Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd let you SW players know how my first 1000 point game went. I put this here because I don't plan on a full battle report.

My list was as follows:

Rune Priest w. bolt pistol, frost axe, runic armor, wolf tail and wolf tooth necklace, belt of Russ
9 Blood Claws, 2 PF, Rhino w. smoke
10 Grey Hunters w. power fist, meltagun
Venerable Dread w. AC, Heavy Flamer, DCCW, Drop Pod
4 Scouts, 2 PP, 1 meltagun
Land Speeder w. Multi-melta
Land Speeder w. AC, HB (Tornado)

I played Chaos, as follows:
Lord w. Demon Weapon, Wings
8 Thousand Sons (Aspiring Sorcerer)
8 Khorne Berserkers, Rhino w. smoke
6 Havocs (3 bolters, 3 missile launchers
Defiler

This was kind of a test game, and I proxied most of the army. Basically, I set up everything on the right in cover, while he set up everything in the center right. I got first turn and moved my rhino behind some woods, popping smoke in case the Lord could reach it (he couldn't, as it turned out). The Multimelta LS moved up ahead of the rhino and destroyed the Khorne rhino. Two Berserkers died in the explosion. The GH moved up behind the same forest. Because I wanted to see what the Tornado could do, I moved it out of cover in the center and unloaded on the Havocs. Nothing happened (rolled four ones on my wound rolls). In his turn, the Lord moved out and the Berserkers moved up (they began disembarked so weren't pinned when the Rhino exploded). He missed the Tornado with all of his Havocs, but got one glance with his TS and wrecked it (I deserved that). The Defiler killed the other LS with its autocannon. His TS moved forward.
On my turn, the VD dropped in and scattered next to his Khorne Berserkers. The scouts failed to show. The Rhino moved around the trees and the RP and Blood Claws disembarked beside it, hidden from view. The GH moved into the forest. The VD, in an epic waste of points, did nothing with its AC and Heavy Flamer. It wasn't even close. He then assaulted my BC unit with the Chaos Lord, forgetting about Counter Attack, which put the RP and two powerfists on him. No wounds on either side, remarkably. The TS and Havocs took out a couple of GH. The Berserkers killed the Dread with a powerfist. On my turn, the scouts arrived, put three penetrating hits on the Defiler, and took off two of its weapons. The BC and RP took out the Lord, with the RP suffering a wound. Two more GH died, and the Scouts ended up tied up with the Defiler (I didn't realize it could tie them up). At this point, I realized that we were playing recon and decided to play for objectives. The GH moved towards a building to escaped those TS bolters. The BC and RP kept advancing behind the Rhino and took out the remaining Khorne Berserkers, then the Havocs, leaving them with only the RP and a powerfist BC. The Scouts hung on against the Defiler for long enough, and then the Grey Hunters finished it off, but were taken below scoring. The Defiler took something like 8 penetrating hits before it died. I was left with only the RP scoring, while he had a full unit of TS who were too slow to either move into my deployment zone or get more than two shots off on the RP. I won with five models left on the board.

Here's what I learned.
1. Even though I never did use Storm Caller (should have used it twice), the RP was great in the unit of BC.
2. The two powerfists put the BC over the top. I had three in the game to his one (of course mine cost half as much in my older codex), which allowed them to instakill the Lord and take on the Berserkers and finish off the Havocs (I was shocked to find that guys with missile launchers could still get two attacks back).
3. Don't drop the Dread near a powerfist. Ever (actually, I was aiming for the TS, but scattered, so I guess that wasn't really an error in judgement). Even with reasonable damage on Khorne the PF in the unit would have survived and killed him.
4. Land Speeders are incredibly fragile. As much as I like the idea of the Tornado, I'd probably take a cheaper Multi-Melta LS instead.
5. The Scouts were great, even while they failed to blow up the Defiler. The couldn't hurt the thing in hand to hand, but survived long enough to turn the game. I even forgot that SW automatically regroup, so the meltagun that was running away could have stopped and popped it from behind when it went for the GH.
6. Overall, I wasted a LS and the VD, and still managed to scrape together a win against Chaos. He's still figuring out how to play his new codex and probably would have wiped the table with me had he been able to blow up the Rhino that spent the whole game between his TS and my BC. His Havocs sucked all game and probably cost him the win. Now that I think of it, he did blow up the drop pod, but it took him two turns, and then only wrecked it, compounding his LOS problems.
In the end, I didn't actually play very well, but it was awfully cool to play an army so different from my Necrons.

Weaf

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
You had spent an enormous amount of points to the Rune Priest. Yes he is powerful but if he was killed, then what?

Remember always to equip Scouts with Tank busting grenades and/or weapons!

Apart from that congratulations on your win. 8Y

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You had spent an enormous amount of points to the Rune Priest. Yes he is powerful but if he was killed, then what?

Remember always to equip Scouts with Tank busting grenades and/or weapons!

Apart from that congratulations on your win. 8Y
I've considered leaving the runic armor out. Problem is, I often play against Witch Hunters with lots of flamers, in which case the 2+ save is important. In a smaller game, he IS expensive. And if I'm not using Storm Caller I ought to bring a Wolf Lord instead. The only other item worth a lot of points is the belt, but I need the inv. save in close combat. I'll leave him as is for now and see what I can do without over the next couple of games.

As for the Scouts, the four model shooting unit leaves them at 86 points, which I like. If they kill one tank, they more than make their points back. With three penetrating hits, the Defiler should have died and it cost almost twice as much as the scouts. As it was, they effectively eliminated it from the game just by surviving. In this case, only melta-bombs or a powerfist would have helped, but that pushes the cost up. Generally, I think that they should go as is or be significantly kitted out for assault, at the cost of one of the Land Speeders.

·
Wolf Lord
426 Posts
As for the Scouts, the four model shooting unit leaves them at 86 points, which I like. If they kill one tank, they more than make their points back. With three penetrating hits, the Defiler should have died and it cost almost twice as much as the scouts. As it was, they effectively eliminated it from the game just by surviving. In this case, only melta-bombs or a powerfist would have helped, but that pushes the cost up. Generally, I think that they should go as is or be significantly kitted out for assault, at the cost of one of the Land Speeders.
I can not agree more.

I had the exact same problem with a defliler the last time I went up against one. The scouts came in and immediately landed penetrating hit after penetrating hit that did not destroy the abominable thing. It is very frustrating to land a penetrating hit that stuns only to have the defiler ignore it.

Storm Caller can be a pain to remember; I can't count the number of times that I have sorely forgotten to use it. Now I make it a point to begin every shooting phase with it's use. I more or less consider it a phase unto itself. Move. Storm Caller. Shoot. Assault.

Thanks for the write up, it sounds like the match was a lot of fun. Congratulations on the win.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't forget Blood Feud against those Thousand Sons. ;)
Thanks. I did, uh, Space that one. I never got into CC with them in that game, so it didn't come up. That raises an interesting problem, though. If I assaulted them with BC, the 3+ would be to my advantage, but the inv save of the TS makes even power fists a bit dicey, as does the force weapon on my rune priest. I guess it's still best to assault them rather than getting picked apart by those armor denying bolters.

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
Thanks. I did, uh, Space that one. I never got into CC with them in that game, so it didn't come up. That raises an interesting problem, though. If I assaulted them with BC, the 3+ would be to my advantage, but the inv save of the TS makes even power fists a bit dicey, as does the force weapon on my rune priest. I guess it's still best to assault them rather than getting picked apart by those armor denying bolters.
It certainly is. Blood Claws get a lot of attacks on the turn they charge so you should be able to make one hell of a dent in just about anything you hit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.