Librarium Online Forums banner

First army list (newb) 1000 pts Friendly Shooty

767 views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  viruk 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I'm new to Warhammer and thus Wood elves aswell, me and a few other friends decided to all start playing these are the armies they chose:

Hordes of Chaos
Vampire Counts
Dark elves
High elves
Wood elves aka me

So after reading the Army book a bit and being new to the game. I made the following list and was wondering if you guys could take a look at it and maybe say what I did right and what wrong. Well without further ado here is the list:

Spellsinger Lv1
2 Dispell Scroll 140

Wood elf Noble
Waywatcher Kindred
Hail of Doom Arrows 140

Glade Guard 10
Musician 126

Glade Guard 10
Musician 126

Dryads 8
No upgrade 96

Dryads 8
No upgrade 96

Wardancers 7
Full Command 147

Waywatchers 6
Shadow Sentinel 128

Total points 999

My main strategy is to induce as much damage to my opponent with shooting until either I come close to them or they come close to me for my Wardancers assisted with Dryads to pick off my enemy units one at a time. With a Spellsinger doing assisting Magic, for that I picked Treesinging and The Hidden Path. While at the same time my Waywatchers with Noble will harass the enemy with my Glade guard.. So this is my List I hope it's any good and any advice will be appreciated. =)

Edit: Updated the list

See less See more
#2 ·
Hero's
Wood elf Noble
Waywatcher kindred
110 points
You have better options than this guy. An alter noble with Hail of Doom Arrow and Helm of the Hunt is a powerful choice at this level. A Wardancer with Blades of Loec, or Annoyance of Netlings is another nice option. If you are set on the waywatcher, give him some kind of ward save.

Spellsinger
Level 2
125 points
Level 2 won't do much for you. If you keep him, make him a 1st level, with 2 dispel scrolls. I would probably swap him for a branchwraith upgraded to level 1 with a cluster of radiants.

Core units
12 Glade Guard Full command
168 points
Never use standard bearers on your glade guard. You won't win combat with it and the +1 doesn't generally help, so you just end up giving your opponent victory points. The champ isn't great unless you have the points and you can't put them any place else. And 10 is a good size. Only go up if you don't have anyplace else to put the points.

10 Dryads
120 points
Slightly too big. 8 is generally the best number.

10 Dyrads
120 points
See above.

Special Units
10 Wardancers Full command
237 points
7 or 8 is generally the best number for these guys.

Rare units
6 Waywatchers
120 points
Fine

My main strategy is to induce as much damage to my opponent with shooting until either I come close to them or they come close to me for my Wardancers assisted with Dryads to pick off my enemy units one at a time. With a Spellsinger doing assisting Magic, for that I picked Treesinging and The Hidden Path. While at the same time my Waywatchers with Noble will harass the enemy with my Glade guard.. So this is my List I hope it's any good and any advice will be appreciated. =)
One thing I don't understand, you said you picked your spells, but spells are rolled randomly at the start of the game. You are only allowed to switch one for the first in the list, treesinging in this case.

I think if you cut some things down to size, you might be able to throw in another unit. For wood elves lots of small units work better than fewer big units I find.

Good luck, and hope this helps,
SirKently

#4 ·
New list ^^

Spellsinger Lv1
2 Dispell Scroll 140

Wood elf Noble
Waywatcher Kindred 110

Glade Guard 10
Musician 126

Glade Guard 10
Musician 126

Dryads 8 96

Dryads 8 96

Wardancers 8
Full Command 165

Waywatchers 6 120

Total points 979

That leaves me 21 points left.. Any good item for 21 points or something?

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hmm.. I see and the Hit is automatically the hit of my Waywatcher noble?
So this list might better then maybe..

Spellsinger Lv1
2 Dispell Scroll 140

Wood elf Noble
Waywatcher Kindred
Hail of Doom Arrows 140

Glade Guard 10
No upgrade

Glade Guard 10
No upgrade

Dryads 8
No uprgrade

Dryads 8
No upgrade

Wardancers 8
Full Command 165

Waywatchers 6
No upgrade

Total points 997

#15 ·
Yeah, they will flee rather easily if you go one on one. The trick is to get your units positioned so that you have at least 2 and hopefully 3 units attacking together against an opponents unit. Works even better if at least two of your units cause fear, say dryads and wild riders. With wood elves you don't want a combat that lasts, you really need to break your opponents unit on the charge or usually you will be in trouble.

SirKently

#17 ·
The waywatcher noble is very expensive for what he will do, he will do hail of doom and then not much else for rest of gmae. also having your general scout in a a small unit of waywatchers can be dangerous. An alter noble with great weapon, light armour, sheild, hail of doom arrow and helm of the hunt comes in at 158 points only 18 more then your waywatcher hero. Drop a waywatcher (these guys are great but quite expensive and bigger units mean harder to setup) and take alter hero. This hero will be able to do hail of doom arrowand then will also give 5 strength 6 attacks at WS 7 on the charge.

P.S in your list you have 8 dryads with no upgrade and they are listed as -- many points. This is'nt allowed on the forums only include points of a unit if they have upgrades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.