Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that our fiery aspect warriors can pretty much put out the same role given by the heavily armoured comrade the wraithguard.

Firedragons will win shooting its gun on a Marine by 2+ rolls.
There is 2 Firedragons for every Wraithguard.
Anti tank? Fire dragons have superior guns, and comes with melta bombs.
You can take 10 Fire dragons in a wave serpant instead of 5 wraithguard in waveserpant
and they cost less points.

Instant kill? Exarch BS5 fire pike will get the job done.

Ofcourse difference would be strength and armour. Though for roles, and such, they are very alike.

Wanted to know your take for either side... I already have 30 wraithguard, but it does sound interesting to take two times of that number.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i would go for the dragons any day of the week. they are cheaper, better against infantry and still eat land raiders for breakfast. i have been converted to them ever since 8 dragons managed 7 penetrating hints on a leman russ. however the wraithguard do look cooler and a T5 3+sv is nothing to sniff at. Then there is the nasty things they do to monoliths... But then i remember that they will kill a grot on a 4+ and i lose interest. it really depends on what your enemy is. wguard can be absolutly amazing or totally rubbish. dragons are consistantly 'just' good.

·
Favored of Tzeentch
3,140 Posts
Yeah, well, Fire Dragons are a lot more useful than Wraithguard. At least when in a transport. But they still work well in Iyanden armies... if anything, Wraithguard are better against the biggest baddest monsters out there. Fire Dragons wound a WL on 6+ you know, and they can't possibly take down a Monolith.

However, you usually take Fire Dragons to take down marines so they sort of have different roles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In a small army id take fire dragons every time, but in a 2000+ army id take some wraith guard for the reasons above. They arnt that great against weak troups, but if you get them to fight against the right enemy they can own.

·
Registered
389 Posts
farmerralph said:
i would go for the dragons any day of the week. they are cheaper, better against infantry and still eat land raiders for breakfast. i have been converted to them ever since 8 dragons managed 7 penetrating hints on a leman russ. however the wraithguard do look cooler and a T6 3+sv is nothing to sniff at. Then there is the nasty things they do to monoliths... But then i remember that they will kill a grot on a 4+ and i lose interest. it really depends on what your enemy is. wguard can be absolutly amazing or totally rubbish. dragons are consistantly 'just' good.

I wish they were toughness 6 then I would take them more often and be worth 35 pts

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
Murekhalir said:
Wanted to know your take for either side... I already have 30 wraithguard, but it does sound interesting to take two times of that number.
:w00t:

designer891 said:
I wish they were toughness 6 then I would take them more often and be worth 35 pts
Or if they would have 2 wounds.
I like the Wraithguard, mostly becuase they are really cool (and it was soooo fun to kill The Nightbringer with one shot, aaaahhh).

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I thought the C'tan had a special rule to negate the wraithcannon.......

"If a wraithcannon inflicts instant death on a C'tan, it will not be transported into the warp but will take a wound without the benefit of its invunerable saving throw......."

·
Favored of Tzeentch
3,140 Posts
I annihilated a Land Raider with a single Wraithcannon a while ago, that felt pretty sweet. Also carnifexi and such are easy to nail as well.

·
Advocatus Diaboli
4,571 Posts
I like wraithguard. I find them less risky than fire dragons, since dragons have the impressive ability of getting into 6" range and promptly making a tank explode in a 6" radius...

Wraithguard can sit at 12" and just watch the fireworks. Wraithguard can just about take some return fire with their high T and decent save, while fire dragons will get scythed down by heavy bolters.

And of course I think the comedy instant kill moments are worth their weight in gold (did it to a wraithlord once :D ) :w00t:.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not to mention that Wraithguard can stand up to the inevitable counter charge. A few toughness 5 3+ troops can really tie up a CC unit for a while. Admitedly they don't do much killing, but they sure can take a beatin'.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've never heard this before, and thought of it so-one sided for a second.
I think when you look at these infantry units it only comes down to 2 things, which are obvious, attack and defense. Now you must look at the FD: their attack (both cc and shooting) ultimatly matches the wraithhguards both ways. Defence wise the wraithguard wins give or take a few skills. Now in addition to this analysis, there is also the points cost which obviously the advantage goes towards the Fire dragons.

Tough choice, but I would definatly say wraithguard, for those abundance of points over the FD, they have the highly proclaimed T5, which most troops don't have. And of course their save.

HPA

·
Registered
838 Posts
fire dragons. for me there's no question...
but then i've never found either to be particularly effective.

fire dragons are so much cheaper (btw i quit using an exarch ages ago, just not very effective) that its unreal.

while neither will survive for very long fire dragons are easier to transport (min sized guard squad doesn't fit in a falcon) so are more likely to be where you want them without having to invest in the frankly overexpensive waveserpent.

their guns are more than adequate for what i need them for, they're pretty cheap for a falcon squad etc.

whereas wraithguard are very expensive, i have to allocate a warlock to them if i want to move. they're not good enough to stand up to the kind of firepower my opponents throw around (loads of plasma) and they don't get as many shots per point as fire dragons. frankly they just don't cut it.

did i mention they're real expensive (points wise) per model?

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
I got to agree with with most of TzarNikolai points. I personally like Firedragons but thats just my opinion.

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tend to lean more towards Fire dragons.. They just have more advantages in my eyes. Though I'm not going to complain at wriathguard at all... i've got my hands filled with them.

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
I usually don't because I don't think its worth the extra points. I usually just drive mine up in a Wave Serpant and when I let them out they're around 12" within the enemy so they can fire so the extra range from the Firepike doesn't really help me. I think it'd be nice to have but not for that amount of points.

Ben

·
Simple Green.
969 Posts
It depends on the role that the squad will be doing, if they are tank-hunting Fire Dragons are probably the better option as they are cheaper and will get 2d6 if withing 6". Now, if you are character hunting say..for a pimped Daemon Prince, the Wraithguard are the way to go as any 6's and the DP is sucked into the warp :yes: nice way to get rid of that pesky little bugger dont ya think?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts