Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Senior Citizen
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally finished. I thoroughly enjoyed making and painting this, it's a great kit, now I just need to work out how to store it without it getting trashed!

Any/all comments/critiques welcome.

·
The Biker Marine
1,618 Posts
Very, very nice painting job here. The amount of extra details that you placed on the kit is mind-blowing. You executed a very nice, realistic paint scheme on it, which I am sure goes along your current IG force. The ONLY comment that I might have here is that you could possibly try to darken some of the recess a bit more, maybe put some black ink here and there, basically make dark areas darker here and there, or make some dramatic highlights elsewhere. As it is I do not see "the extremes" anywhere, seems that the model is just toned down.

Nonetheless, it is a splendid model, Kudos to you Sir, and some positive REP along with it.

8Y

·
4,967 Posts
Stunning! ;Y

did you use Mig weathering pigments for the muddy effect or a paint wash?

I'd love to see a brief painting tutorial on what you did, in which order and what colours you used etc.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Hmm. Ash, I don't really like it. It seems...too...realistic. Nah! I'm just kidding. It's brilliant, Ash. Your skills with vehicles is stellar. I could easily see this tank featured in White Dwarf. Well done, sir, well done.

On a side note, I'm considering getting one of these beasts for my chaos legion, though, I'm not sure if I have the time to paint the darn thing. If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to finish your Baneblade?

·
Striving for the right
941 Posts
Finally finished. I thoroughly enjoyed making and painting this, it's a great kit, now I just need to work out how to store it without it getting trashed!

Any/all comments/critiques welcome.
This is a very good-looking model and you've finished it off extremely well indeed - congratulations! The weathering is realistic and effective without being OTT. I have 2 quick points of advice:

1. You should reconsider moving all of the purity seals (especially those on the rear next to and under the exhaust stacks) onto the turret itself. Anything on the hull would most likely get either covered in dirt or soaked through and would be pulled off in any close terrain.

2. Similarly, whilst most of your stowage looks OK, some of it is situated in odd places, particularly round the back of the turret ring area. The thing about stowage is that it can very easily be lost when going over rough terrain or through close terrain. Stowage should ideally be placed on the hull or on the turret roof, using the turret sides as a last resort. I would not recommend placcing any stowage on the hull sides. Whilst this all mya sound rather fanciful, it doesn't matter if you're in the biggest baddest tank in the known universe if you find ccome nightfall that your poorly secured sleeping system has been lost off the tank because it was inadequately stowed. Been there, done that and shivered all night on the (bloody hard!) engine louvres as a result.

~ Ravenscraig ~

·
Scenery Shogun
917 Posts
Dude, awesome work. I'm very impressed and would have to agree, this is White Dwarf level of painting.

·
Senior Citizen
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys, IMHO other painters input is always the best way to learn and improve.

@ SmokWawelski, I know what you mean about the lack of contrast. To some extent (as you rightly surmised) my approach to painting this was somewhat dictated by wanting it to 'fit' with the rest of my tanks. It did receive a fairly thin wash of dark brown at the start, most of which has been subdued with muck, dust and rather a lot of rust.

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/painting/90964-re-painted-tanks.html

@ Mad Cat, a bit of both, a fair amount of Mig pigment; mixed with PVA and sand to bulk up the mud; brushed all over and fixed with some white spirit to flow into the recesses, mainly 'European dust' PO28.

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/projects/112303-big-fat-tank-wip.html

@ Rabbit, I'm not sure how long it took, start to finish. Once I started it felt like it went quite quickly. Most evenings for the last couple of weeks I've put in a couple of hours.

@ Ravenscraig, good point ref the seals, the ones on the side were a bit of a sper of the moment thing. A couple of the ones on the back are molded on as part of the kit so it seemed and good place for the others, votive offerings to the machine spirit and all that!
The idea for the stowage was mainly from pic's of modern tanks and IFV's that always appear to be thoroughly festooned with kit. None of it prevents the models turret from rotating and the odd bit on the sides is shielded behind the sponsons. The stuff on the turret is hiding all the joins and messy GS as are the cam' nets.
As for personal experience of loosing kit of a tank, just having a vehicle to strap it to sounds like 'luxury'! In my 'green' days everything went on my back!

·
Art Culinaire
1,699 Posts
Yes, I quite agree Ash, your baneblade has a resonating sense of 21st millenium warfare. As well as desert camo over in the middle east, strikiningly similar, rep earned for being a history buff.

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
I think your giant tank is very good looking. I like the dirty look it has. All that wear and tear and the weathering is excellent. The way you have made it look like the paint is chipping off to reveal old paint underneath is very good. The whole thing looks like a dirty old tank which is very good. I found the ones painted by GW were a little too clean and colour cordinated. I think that your tanks dirty look is much better.

The crewmen work well too. They look dirty, like thier Baneblade. They also seem to be interacting with the tank quite well. It is good to see that as they look very much like they are a part of the tank and not just bits that you glued on. Playing against models that look like that is always fun, watching my Tyranids swarm all over your Baneblade to catch and eat the soft meat things inside would look cool.

I also like the photographs you have taken, they show all the various bits and pieces of the tank quite well. I think that what your photos do better though is display the overall shape of the Baneblade well and show it from several angles. You make me want to get one now. Very good work in both painting and photos for sharing.8Y

·
Striving for the right
941 Posts
Thanks for all the comments guys, IMHO other painters input is always the best way to learn and improve.

As for personal experience of loosing kit of a tank, just having a vehicle to strap it to sounds like 'luxury'! In my 'green' days everything went on my back!
Well, mon brave, at least you'd know exactly where it was at any given time ... ... ... but it must have been sheer murder when you couldn't have hot brews "on tap"!

~ Raven ~

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Well

Well,

This is fantastic. I spent 3 minutes (you count out 180 seconds and see how long it really is) just admiring the detail shots you have posted. I have stacks of half finished tanks and I now feel a fresh determination to do something with them.

Thank you for taking the time to document your progress on this too. What on earth will you do to follow this?

Oh, did I mention the rep?

·
Senior Citizen
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well,

I have stacks of half finished tanks and I now feel a fresh determination to do something with them.

Thank you for taking the time to document your progress on this too. What on earth will you do to follow this?

I've got a few more shots, but I think it's all there in the ones posted. I'll have a go at a top shot, though 'Sod's law' says I drop the camera on the tank!

Painting this has also got me into digging out some unfinished projects: a couple of transport vehicles for my Chaos renegades; various bits of scenery, 'urban barricades & walls' set (half done), an unpainted Forge World building that I got off ebay last year and my son's 'Macragge' crashed shuttle that's 80% done; a squad of chaos marines that got as far as the primer, but can't decide on armour colours. I don't need to buy anything new for a while anyway.

Also had this little generator model sitting in a box for a couple of months so it got a coat of paint and a few purity seals at the same time.

@ Raven, you're so right about the purity seals on the side armour, if I could get them off (super glued) with out making a hole in the paint (Mmm . .battle damage) I would.
I stuck them there originally due to the Aquila being there and at the right height (for a 28mm guy standing on a box!). It's only after looking at these pictures myself that I now think they would look better on the back of the rear turret stowage bin (luckily I have a few more).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts