Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I usually play 40K or lotr but i recently decided to start playin fantasy
I decided to play orcs and gobbos cos a friend gave the the army book (lol)
I'm obsessed with the mages :w00t: so this is a quick list of what I plan on gettin
(im not sure whether im better off taking the orc or 2x gobbo heroes. I think the orc fits better)

Night gobbo great shaman
double doin doodas
Knobbly Staff ---- lets u re roll all dice to cast a spell

Night Gobbo Shaman
Madcap mushrooms ------ night gobbos do 2d6 str 5 hits in first go

Gobbo shaman
Sneaky staff of stealin ----- once per battle u turn 1 dp on ur opponents side to a power dice for u
Glowy green amulet ---- 2+ to dispel a spell if a 1 bearer dies

Orc Big Boss
Boar
Light Armour
Shield
Bashas big axe of bashin ------ +2 atks

Core
20 Savage orc/orc big 'uns
Shields

20 Night gobbos
Bows
3x fanatics

20 Night gobbos
Spears
Shields
3x Fanatics

16 x arrer boys

16 x arrer boys

16x orc boyz
extra CCW

10x wolf riders ----- (or 2 units of 5?)
Spears
Shields

Special
Rock lobber

2x orc chariots

2x spear chuckas

Rare
Doom diver

Giant/Pump Wagon ----- (depends on army type fast army wants pump wagon, slow for the giant)

As this is such a magic heavy army, 10pd+units in combat, i rely on mage power a lot
I play with IW alot so my usual tactics are quite defensive but if Im lucky i can get off enough Waaaaaagh spells to make my supposedly slow army pretty fast.
I'll probably mostly be playing a blood knight vamp counts army with just a lvl 3 mage (dont ask me why) so im not to worried about magic and missiles. Ill also be playing my mates gnoblar army so the same applies. (he thankfully doesnt own any leadbelchers!)

None of this is certain so id like any suggestions u can through at me!

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's mostly a damned good list, with a few exceptions.

The big boss is better off on foot, so he can join a unit and not get singled out for shooting. Also, you could replace the axe with a battle standard with nogg's banner of butchery. VERY nasty when used at the right time.

The night gobbos with bows are probably better off with spears and shields, as gobbos shooting is crap. Same with the arrer boyz. You're better off replacing those units with 2 units of orc boyz with 2ccw, or combine the lot into 2 bigger units. Orc war machines are MUCH better at killing. Also, full command for the boyz, and musician at least for the gobbos. You'll need it for the rally (night gobbos WILL run at some point).

If you take the pump wagon instead of the giant, you'll have a lot of left over points. A good investment then would be wolf riders. They are amongst the best fast cav around, mainly due to their cheapness. And you really can't go wrong with them.

Apart from that, you're main weakness is ****ty general leadership (a night gobbo great shaman has a ld of 6, lower then the boyz!). Try changing the great shaman to a common gobbo, or even an orc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ty
I like the arrer boys cos I use them more as a combat unit (unexperienced players will often target them rather than my boyz, just to face up against too many str 4 hits plus a S&S reaction, this leaves my few combat units with the initiative to counterattack. (For flank charges etc
I have played quite a few skirmish games at school with them!
I had thought about making the orc a standard bearer but i wasnt really sure whether it was worth it
Almost all of my characters ride horse/mounts because i like the extra protection. Against undead shooting isnt really a big issue.
My gobbos with bows r there just because i like the models
I also plan on using them in a few games of skirmish
(3 points per bow isnt bad, even if they r gobbos!)

Ive revised the list a bit-this is one is a bit more defensive than the first :w00t:
(yes an orc army can be defensive-sort of)

Night gobbo great shaman
double doin doodas

Night Gobbo Shaman

Gobbo shaman
Sneaky staff of stealin ----- once per battle u turn 1 dp on ur opponents side to a power dice for u

Orc Big Boss
Boar
Light Armour
Shield

Core
20 Orc big 'uns
Shields

10 Night gobbos
Bows
3x fanatics
Full command

30 Night gobbos
Spears
Shields
3x Fanatics
Full command

32 x arrer boys
Full command?

16x orc boyz
extra CCW

Spears
Shields

Special
2xRock lobber

Orc chariot/2 wolf chariots?

2x spear chuckas

Rare
Doom diver

Giant/Pump Wagon ----- (depends on army type fast army wants pump wagon, slow for the giant)

Ive kitted the gobbos out with full command to give them as lightly better chance at winning combats (lol) As skeletons and zombies are also pretty hopeless in combat
My army general is the model with the most ld so my ld 8 orc is actually the general. (I hope!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Few legal eagle points:

Me finks that you need at least 20 gobbo's to make a unit.
You need another unit of 20 boyz to make have a similar one of Big Uns

On the list the fun/anoying bit is going to be the number of animostity checks due to the high number of units. It might be worth investing in a Black Orc unit/Boss to keep'em in line or at least a section of you front line :)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Gobbos do indeed have a minimum unit size of 20, c'mon they are only little :)

As he already has a unit of 16 boyz elsewhere in the army he only has to make that up to 21. I am pretty sure the big uns rule says there must be more of the same type of orcs making up other units before you can have biguns.

·
Registered
171 Posts
He can simply poach boyz from the arrer boyz.

As for the giant vs pump wagon, I've found that the giant tends to die horribly from missile fire. If you know you're up against the likes of Ogres or Chaos, then giant away. Otherwise, the pump wagon will leave you with points for other goodies, unless you want the giant for a missile magnet (works well at this).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oops! :O I forgot u have to have atleast 20 per unit
Ive tried working out the points for it and with a giant it came to about 2.5k
I could get a 2k pts list with the pumpwagon, only 20 arrer boys and getting rid of the 10 gobbos with bows

Heres another revised list

Ive removed the single chariot because it isnt much use on its own without support. Im considering removing the spearchuckas and turing the big'uns into orcs so i can afford some black orcs.

Night gobbo great shaman
double doin doodas

Night Gobbo Shaman

Gobbo shaman

Orc Big Boss
Boar
Light Armour
Shield

Core
20 Orc boys
Shields

20 Night gobbos
Spears
Shields
3x fanatics
Full command

20 Night gobbos
Spears
Shields
3x Fanatics
Full command

20 x arrer boys
Full command?

20x orc boyz
extra CCW

Spears
Shields

Special
2xRock lobber

20 Black orcs
Great Weapons (I hope that the spell Waaaagh will make sure they get the charge)

2x spear chuckas (Are these worth taking against undead? They only kill 2-3 infantry a turn but they could really hurt grave guard black knights)

Rare
Doom diver

<The giant for games of 2500+>

Maybe i should replace the spear chuckas with some squig hoppers
Say with 5 gobbos, 15 sqigs and 5 squig hoppers. They would break really easily causing havocs and blocking march moves. Just the thing for giving a few extra turns of shooting. :yes:

Can i buy madcap mushrooms more than once
(it makes sense that mushrooms, however rare, would be easier to aquire than magic weapons)

·
Registered
486 Posts
i thought any enemy model blocks marches they dont need to have a certain amount of them.

if they are directly in the way they could push the enemy forwards though, if they charge and kill in one turn then could they not overrun.

also another note
on your lord you have 2 arcane items which i dont think you can have.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I am pretty sure you have to have unit strength 5 to march block. Yes if squigs are in front of a unit they are a pain, but if the unit charges it the squig just blows up and they can over run into something else. Granted enough loose squigs would be a pin in the bum.

·
Registered
486 Posts
ill have to look into that, where have u seen that rule?
in the rulebook it just says:

troops can march if there are no enemy models within 8" of them at the start of the turn. If there are enemy models (fleeing enemies do not count) anywhere within 8" at the start of the turn, the unit is too busy...

unless its been updated or says anywhere else, it doesnt matter of it unit strength

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I think it may have been FAQ'd if it isn't in the rule book. It makes sense that a full unit would not be too worried by a single figure floating around them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts