRINES Grenadiers, Spec. Weapon Support Squads
Deamonhunter Allies
>1 minimum HQ squad (jr officer with bolt pistol and ccw .. i don't own a model of officer with laspistol and ccw. 4 lasgun toting guardsmen)
>1 Antitank Support Squad with 2 lascannons and missile launcher
>1 Allied Inquisitor HQ with mid size retinue
>2 small squads kasrkins with a plasma gun and grenade launcher in each
>1 squad of 7 ogryns
>1 vindicare assassin
>2 lascannon sentinels
>2 basilisks only 1 with indirect fire

scarab swarms managed to kill a sentinel. destroyers which were not high on my list of priorites managed a side shot on one basilisk and killed it. my minimum HQ got sacrificed to the night bringer. besides that.. he got owned.
he was too ****y about his nightbringer. unfortunatley for him, the nightbringer eats up too many points for the amount of points we played at. phase out on turn 5 of 6

the ogryns managed to get to his warriors without engaging the nightbringer. my inquisitor and his doomed retinue would keep the nightbringer busy with little to no help from my minimum suicide HQ. he almost force the inquisitor off the table with his etheric tempest ability. everything else that happened is just shooting at the best targets at the time. i kept the kasrkin squads back to try and oprotect the bassies.
looking back... what was i thinking!?

>vindicare... total waste... special rounds he has did no good at all. just finished painting and wanted to try him
>inquisitor and retinue.... riiight... i own grey knight terminators with a brother captain/grand master which would have been much better... a big point sink either way....
>ogryns.. turned out to be a key player in phase out... but i made the list not knowing what my friend was going to field... he could have rocked them hard and/or just kept away from them. a suicide squad of rough riders would have been able to reach close combat much easier and less points lost

i wasted a lot of points that could have gone to lascannons or missile launchers or a demolisher. i still don't own any rough riders so they were/are not an option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts