Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Completly new with Eldar, have been a Nids player and looking at bulding a fast, agile army list. Mostly play against Tau, Orks and Chaos. Anyway i have had a go at a list, but have no idea help would be appreciated, here goes:

HQ
1 Farseer, spirstone, Jet bike, Doom, Guide = 150pts

Troops
3 Guardian Jet Bikes, Shuriken cannon, Warlock, destructor, Singing spear = 112pts
3 Guardian Jet Bikes, Shuriken cannon, Warlock, destructor, Singing spear = 112pts
5 Pahfinders = 120pts
10 Dire Avengers, Exarch, PW &Shimmering shield = 147pts

Elites
10 stricking Scorpians, Exarch, Scorpion Claws, Shadow strike, Stalker = 212pts

Fast Attack
7 Warp spiders, Exarch, Spinneret, powerblades, surprise assult, withdraw = 228pts
5 Swooping Hawks, Exarch, Sunrifle, Skyleap, intercept = 173pts
5 Shining Spears, Exarch, star ance, Withdraw = 227pts

=1499 Aprox.

I havn't yet bought anything, so i'm open to all suggestions. i don't wan to sit back and shoot, i find it boaring. maybe more balance. You lot will have more knowledge then I in this and thats why am i here, to learn

Thankyou For your time

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Hi,

Completly new with Eldar, have been a Nids player and looking at bulding a fast, agile army list. Mostly play against Tau, Orks and Chaos. Anyway i have had a go at a list, but have no idea help would be appreciated, here goes:
ok well pretty ubiquitous mix of MEQ and light infantry in your opponents, how are you intending to hurt them? shooting or combat?
HQ
1 Farseer, spirstone, Jet bike, Doom, Guide = 150pts
hmm, woth getting him a spear, if he goes anywhere near opponents he can take down tanks, not sure what you are intending to use guide and doom on, can you elaborate (obviously if you lose one power you can lose the stones too
Troops
no, these will break absurdly easily, ditch destructor and take embolden
5 Pahfinders = 120pts
Not brilliant, they dont really kill fast enough to recover points unles there are mosterous creatures or expensive stuff like termies around
10 Dire Avengers, Exarch, PW &Shimmering shield = 147pts
no, ok always give the exarch bladestorm, and if you have a shimmer shield take defend as well
Elites
fine
Fast Attack
7 Warp spiders, Exarch, Spinneret, powerblades, surprise assult, withdraw = 228pts
dont like spinneretter rifle, otherwise fine, you can always drop the odd spider to pay for any extras
5 Swooping Hawks, Exarch, Sunrifle, Skyleap, intercept = 173pts
hawks are terrible, just occasionally you will catch someone with haywire grenades, but it will only happen once,they are too easy to take down and inflict too little damage
ditch and rething
5 Shining Spears, Exarch, star ance, Withdraw = 227pts
skilled rider is very usefull here (i never go without it) , also the unit is really at its best when it is joined by an autarch with laser lance and either mandiblasters or banshee mask, he adds 5-6 str6 power weapon hits that rarely miss on the charge.
=1499 Aprox.

I havn't yet bought anything, so i'm open to all suggestions. i don't wan to sit back and shoot, i find it boaring. maybe more balance. You lot will have more knowledge then I in this and thats why am i here, to learn

Thankyou For your time
ok doki, so blanace hgas all sorts of meanings, but I get what you are after, I would ditch the farseer as he isnt really giving you anything, amend the warlocks abilities on the bikes, sort out the exarch powers and consider the weapons and wargear changes I have suggested, ditch the hawks and add an autarch, at which point my major concern is other than the spears/autarch combo which is lethal, he may well ignore your mobile stuff and just hit the very static stuff

·
Registered
12 Posts
G day

hey welcome to eldar im fairly new my self

HQ
Farseer is fine though I can only see him guiding the Dire Avengers which means he doesnt need the added speed of the bike.

Troops
Not sure on the Bikes being in such small squads i personally would combine to save buying the extra warlock but thats up to youre personal preference
Pathfinders nothing wrong there.

Avengers with the speed of the list they are either going to weigh you down or be left behind i would find away to get a searpent or drop them.

Elites
Scorpains are fine no problems there.

FA
Hawks are something that many people dislike though not having tried them myself i sa no more.
Spiders are fine and spears the same.

Only thing i notice is the lack of Heavy support, personally i would drop the Avengers and buy a Wraithlord for Brightlance and EML. Combine the bike squads and add an extra spider. Ill leave hawks alone and other can comment on that one. The farseer can lose the bike or reconfigured to have a spear and mindwar for weapon and tank hunting.
btw im a little unsure off your Avenger Squads points i think you may be wrong but I dont have a codex handy.

Hope i helped

EDIT: ^^^ beaten too it by a few minutes :(

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Sorry if this is a bit rough but really disagree with some of your advice Ghost and since it is an eldar newb..
hey welcome to eldar im fairly new my self

HQ
Farseer is fine though I can only see him guiding the Dire Avengers which means he doesnt need the added speed of the bike.
the guy costs asmuch as a squad of DA, why guide them? they hit 2/3rd of their shots anyway, meaning you add 2 hits per 9 shots, far better to spend the points on something more efficient
Troops
Not sure on the Bikes being in such small squads i personally would combine to save buying the extra warlock but thats up to youre personal preference
small bike squads like this have multiple uses, not least killing tanks (that warlock singing spear)
Pathfinders nothing wrong there.
5 pathfinders = 5 shots = 4 hits = 2 wounds, = 1 dead marine per turn, if they are ignored they will recover 90 points after 6 turns, allright it is rough maths, but it isnt far off, they are cracking if they face the right opponent, but once you are shooting at marines or CSM then they dont kill fast enough, and againsts orks or tau, with cheaper troops, it get worse
Only thing i notice is the lack of Heavy support, personally i would drop the Avengers and buy a Wraithlord for Brightlance and EML.
this is why you miss the points of the bikes, which are better at killing tanks than the WL
Combine the bike squads and add an extra spider.
extra spider is neither here nor there, combining the bike squads just gives your opponent a single target to hit, unless you go a full 9 man bike squad, their firepower is not significant vs infantry, the return fire will down them as easily as tac marines

again sorry if that wa a little harsh

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lol

hahaha Its fine im new aswell so I take it as constructive critisism.
Though on the Farseer i was questioning its role in the army and saying the only thing available in the army to guide was the avengers which does not warrant the bike as the avengers move 6 inch

The Bikes, I definately agree with you Cheredianine though prefer larger squads myself but like I said up to personal preference.
Great point with the Pathfinders I completely forgot about the armies he will be facing, and I think if he wants to use them the small squad and pathfinder upgrade is the only way to go.

OK yup right again... lol the bikes are better at killing tanks but still feel the avengers are'nt adding much to the list with there speed and a wraithlord may be a better option but now thinking about it more the WL will require a psyker in range... So Im thinking get a transport for the Avengers after reworking the exarch like Cheredanine mentions, maybe by losing the hawks?

I agree with cheredanine on all his points mine are simply my view which is based on very little experience. But one point i will argue is the avengers role in the list

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
dont disagree that transported avengers are far more potent, hence I didnt comment on that one, but if he did have a singel transport in there i woulg be worried as it gives all your opponents something to shoot their AT at, if you do that then the WL may be a better option than the bikes as they would spread the AT around somewhat

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay thankyou for your comments so far i've tried to digest what you have told me and some what radically changed it around, it goes something like this

HQ
1 Autech, Eldar Jet bike, Mandiblaster, laser lance, Fusion Gun = 140pts

ELites

Troops
5 Guardian Jet bikes, Shuriken Cannon, Warlock, Embolden, Singing Spear = 151pts
5 Guardian Jet bikes, Shuriken Cannon, Warlock, Embolden, Singing Spear = 151pts

Fast Attack
5 Shining Spear, Exarch, Star Lance, Withdraw, Skilled Rider = 237pts

7 Warp spiders, Exarch, additional dethspinner, powerblades, surprise assult, withdraw = 228pts

=1498pts Aprox.

Okay so i have taken out the static and replaced it with more movability and hopefully bolstering the 2 Jet bike squads, i've decided to double the shining spear autech combo, because every body says it works so well, so why not have 2 of a good thing.

i could drop either the warpsider or scorpions and double up the others unit, given with 2 of 1 list, or leave it as it is. another thing i'm worried about and this from purely lack of never playing with them, do i have enough fire power to thin down and cope with the number of orks. should i put in two squads of Avengers or Fire prisms on paper would seem very effective at this role. do i need to bother?

Thankyou

·
I AM the Evil Twin!
4,989 Posts
This is not too bad a list overall. You will suffer against horde armies though as you mentioned. I would personally drop the warp spiders and take a Fire Prism to take out horde units.
This way you could concentrated your fire on one unit with the fire prism and the guardian jetbikes before finishing them off with a concerted attack with the shining spears.

Your autarchs are best used a your tank hunters, working in concert with the shining spears or even leading the guardian jetbikes, however do not let them get draged down in protracted combats as they will not survive.

Your striking scorpions are also very effective at taking on horde units providing they get the charge as their high number of attacks, good initiative and strength coupled with their 3+ save means they will survive much of what comes back at them.

JvK :happy:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
looking at the list, i wasn't too happy with it on paper, but i have been able to form the core of what i want, its just finding that necessary filler to 'balance' the list

HQ

Troops

Fast Attack

total = 1056pts

So this is what i am definitely sticking with. on top of this i have decided to put in a Fire Prism to cope with Hords

Heavy Support
Fire prism, spirit stones, Holo field, Shuriken cannon = 170pts

Total = 1226pts

that leaves me with 274pts. do i spend that on:

10 Warp spiders, Exarch, additional dethspinner, powerblades, withdraw = 262pts

putting me to a grand total of = 1488pts, or another fire prism at 170pts that puts me to a total of 1396pts, leaving me 104pts.

i'm thinking warp spiders as i have heard and read a lot of good things about them and there effectiveness and are less easily targeted then a fire prism, but it wouldn't hurt to have a 'back up' prism as 1 prism is an easy target? if i did take the second prism what then should i spend my remaining 100pts on as well?

thanks for the help so far, i'd just like to get this right before i spend what little monies i have.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Hmm to be honest dont like 2 sets of spears and autarch, this is a decaptiation unit, it will eat terminators, command squads, moster chaos stuff, in facy it will eat most stuff with the excpetion of hoards, its ideal targets are expensive stuff.

But it will eventually go down to attrition, it needs to hit hard enought to cripple a unit but may end up wiping it out, leaving it standing in the open in front of your enemies guns, if it remains in combat it needs to hit and run on his turn, in which case, you have to fight the combat in his turn where you are at str3 and have no power weapons, hence it will take casualties,

this attrition means the unit avaerages about 2.5 unit kills before it goes down (it can cope with the attrition right up to the point where the exaarch goes down, then it is stuffed), hence pick your targets for the first and second charge well, usually it isnt a problem because expensive stuff is at the front trying to mash you

Also I think you will end up using the prism tank on tanks, but that really isnt a problem

Consider:
dropping 1 autarch and 1 spear squad
lose 2 bikes of both troops squads (so you have 3 and a warlock in each squad)
that should add over 400 points for you to play with,
then consider:
Adding a large bike squad for anti hoard (9 bikes, 3 cannon with or without warlock)
Adding war walkers, vypers and/or spiders

note on spiders:
Spiders lack AP which makes them less than ultra efficient against MEQs, but their ability to deep strike and hit what your opponent thinks is safe (including rear armour of tanks and tieng up dev squads) is very usefull, they are also an odd unit for eldar in that you dont need to min/max, most eldar stuff you want max or min numbers, with spiders it is less important, hence you canuse the squad to maipulate the overall points total, by adding or removing a spider, without breaking the way the unit works

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Okay doke, i shall take that into considration, play with the list a little more. haha, at least i kinda have a core of what i'm working around...i think.

my theroy as to why i chose 2

the reason for doubling all was so that i could attack down the flanks with the same units and probably pinciring at the end, if i was to take two prisms then again i would replicate them on both sides fo the board, where as if i took the spider approch then i would use them on the flank that is heaviest (congested). overall aim would be to put my oppent into a state 'confusion' almost so that what ever flank he decides to focus on he is going to get up his rear and vice versa.

thats pretty much my overall reason as to why i was doubling, going for a simmetrical look.

I've given it some thought and have come up with 2 lists.

HQ

Troops
3 Guardian Jet bikes, Shuriken Cannon, Warlock, Embolden, Singing Spear = 107pts
3 Guardian Jet bikes, Shuriken Cannon, Warlock, Embolden, Singing Spear = 107pts

Fast attack
7 Shining Spear, Exarch, Star Lance, Withdraw, Skilled Rider = 307pts
7 Warp spiders, Exarch, additional dethspinner, powerblades, surprise assault = 191pts
7 Warp spiders, Exarch, additional dethspinner, powerblades, surprise assault = 191pts

Heavy support

Total = 1490pts

Or:

HQ

Troops
9 Guardian Jet bikes, 3 Shuriken Cannon = 228pts

Fast attack
7 Shining Spear, Exarch, Star Lance, Withdraw, Skilled Rider = 307pts
10 Warp spiders, Exarch, additional dethspinner, powerblades, surprise assault = 257pts

Heavy support

Total = 1489pts

i've looked at and don't really want to put in the vypers or war walkers just because of there fragility. Unless someone can convince me otherwise? i've also upped the Spears from 5 to 7 on the hopes of giving them a longer life, i considered by the time i assault with them i would probably have lost 2.

Anyway, what do you think, any more of an improvement? or am i just going round in circles

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.