Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a returning 40K player and have decided to go back to my imperial guard. I plan to play friendly games and then maybe a tournament for fun and experience. I am not too bothered about winning a tourney yet.

This is what I have so far from the new Codex.

HQ. 180

CCS. General with plasma pistol, Mortar, Melta gun, Heavy flamer and master of Ordnance. All mounted in Chimera

Troops. 635

PCS. Heavy Flamer. Chimera

Squad 1. Flamer, Commissar and Chimera

Squad 2. Flamer, Commissar and Chimera

Support Squad. Three Melta guns.

Veterans Squad. Three Melta guns and Chimera.

Fast Attack. 210

2 Scout Sentinels with Heavy Flamer.

Vendetta gunship.

Heavy Support. 495

Leman Russ tanks with hull Lascannon.

How does this look to people?

·
1,648 Posts
Welcome back! Not a bad start for the new codex.

HQ. 180
CCS. General with plasma pistol, Mortar, Melta gun, Heavy flamer and master of Ordnance. All mounted in Chimera
A good rule of thumb is that you do not want to mix and match special weapons and your special weapon should compliment the purpose of the heavy weapon should you take one. Heavy flamer is never worth it IMO, for the same point cost you can get 4 standard flamers and do just as well if not better.

Also these guys have BS4, you don't want to be wasting that on flamers.

Meltagun is a close-range weapon requiring you to move up close to use it, which means you won't be firing the mortar or using the MoO.

Personally I don't find the MoO worth taking. Yes he'll probably get off that one lucky shot to make his points back, but I'd rather spend the points on something more reliable.

If you do choose to go for a stationary CCS, I'd suggest camo-cloaks over the Chimera.

Troops. 635

PCS. Heavy Flamer. Chimera
Flamers are always better than heavy flamers as above. What is your weapon set-up on the chimeras?

Squad 1. Flamer, Commissar and Chimera
Squad 2. Flamer, Commissar and Chimera
Drop the commissars, they work most efficiently with combined squads on foot. They are a waste of points on these mounted squads, IMO. I'd swap the flamers for grenade launchers to give you some range, versatility, and higher strength to hit transports and MCs.

Support Squad. Three Melta guns.
Not the most efficient choose as the still are only BS3. They will die very quickly if they don't have a transport. Personally I'd switch this to 3 flamers or 2 flamers/democharge and stuff them in the vendetta.

Good, I'd take a second squad of these.

2 Scout Sentinels with Heavy Flamer.
Autocannons or multilasers are the only thing I'd ever put on sentinels (scout or heavy). Don't squadron these if you can.

Vendetta gunship.
Good, a second for target saturation would be nice.

Drop the lascannons Russes are only BS3 and should be firing at hordes/MEQs anyway. Vehicles are for the meltavets and Vendetta. I'd suggest looking at the variants, I personally don't ever take the standard Russ as there are far better choices out there.

Consider dropping one and putting in some hydras, you really are lacking anti-transport without autocannons in the line squads.

How does this look to people?
Overall I feel the list lacks a bit of focus. Pick a specific role you'd like each unit to take and tool them out accordingly. With only one melta veteran squad, one vendetta, and no autocannons any mechanized list will roll through you with very little effort. You need some more stuff in there that can handle transports and high AV.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, the commissars are in there for fluff reasons. The whole army is mechanised for the same reasons. I want to keep the feel for the army right so I will leave those in but have changed the rest. I know it will make it less competative but I can put up with that!.

Here is the revised version.

HQ. 155

CCS. General with plasma pistol, 4 Melta guns. All mounted in Chimera, Multi Laser and Heavy Bolter

Troops. 670

PCS. 2 Meltas. Chimera

Squad 1. Flamer, Autocannon, Commissar and Chimera

Squad 2. Flamer, Autocannon, Commissar and Chimera

Veterans Squad. Three Melta guns and shotguns. - ride in the vendetta

Fast Attack. 210

2 Scout Sentinels with Autocannon.

Vendetta gunship.

Heavy Support. 465

Leman Russ- Demolisher tank.

Leman Russ tank.

Leman Russ tank.

All Chimeras have Multi Laser and Heavy Bolters.

How does that look?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
heavy flamers over heavy bolters,. because BS3 won't hit much 100% of the time ( meaing most in my case :) ). heavy flames are also better anti-horde which is what you need than heavy bolters. also demolishers provide more threat and punch than a normal russ and you get them for +15 more points! a bargain if you ask me.
thanks
antique_nova

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will change the Heavy Bolter then. Is it worth also changing the Multi Laser to Flamer? Also I went for the traditional Leman Russ as the Battle Cannon has a massive range and a large template. It should be able to take out most units of troops.

·
1,648 Posts
Well, taking the fluff into account, I'll change up my suggestions a bit.

Thanks for the help, the commissars are in there for fluff reasons. The whole army is mechanised for the same reasons. I want to keep the feel for the army right so I will leave those in but have changed the rest. I know it will make it less competative but I can put up with that!.

Here is the revised version.

CCS. General with plasma pistol, 4 Melta guns. All mounted in Chimera, Multi Laser and Heavy Bolter
I'm wary of putting plasma on the general just in case he tries to kill himself. I highly suggest taking the multilaser/heavy flamer combo. The thing with meltaguns is that with a 12 inch range most things will be able to assault the chimera. In order to prevent auto-hits the chimera should always be moving meaning only 1 weapon can be fired.

Multilaser/HF means that at range you can pump out high strength shots (anti-transport, putting wounds on MCs, etc) and when you get up close to use the meltaguns you can switch over to the heavy flamer.

PCS. 2 Meltas. Chimera
With the CCS and Veteran squads, I think you have more than enough melta. I'd suggest switching these over to grenade launchers. Its a fun combo that's done well for me before.

Squad 1. Flamer, Autocannon, Commissar and Chimera

Squad 2. Flamer, Autocannon, Commissar and Chimera
Well, if these are mounted up, then you can't take advantage or orders. Not the most efficient choice combing that fact with commissars, but hey, if its for the fluff.

[qoute]Veterans Squad. Three Melta guns and shotguns. - ride in the vendetta
I'd advise against putting meltaveterans in the Vendetta. Here is why: Vendettas do very well hanging back by your lines putting out shots at a distance, so the meltavets will be sitting inside not doing much. I'd also suggest keeping the lasguns over the shotties. You can dig up a discussion on the forums on the same topic and decide for yourself, though.

A cheap SWS with flamers is my preference to riding in a vendie. Meltavets would go better in a Valkyrie equipped with rocket pods.

Fast Attack. 210

Vendetta gunship.
Looks good to me. I always have fun outflanking autocannon sentinels. In 5 games one of mine wracked up the following kills: 1 battle wagon, 1 Predator, 2 vindicators, 2 Rhinos, 1 Razor back, held up a defiler in assault, and killed a terminator in CC.

Granted the last two were flukes, but hitting vehicles in side/rear armor when outflanking is pure gold. :soldier:

Heavy Support. 465

Leman Russ- Demolisher tank.

Leman Russ tank.

Leman Russ tank.
Not bad, not bad. Like I said, maybe drop one of the Russes for a squadron of 2 Hydras (or griffins if you have trouble with hordes). Proxy some stuff in and play around with what works best.

How does that look?
Ehhh, 70 points in commissars for two-ten man squads really seems like a waste to me. You sure you want to go that route?

I'd also highly recommend taking the ML/HF on all your melta-equipped squads. ML/HB would probably be better on the line squads considering they need to stay stationary to use the autocannon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OK, I think I will scrap the commissars, they do seem to eat up too many points. If I also scrap the plasma pistol and change the vets for a support squad with flamers I get back 130 points. So my army will look something like this.

HQ. 145

CCS. General , 4 Melta guns. All mounted in Chimera, Multi Laser and Heavy Flamer

Troops. 550

PCS. 4 grenade launchers. Chimera multi laser Heavey Flamer

Squad 1. grenade launcher, Autocannon, and Chimera multi laser and HB

Squad 2. grenade launcher, Autocannon, and Chimera multi laser and HB

SWS 3 flamers. - ride in the vendetta

Veterans Squad. Three Melta guns, shotguns and Chimera multi laser and heavy flamer

Fast Attack. 340

Vendetta gunship.

Bane wolf

Heavy Support. 465

Leman Russ - Demolisher tank.

Leman Russ tank.

Leman Russ tank.

how does this look?

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Thanks for the help, the commissars are in there for fluff reasons.
A fluff player! My cynical heart warms.

OK, I think I will scrap the commissars
Aww...

My typical list is also half & half vehicles/infantry platoons. If you intend to make heavy use of Russes then, in my experience, you need to dedicate at least one squad for protecting them from close combat--Russes die as easily as Chimerae in hand-to-hand. In your next game, try one infantry squad with no equipment and line them up in front of your Russes. They have just enough leadership to bear up under shooting, move just as quickly and will take a charge for the tank(s) behind them, giving you a critical extra turn to dakka away.

For a single CCS I think plasma guns would be a better choice than meltaguns. Why? The Company Commander can order his own squad to use BiD while still in the vehicle. The rerolls prevent overheat and the blaze of firepower is quite possibly the Guard's best anti-Monstrous Creature unit. Frags Terminators and light vehicles, too.

I'm a fan of hull lascannons on Russes; heavy bolters don't stack well with the battle cannon due to wound allocation and ineffectiveness on vehicles. With mechanized lists being so popular, bringing enough antitank firepower to demobilize the enemy in the first turn is a high priority in my book.

Your list bring back echoes of last edition's mechanized list, the one that used Chimerae as firebases rather than transports. It is still viable and, looking at your various lists, I think you might enjoy it more than most players. Consider this concept list:

165 CCS, plasmagun x4, Chimera
135 CCS, melta x3, Chimera

415 Platoon 1
40 PCS, autocannon
50 Squad, nothing
160 Squad, Missile Launcher, Commissar, Chimera
165 Squad, Lascannon, Commissar, Chimera

365 Platoon 2
40 PCS, autocannon
160 Squad, Missile Launcher, Commissar, Chimera
165 Squad, Lascannon, Commissar, Chimera

90 Sentinel x2, autocannon

165 LRBT, hull lascannon
165 LRBT, hull lascannon

1500, give or take. I don't have my Codex handy.

Early game, the infantry dig into cover outside the transports so they can be ordered by the CCS units. Mid-game, the CCS units go mobile and blunt the enemy offensive (typically Terminators in a Land Raider). Late game, if there are objectives to be taken then the infantry can mount up and go for them, tankshocking any hostile infantry off instead of using special weapons. (Or they can simply bug out if they're about to be overrun.) In addition, if you put the Chimerae near the sides of the table then outflankers will have a harder time overrunning your position. The Commissars' leadership helps make up the low model count and lack of vox & standard. The 'nothing' squad is a speedbump to either protect vehicles, take a bad charge (from assault Terminators, outflanking genestealers, etc) and/or give cover saves if terrain is inadequate. Plenty of options to be explored!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.