Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the first time ive put together at whfb army. For starter i'll be mainly playing my friend, who uses high elves. He seems to prefer infantry units, although he may field one unit of silver helms.

Thane
Rune axe with Rune of fury
shield
Rune of stone 97 pt total

Dwarf warrior x 18
Veteran and standard
shields 182 pt total

Dwarf warrior x 18
Veteran and standard
shields 182 pt total

Quarreller x 15
Veteran and standard
shields 197 pt total

Iron breaker x 14
standard and musician
Rune of battle 225 pt total

Bolt thrower x 2
Engineer x 2 Pt total 120

Points total 1003.

The thane will be with the iron breakers to give them a total of 15, hence no Ironbeard. (Possibly change rune of battle to rune of stoicism)

I decided to go with quarrellers and BT's as Elf armour is pretty thin and the quarrellers will at least let me match range with the Longbows of the High elves. This way i can thin out any high elf elites like swordmasters or even phoenix guard.

I gave the quarrellers a partial command and shields as i expect them to get used as a flanking unit seeing as its only 1000pts. That gives me 4 units able to CC, which means i should be able to trap and then flank some pointy eared elves as they should have fewer models/units.

The CC units have gone for more staying power than high damage so i took shields rather than GW's. This should also let me soak up arrow fire a little more until CC and mean i survive the first strike. Also i figured that even with HW's i should be able to get through elf toughness and armour.

Anyone have any better ideas? Any tactics ideas appreciated too!

·
Shrubs for the Blood God
1,144 Posts
A unit of 15 Quarrellers is fairly unwieldly, especially for countercharge work. Unless you always have a hill it is going to be very hard to set up in a line so all 15 can shoot. Unless you plan on leaving them in a block for ranks, in which case you have spent SPECIAL troop prices for a sub par CC unit that will only shoot 5 shots a turn. I would suggest shaving the Quarrellers down to 10 and giving them GW's. This makes them a great flanker unit and they are still small enough to take full advantage of their shooting every turn.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok ive adjusted it slightly to fit in with what you recommend. I used the extra points to up the warriors to 20 each. Im hoping that the quarrellers and BTs will force my opponent to get close as soon as possible. Especially due to wimpy elf armour.

Thane
Rune axe with Rune of fury
shield
Rune of stone
97 pt total

Dwarf warrior x 20
Full command
shields
205 pt total

Dwarf warrior x 20
Full command
shields
205 pt total

Quarreller x 10
Veteran and standard
Great weapons
197 pt total

Iron breaker x 14 (+ Thane)
standard and musician
Rune of battle
225 pt total

Bolt thrower x 2
Engineer x 2
Pt total 120

Points total 1002.

Any tactics ideas as this will be my first game?

·
Shrubs for the Blood God
1,144 Posts
Check your points total on your Quarrellers, it seems a bit steeper than it should be. Don't have the book with me so I can't confirm.

2 things I forgot to tell you.

1. Dont run a standard in the Quarrellers. Thats 100 free vp's to your opponent if he charges them and destroys them.

2. You should drop a rune of penetraition on both your BT's and a rune of fire on one. This makes your BT's all round good units that can be used against any type of enemy.

3. Your Thane could be a bit more beefy than he is now. A master rune of striking would be pretty standard. Check this forums permanent threads for a scetion on common rune builds for Heros and Lords.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so ive rejigged the army quite a bit as you can see. Im thinking of it more as a general 1000pt army now rather than my main opponent being HE, mainly due to i dont like powergaming and i realised thats exactly what i was doing. The force is an old style dwarf army. None of that gunpowder malarky!

Thane (General) fights with ironbreakers 129pts
rune of stone
GW-rune of fury/striking/kragg the grim

BT + engineer 85pts
Rune of penetrating

BT + engineer 90pts
Rune of penetrating + burning

Quarreller x 10

Quarreller x 10

Warrior x 24 (4 ranks of 6) 205pts
Full command
Shields

Ironbreaker x 14 (+general) 237pts
Full command
Standard rune of battle

Army total 1002pts

Im hoping that most people will try and concentrate on the IBs, for the first few battles at least, and so the general has gone with them to deal high strength hits. He has the GW as he pretty much strikes last anyway and +2str GW is better than +1 rune of cleaving. He should get 4 str 6 attacks with WS7. As he is in a unit the 3+ AS over 1+ shouldnt be too much loss (I hope). Set up will mainly be Inf blocks to centre, Quarrellers on flanks with BT's at extreme edges. That way the Quarrellers can at least shield them with missile fire if needed and BTs get flank shots on advancing troops. I should have enough firepower to force enemy armies to close.

Any ideas? I do feel its a little Infantry light for dwarfs. Its only my first dwarf army and im still painting models.

·
The Dvl in Pale Moonlight
889 Posts
Ok, my last post got eaten so I´ll just go straight to it ;

1. Drop the gear on the thane, costs too much IMO and a thane with a GW and RoStone does almost the same job but alot cheaper.
2. Add shields to the quarrellers.
3. Bump up the warriors to 25 and go 5x5 instead. Less room for opponents to stack up models(and therefor extra attacks).
4. Any spare points, well can go anywhere really. Should have some room for more ironbreakers I think and of not... hmm could just add some more warriors then!.

Cheers and good luck

·
Shrubs for the Blood God
1,144 Posts
In a 1000 point game I would shave the warriors down to a block of 20 and beef the IB's up to 20, then give your thane an oathstone...presto...every armies worst nightmare...a dwarf unit you can't flank. Thats just my thoughts though...list is already looking really solid.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol ok so whats a good points cost for a thane at 1000pts. One person said my thane was too weak then the other says hes too beefy. I can't win!:) so lose the runes and get an oathstone maybe? n! I'll look at dropping warriors and beefing IBs (means ill have to buy 5 more IBs tho). And is it really worth shields on the quarrellers? dont expect them to get shot and if charged they are screwed anyway

·
The Dvl in Pale Moonlight
889 Posts
Different people, different playstyles I guess. Shields are worth it, better save against shooting and can use the 1 hw + shield bonus for a nice 4+ save. Not bad on WS4 T4 troops. As for the thane, I dont quite like him too pimped out in 1k games as he isnt getting tougher but you spend alot of points on him to get him there.

So yeah, I´d go with the shields and in as many ironbreakers as possible.

Cheers

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so its now looking

Thane 76pts
GW and shield (So i can choose depending on combat, I took shield to use up 2 of last 4 points)
Rune of stone

BT + engineer 85pts
Rune of penetrating

BT + engineer 90pts
penetrating and burning

Ironbreaker x 19 (+thane) 302pts
Full command
Rune of battle

Warrior x 20 205 pts
full command
Shields

Quarreller x 10 120pts
shields

Quarreller x 10 120pts
shields

I couldnt afford a rune stone. Besides i wasnt sure if i wanted to root one of my only two (and most expensive) melee units to the spot. As my opponent is mainly HEs he usually makes his rally role on next turn so i dont want to have him just avoid the IBs and destroy the rest of my force. Hopefully the IBs should be able to take enough punishment anyway. Thanks for the help guys/gals (whichever u are!). Im hoping this list may force my HE opponent to rethink his own strategy and list!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.