Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm facing the new Orks for the first time tomorrow night in a 750 point game. I know practically zilch about the new codex and actually only faced the old orks in a couple of combat patrols, so does anyone have any advice?

·
Blood Axe
526 Posts
Okay, Orks for the most part will be the premier horde army, as in move over Tyranids and Guard for most # of models on the board in any given game. This means that you'll need to maximize the number of bullets you have each turn. At 750 you don't really have all that many options as 460 points are tied up in required units, giving you only 290 to work with.

For target priority, kill the lootas if they exist, then kill the trukks, followed by stormboyz. Those should be your top three in terms of threat.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking: as many scarabs as I can. Hopefully, make them weather all the scarabs and a round of rapid fire before getting into CC with my warriors. Would it be worth putting a lord with a destroyer body and lightning field in with the scarabs? Does that seem unwise?

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
Flayed Ones work well too. Poor Ork Leadership means that Terrifying Visage will work a lot more than against high Ld armies. I've taken my Flayed Ones against Orks and they've always done surprisingly well.

Also: try a C'Tan. The Orks can't effectively deal with the Nightbringer, in my experience.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Quick, you did read the part of the post where this is a 750pt game right? The orks wouldn't even have to deal with the nightbringer in such a small game because of how few other necron models their would be (thus making it very easy to reach the phase out number.)

Also, under the new ork codex I believe ork leadership is directly affected by the number of boyz in the squad. (ten boyz in one squad has a leadership of ten, twenty boyz in a squad are fearless.)

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Actually, a Ctan may not be such a bad idea. You still need 20 Warriors, and without a Ctan your PO wont be much higher than with. Just kep one unit wel protected, and let the Ctan unleash the pain! Especially the NB, his special attacks are great against Horde armies.

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
Quick, you did read the part of the post where this is a 750pt game right? The orks wouldn't even have to deal with the nightbringer in such a small game because of how few other necron models their would be (thus making it very easy to reach the phase out number.)

Also, under the new ork codex I believe ork leadership is directly affected by the number of boyz in the squad. (ten boyz in one squad has a leadership of ten, twenty boyz in a squad are fearless.)
1 Nightbringer and 21 Necron Warriors would still be a fearsome list at 750. The desire to avoid the Nightbringer would place a two-foot wide area of denial on the board, centered on Nighty. The Warriors can stick together and create zones of fire around that area.

All of the Nightbringer's abilities are perfect for the facing the Orks, too.

Regarding the Flayed Ones, I'm not sure if it still works this way, but the Mob-up rule dealt with "Morale" checks whereas the Terrifying Visage caused a "Leadership" check, which Mob-up doesn't affect. That's how it worked last edition, at least.

·
Registered
197 Posts
As an ork player I can add another perspective in three words.

Volume of Fire.

Ork leadership is directly dependent on squad size now, so anythig with 12+ models is effectively fearless.

Your best option is to use terrain and deployment to confront them on the narrowest front possible. And watch for the turn 2 charge.

Good luck.

TZ

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
The Deceiver is a more Ld dependant option, but the NB, with his lascannon, larg template, and blow away attacks makes him a prety bperfect all rounder for facing Orks. Oh, and his statline too ofcourse! Good luck hurting him lol.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Lord and Orb
10 Warriors
10 Warriors
5 Destroyers
What's the point of the Orb?

My suggestion is to drop the Orb and grab a few more warriors.

Also, consider charging your lord out of the squad right before they get the charge to buy yourself another round of rapid fire.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Charging against new orks is a great way to counter them, specially with lord better initiative and nice T. Too bad it's almost never possible if the ork player knows what he's doing since orks have way superior mobility to necrons if you don't have destroyer heavy list. Though giving lord Destroyer body might just work and even nobs would have hard time wounding him in that case.

I agree that orb might not be too usefull in these points and against orks since they hardly have any S8+ shooting that you'd need orb for, and when they get to melee you'll be sweeped/beaten to death anyways so better just concentrate on shooting/counter charging them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took a lord + orb with a monolith. In both games, the monolith was destroyed in turn 1 and the rest was just academic. Next time, I'll try the destroyers instead. I'll let you know how that goes. We should play some time next week.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, guys, I'm playing him again tonight. I'm currently thinking the following list:

10 Warriors
10 Warriors
Lord
5 Immortals
5 Immortals

Alternatively, I could substitute a squad of 5 Destroyers and a res orb for the Immortals, but I figured that it would be better to have 2 shooty squads, rather than just 1, so that I could potentially take out 2 trukks per turn early on instead of just 1. The res orb is good if I want to use a phalanx, but I think a phalanx would be unwise against this particular enemy.

I am also struggling with another tactical question: conventionally, Necrons like to keep units close for WBB support. However, I have been discovering lately that when you do that against horde armies like Orks and Tyranids, they often end up wiping the first unit (eliminating WBB for them anyway), then consolidating/charging into the next unit before they can do anything about it anyway. Can someone confirm that it makes sense to change my tactics against these armies and spread my units out to give myself the benefit of a round of shooting between charges?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.