Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I now have the humble beginnings of my brand spanking new (dusty and old? I dunno) TK's army. It's currently not much to look at, being frightfully small in number and currently unpainted, but it's a start!

So far, I've picked up the following:

1x WFB core rulebook
1x TK's army book
1x Tomb King/Prince
1x Liche Priest
1x Mounted Liche Priest
3x Tomb Guard Command
2x Ushabti
1x Bone Giant (love the model!)

I'm currently working on getting the mounted LP painted and have decided to do something a bit unconventional, painting-wise, with all of the bones...I'm base coating it flat black and am drybrushing fortress grey over that. So far I like the way the skeletal mount has turned out. It almost looks like it's got some bits of rotted flesh still clinging to the frame, and I'm wondering what an entire regiment of skeletal warriors will look like with this rather unusual (I think) bone color.

I'm out for now, and thanks for reading :)

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Cool! :) Looks like you are on your way to a nice Construct list, and a different colour scheme too, like it! Im going to need pics of that BG when hes painted up ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will definitely make sure to get some pics of him up! Also, I was just cleaning up a bit, and found that I had completely forgotten that I had bought a second Ushabti...still in the blister, no less!

More constructs! More! Lol, I like them, and I'm gonna use 'em :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Obviously, the scorpion is a construct, and helps round out the list of specials. What are you planning to do for core: chariots/cavalry for speed, archers, or blocks of skeletons? If I recall correctly, the ushabti and bone giant are both a little faster than skeletons.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For now, the plan is to have a decent sized core of skeleton archers w/hand weapons, probably a couple of blocks of 20ish of them and run the army fairly defensively with my constructs and tomb guard (when I get them) doing duty as countercharge units and all around 'bullet' catchers. Eventually, I want to field Khalida so I can get the ultra nasty envenomed arrows added into the (over time) massive hordes of archers I plan on fielding. Definitely an ssc or 2 in there as well.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Hmm, sounds like you want a more defensive list, in which case the Bone Giant may not be such a good choice. The other Constructs are still fine, but if you want a Construct list then a fast hitting army tends to work best for them. Could always have 2 lists i spose :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I know the BG does not, nor probably will really fit into that list. I just wanted one to assemble and paint...I think the model is really cool :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
New colour schemes are awesome....I played around with my bone giant, which i love. I thought since it was a unique unit to have it should be painted uniquely. In all, i gave the bones a brown colour with a tint of orange in it to give it a dirty colour. The armor is orange as well....though my friend did some nice and some very poor highlights that im too lazy to fix.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like you've got a mighty interesting scheme there too!

Mine is going to wind up being somewhat odd, due mostly to the influence of one Nagash upon my TK's. Color-wise, I plan on going with the above-mentioned black/grey for any and all bones, while any garments are not going to be anywhere close to the usual GW official 'bright and sunshiny' colors of tropical doom. Ugh. I'm thinking mostly browns and dark greens, with the 'bright' spots being the weapons and jewelry. Jewelry will be gold-based, of course, and that alone should provide a nice counterpoint to the otherwise rather drab colors. The weapons, I'm planning on using a 4-1 burnished gold/dark angels green mix to simulate the verdigris patches on the otherwise bronze weapons. I'm hoping it turns out the way I think it will, but only time will tell.

The eventual centerpiece for my army will be my 'Tomb King', which will be a somewhat converted Dol Guldur LotR Sauron model (the new one with robes, not the armored behemoth) who will be representing Nagash on my tabletop. No special rules or anything, just (once again) a really cool model that I saw a fluff-based excuse to field!

Other eventual conversions are set to include some VCs Grave Guard (Tomb Guard with a more Nagashy feel) and a few Lahmian vampires as Liche Priest standins. I think they better represent what I imagine an undead force led by the Great Necromancer would look like, as opposed to the rather typical Egyptian motif present in the usual (yawn) TKs models. This is definitely going to be a long and drawn out project, but I'm full of ambition and imagination, so hopefully it will all start to come together and begin to look like something I'd be proud to set on a tabletop and say "There. Beat that."

As usual, thanks for reading...I'm out :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
For the sake of argument, I would suggest that Nagash would better be suited by the High Lich Priest rather than the Tomb King rules.

There wasn't really anything to suggest that he was a powerhouse physically, but he was a magical genius. If I'm recalling the fluff correctly, he was trained as a priest in the Mortuary Cult and was high priest of Khemri when he usurped the throne.

Further, as a general, he had Abhorash and the other vampires to fall back on. I imagine that most tactical and strategic decisions were made by that would-be Blood Dragon. Plus, then you could make him the hierophant. Should he be slain, his army would start to crumble.

PS. Not to mention that this opens up some additional cool model options for your general.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
While I agree with the majority of what you are saying, you are forgetting that Nagash also DID get ridiculously physically powerful once he had started ingesting warpstone...leading to his eventual (several) 1 on 1, toe to toe duals with some of the various powerhouses in Warhammer history. Yes, he was eventually beaten each time, but the key word there is eventually...he had at least enough martial talent/skill to fight these various 'heroes' to a standstill, even if just for a while. Another point that you are missing is that I'd said that there would not be any particular special rules involved and such. He'd merely be modeled as Nagash because I like the visual appeal of it in tandem with the theme I'm representing in the rest of the force. If I were to use him as the actual character (which, imo, would be silly...tantamount to an Empire player throwing down Sigmar on the table), I would more than likely field him in a similar manner to Settra. Therefore he'd be both the General AND the Hierophant and there would be no LP's in the force whatsoever. I'm pretty sure that the casual arrogance exhibited by Settra would be magnified at least 100-fold when put forth in such a god-like personage, leading to a significant lack of potential 'rivals' within the ranks. I seem to recall that he at one point did take some apprentices, but most of them eventually wound up as mindless animated corpses in the undead hordes due simply to Nagash's inherent paranoia and megalomania. I think it'd be pretty fluffy to just have this ridiculously huge necromancer leading uncounted hordes of grinning skeletons with no other mages in sight. *shrugs* Just my opinion though :)

·
King of Curiosity
283 Posts
I know at this point that you don't want to field Nagash as a speacial character but if you did maybe you could give him settra's rules minus the chariot and some items so you'd have to take him cheaper but it could work. Then again Nagash is even more powerful than settra so he'd need to cost more and in general be stronger so he'd have to use different items, stats and point cost. This is a good forum topic I think I might make this one!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I've seen the topic many times over before on several different forums, and the general consensus that I've seen achieved (which I happen to agree with, btw) is that fielding Nagash as an actual special character complete with rules and such is just silly. The only way it could possibly be feasible would be if you were to concoct the rules to represent him in his mostly weakened form, otherwise the points cost and power level would be far to prohibitive.

Quite honestly, one of the best 'rule sets' on him that I've seen so far is a take on the ritual magic system. Essentially, the opposing player(s) has/have x amount of turns to take him out of play. If that does not happen within the allotted time limit, the grand and mighty ritual spell that he's been chanting this whole time causes the other army to die. Period. No save, no roll to hit, no anything. He's the Great Necromancer, and you didn't get to him in time. Maybe the next army will. As far as I'm concerned, that's the only real way to represent him at the peak of his power level, and in a conventional game of Warhammer that's just ludicrous.

Again, I like the model design ideas I have, and I like the fluff-based theme I'm planning on running with, but there's no way in hell I'd ever even try to convince another player to allow any sort of rules for him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts