Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the most part, I only deep-strike one or no units (generally a Stealth Team), since I use the rest of my army from turn one, holding the enemy off with massed firepower.

But... while about to play a game against Iron Warriors a few days ago, someone came up to the table and asked what in the Tau army could deep strike?

For some reason I was feeling a little whimsical (probably because I hadn't had lunch yet), so I set aside my HQ squad, my Crisis Suits, my Stealth Suits and my Gun drones. "That, in this army". Looking down at the table, suddenly there were 2000 points of foot-slogging Iron Warriors looking across the table at a little under 500 points of Tau. :blink:

At this stage, my red-shirted opponent was heard to laugh evilly.

So anyway, we rolled for mission, and it turned out to be... Recon?

We rolled for first turn, and the Tau... lost out. Outnumbered over 4 to 1, and looking across the table into the barrel of a Basilisk, a Predator and a Rhino loaded with squad all tooled up for close-combatty devastation, things were *not* looking good. :unsure:

Well, it wasn't *quite* as bad as expected - while between them the Predator and the Basilisk blew great big smoking holes out of my line (okay, 8 Fire Warriors), the combined bolter firepower of the Iron Warriors... was out of range. And plasma and lascannon fire resulted in two overheats (saved), and a *lot* of misses. The Rhino trundled half-way across the battle-field, and hid behind a drop-pod. And... a scary-looking Daemon Prince began to march forward into a neatly arranged bowl of fire - although on second look, one prong was somewhat obliterated by the Basilisk. Eep. :(

First turn of the Tau... and after a nice, rousing volley of pulse-rifle fire we had 11 hits, 8 wounds... and eight saves. Curse all Power-Armour! One thing that *was* nice was the sole Broad-side I had with me that day fired one shot... and missed, and did his twin-linking thing and hit, penetrated and resulted in a five on the damage table for a certain big-barrelled Basilisk... :D There is good in the world!

Second Iron Warrior turn, and his entire lines took a *big* step forwards. His Rhino ran forward to directly in front of one of two adjacent 6-tau Fire Warrior Squads who were on my far right flank, isolated from the rest of my army by a large pipe. It then wheeled around, faced its back to the Tau... and disgorged a certain scary assault squad. Aaaah! I'm dead again! This impression was *not* helped by a single long-range shot from the Predator taking out my Broadside. Then the assault squad fired, and obliterated one of the two squads of fire warriors... and in the assault phase, declared a charge into the other one. Only to find that while they were easily in range of the squad they'd just blown apart, the twelve-marine squad was in fact half an inch out of charge-range for the second, very relieved squad of Fire Warriors... 'Every cloud has a silver lining, when you're small you can sneak through...'

Turn Two for the Tau... and a *very* fluky set of dice rolls brought in nine crisis suits, twelve stealth suits and a Shas'o with his two-suit bodyguard. The only unit that *didn't* come on was a unit of eight gun drones, who quietly circled around up in the aether. But now to actually deep-strike. The dice-gods were feeling tricksy, as *none* of the deep-strikers actually landed on target. All but one of them drifted towards the enemy... meaning that his left flank was in charge range of some of my most valuable units, while the only one that had scattered *away* was a four-person Stealth team that drifted towards the assault squad. Oh well, I could always jump away in the assault move, right? Apparently not - my opponent produced a copy of Chapter Approved, where it says (among other Q&As) that if they deep strike, they don't get their bounce. :blink:

Another dose of evil laughter from the far side of the table had a sense of impending doom to it.

But apparently O'Forann had other ideas, as after a dazzling set of shots, the Iron Warrior left flank was left a set of smoking bodies, save for the assault squad way down across the board and a lone shell-shocked Chaos Marine who rolled snake-eyes on his leadership. B)

Back at the Thin Tau Line, five marines fell to long-range pulse-rifle fire. As for the six Fire Warriors on my right flank, hiding behind a line of barrels - the Table Wanderer who earlier asked what could deep strike came back and happened to mention that infantry couldn't block line of sight to a Tank... weeeelll... Six Fire Warriors fired. Two hit the Rhino. One penetrated, and rolled a six on the damage table... and then a five. Another tank goes up in flames, the explosion gouting flame out five inches across the entire 'assault' squad! Wounding ten of them! Who... proceeded to save all but two of the wounds.

Help! :(

Iron Warriors Turn Three, and the battle-field looked *very* different. Lots of Tau with Jump Packs scattered across where the left of his line used to be, being faced down with a lonely-looking Marine - who rolled 4 on his Last Man Standing. On his right flank, half the line kept running forwards, while the other half (now in range) opened fire on the Fire Warrior line. Thanks to a mixture of good cover saves and 4+ armour, only six of the remaining warriors fell. Neatly making it so I didn't have to test for leadership... since they'd just obliterated another six-tau squad. Leaving ten fire-warriors as my baseline, facing a frankly daunting set of marines - even with his left flank gone, it wasn't really likely that I could hold my 18" zone, was it? The centre of the line wheeled to face the suits on his left, and the Predator fired off his lascannon at my HQ squad... which lost a shield drone, as massed 4+ invulnerables held off the rest.

At this point the Iron Warrior Commander made a big show of shadow-punching a wall. ;)

The marine who was the left flank charged into a stealth unit, getting two attacks since he didn't fire. Unfortunately for him, the Stealth Suits had their portable-cover effect with them (rules-producing on my side, sounds of horror from the Iron Warrior Leader) and proceeded to strike first, wounding him four times - one of which got through his armour and dropped him.

Meanwhile, down where six Fire Warriors were hiding from ten assault marines who had just lost their ride and could easily obliterate them... they watched with stunned bemusement as the marines turned around and ran back where they came from, leaping atop the stealth squad that scattered in their direction and cutting them to pieces. Ah well, at least I could counter him, and he couldn't attack my other stealth squad in the area since they were four inches away. Then he reaches for two dice...

"But I thought you said we were playing new Assault Rules?"
"We are."
"Then... don't you have to consolidate?"

At this point, Table Wanderer ™ drifted back to explain the overrun rule. Apparently since he'd obliterated my squad in one round of combat, he could roll two dice to try to overrun into my next squad.

Things were not looking promising for the Deep Strike Incursion.

Then he rolled a two... and a one.

:D

Tau turn three. Rolling for Deep Strike, the Gun Drones showed up, and dropped perfectly on-target into the middle of his right-flank advance. With enemy units on all sides except for back towards the enemy board-edge, their life-expectancy wasn't good. Over on his far left, the six Fire-warriors were cautiously looking back over the barrels, and... double-taking since they still seemed to be alive. Then, spotting the assault squad 25" away (one inch away from a intimidated-looking stealth squad), they opened fire, and dropped two of them at the back of the squad. Both surviving stealth teams and a crisis team combined to obliterate the remainder of the squad in a hail of burst-cannon, fusion blasters and rapid-firing plasma rifles. B)

Against the centre of his line, the HQ squad fired all three fusion blasters at the front armour of the Predator... and managed to blow up one of its lascannon, then blow up the tank itself, sending it scattering off the board - narrowly missing a squad of Iron Warriors. The other two crisis teams opened fire on the Daemon Prince, taking him out with a wound to spare. This done, all three squads jumped back behind the smoking wreck of the Basilisk.

Never have I been so glad of *big* enemy tanks. B)

The Thin Tau Line opened up on the advancing Iron Warriors, causing two wounds - both of which were saved. The Gun Drones fired for their life - if they were to be anything more than a momentary deterrent, they had to pick their target carefully. Firing at the biggest squad in range (16 marines), they had two hits. Reroll misses since they (thankfully) were twin-linked... and that's six hits. Five wounds. And he failed every. Single. Save. And the pinning test. :blink:

<insane laughter from the Tau side of the board>

Turn Four for the Iron Warriors... and things aren't looking quite as rosy. The entire right flank stops in its track, and fires (rapid-fires, most of them) at the Drones - who, despite a great set of saves, eventually go down under the hail of fire. One Drone left at the end, who promptly breaks (leadership 4) and flees 17" down the table. For some strange reason, the Iron Warriors didn't seem too eager to close with the wreck of the Basilisk - 14" away - so instead they opened fire on the three squads who'd just downed the assault squad. After two squads lost their shots due to not being able to 'see' their targets - :rolleyes: - the third fired on the crisis suit unit and blew up one of the big suits with a lascannon. They passed their leadership, and it passed on to...

Tau Turn Four. Well, things certainly look different now... The gun drone fled another 14", and off the board - its mission complete. The six Tau left their barrels, and moved over through a small gap in the pipe (rolling 6 and 4 for difficult terrain), and settled there - with a beautiful fire arc over the battlefield. The Thin Tau Line managed to inflict another four casualties on the pinned Marine unit, which proceeded to break and run 9 inches, well below half strength (seven out of sixteen left). B)

The two stealth squads, the two-suit crisis squad, the two three-suit crisis squads and the HQ squad leap forwards, and in another beautiful set of dice rolls wiped out two of the surviving 'centre' squads, and broke the third - which fled off the board. The suits then 'bounced' after the right-flank attack, taking care to hide behind cover - except for the Stealth Suits, who 'accidentally' left themselves in plain view of the now-surrounded Iron Warriors.

Iron Warrior Turn Five.

"I can't believe I lost this game..."

Despite this heartening comment, the Iron Warriors had not given up yet! :unsure:

Refusing to take the bait proffered by the Stealth Suits, they kept on forwards, moving into 12" of the Thin Tau Line, and in a hail of bolter fire killing off nine of them. The fickle gods of dice had switched sides! The last Tau took one look at the mass of Iron Warriors descending on him, and fled (double sixes for leadership - he knew what he was doing ). The Iron Warriors were now just one inch outside the eighteen-inch area (we checked) - they could still win this... :huh:

Tau Turn Five, and the lone survivor of my baseline managed to rally at the board-edge. Who says bonding is good for nothing? Meanwhile, the surviving squad from 'Close Encounters of the Assaulty Squad Kind' chose *not* to fire at the Iron Warrior flank, instead hot-legging it along the inside of the pipe and *just* getting four of the six across the line into the 18" zone. :eek:

The Suit Swarm jumped after the Iron Warriors, Stealth Suits staying as close to eighteen inches from them as possible, and there was another hail of shooty death - the dice gods hadn't betrayed me after all! B)

The remaining two squads on this flank, relatively untouched... went down, hard. Then all the suits made a frantic jump for the 18" line, Stealth suits just clearing it while the crisis suits made a big menacing line behind them.

Iron Warrior Turn Six.

The shattered Iron Warrior unit from his right flank fled off the board, all seven of them.

There were no other Iron Warrior survivors.

Tau Victory! <much jumping up and down and cheering> :D

I've been promised a rematch next week, when he's finished reworking his army. :eek:

I see Heavy Bolters in my future...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey great report!

It would be nice if you'd post the rematch too!

hehe Table wanderer TM. How did you make the small TM thingy?
Okay, I will post it :) Although since I suspect there are a lot of heavier weapons on the way (Lascannon as well as Heavy Bolters), I'm digging up every drone I can find and converting them to Shield Drones.

I wonder if he knows that Shas'ui teamleaders for Fire Warriors can take Shield Drones too...? B)

Ah, and for the tm thing... I just stuck it in brackets - ™

And... I have a battle against Blood Angels this afternoon - only 1000 pts, but it could be interesting. Want me to post that one too?

·
Registered
523 Posts
So is it true that under the new assualt rules you can sweeping advance. I had been informed by many numerous people that you can either keep a unit in combat or consolidate 3". Everyone had told me that the sweeping advance rules no longer exsisted. I am so confused. Please tell me what you found out.

·
Registered
857 Posts
™ can also be produced by holding Option (on Macs anyway) and pressing 2. That's how I do it. Maybe Windows have a different key.

Good game!

·
Registered
436 Posts
good game... it is a shame that all your battles will come to nothing, as the Eldar will rise and crush the puny Tau scum (Moahahahahhahahaa...) :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good Job and Great Report, thank god Chaos lost... It is unfortunate though that your work against the Daemons does not absolve you of the fact that the Tau are Xenos and the Inquisition will deal with them in due time!

But other than that, awesome report!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Very good report. Easy and fun reading. Not too much fluff, not too little. And the Evil... *smacks self* I mean the GOOD ones, (Iron Warriors) can't win all the time... :D
Looking forward to reading about the rematch. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
MY BELOVED IRON WARRIORS! *sniff* so sad... i must now weep for the lost bretheren. then take vengence on the nearest tau player...hehehe the next time i see my buddies tau... they are goin down! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! --sorry bout that. nice job. *cough* xenos scum *cough* lol :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.