Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok to start a friend has talked me into devoting huge sums of cash and time to play Warhammer.

After much debate and reading I decided on Ogres as my first army. One reason was because it would take few models to assemble and paint to get a full army. Secoond reason is because they just look awesome. Third reason is because I heard that no one in this city plays Ogres (at least not at the local game shop).

Any ways after much reading on this site (and many others) I finally came up with a army to use in the local tourneys that are usually 2250 points.

General:
Tyrant w/ Tenderiser, Wyrdstone Necklace, Longstrider, Heavy Armor, Luck Gnobler.

Heroes:
Butcher w/ Bangstick, Dispell Scroll
Butcher w/ Dispell Scroll
Hunter w/ (2) Sabre Tusk, Longstrider

Core units:
Bulls (3) w/ Bellower, Ironfist, Light armor.
Ironguts (3) w/ Bellower, Great Weapon, Heavy Armor.
Ironguts (3) w/ Bellower, Standard Bearer, Great Weapon, Heavy Armor.
Gnoblar Trappers (7) w/ Snarefinger.
Gnoblar Fighters (21) w/ Groinbiter.

Special Units:
Leadbelchers (2)
Leadbelchers (2)

Rare Units:
Maneater w/ Brace of Handguns, Heavy Armor.

Total cost of the army is 2249 points according to Army Builder program.

That is pretty much it. I have several pieces I need to purchase still.

I have only seen warhammer played by a few people and have never really played a match at all myself.

Any help you veterans can give on tactics would be of great help. A week from tomorrow I will be going down to the local game shop to watch my first tourney. I will be able to post some info about what races I will most likely be playing against in the future. Perhaps this info will allow you to give better advice on what I should use in my army.

Thanks in advance for the info and I look forward to your replys and advice.

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
Ok to start a friend has talked me into devoting huge sums of cash and time to play Warhammer.

After much debate and reading I decided on Ogres as my first army. One reason was because it would take few models to assemble and paint to get a full army. Secoond reason is because they just look awesome. Third reason is because I heard that no one in this city plays Ogres (at least not at the local game shop).
Welcome to fantasy and ogres; they're a fun army to play and a nice sight on the table 8Y. They're also stronger then most players suspect when played right, and are one of the cheapest armies available money-wise.

Any ways after much reading on this site (and many others) I finally came up with a army to use in the local tourneys that are usually 2250 points.

General:
Tyrant w/ Tenderiser, Wyrdstone Necklace, Longstrider, Heavy Armor, Luck Gnobler.

great setup.

Heroes:
good

Butcher w/ Dispell Scroll
good, but try adding another dispel scroll to him

Hunter w/ (2) Sabre Tusk, Longstrider
IMO, you're better off getting another butcher. Those 2 extra P(ower) D(ice), and extra D(ispel) D(ice) and the extra spells he can cast if the first 2 butchers fail to cast them are really worth it. If you can, also give him a skullmantle and a siegebreaker, which is a lethal combination - "What do you mean your wizard has S7" :drinking:)

Core units:
I would drop the ironfists and light armor; they will be a support unit anyways, so keep them as cheap as possible. Also, a 6+ save vs shooting isn't all that good :p

I would drop all the command on these. Ironguts rarely tie combat for musicians to be effective (or flee and have to rally for that matter). The standards are not too good an option as well IMO. If your ironguts break from battle (which can always happen), you'll be giving away 100V(ictory)P(oints) to your opponent. Ogres don't win through static C(ombat)R(esolution), but through kills.

Gnoblar Trappers (7) w/ Snarefinger.
The minimum size is 8. ;) I would make it a unit of 9 without a champion

If you really like them, you can keep them, but drop the champions. For me though, they're not that useful.

Special Units:
Leadbelchers (2)
Leadbelchers (2)
I would add bellowers to these; they're great for shooting at an enemy, fleeing from their charge, and the +1 to rally afterwards (and reloading their cannons at the same time) comes in really handy.

Rare Units:
Maneater w/ Brace of Handguns, Heavy Armor.
A single maneater won't accomplish much. I know, you probably like the models (as do I :rofl), but you can use the model as a butcher (maybe with the bangstick) and tell your opponent beforehand - I do the same thing. You're better off exchanging him for 2 gorgers which are our most useful unit against warmachines and gunlines, and using 2 makes it almost sure one will appear on turn 2.

Total cost of the army is 2249 points according to Army Builder program.
I assume you've got the army book as well? :D
For a first list, it's already really good - it seems you read up on unit sizes and magical equipment. But it has some beginner ogre players mistakes like using ironfists (everybody makes those at first ;)) There's also no need to put standard equipment in your lists (like heavy armor and great weapons for ironguts), making it faster to read:happy:

Here's the list with the minor adjustments I suggested. With all the points saved on upgrades, and dropping the gnoblars, you can even include an extra unit of ironguts, which are actually our only real killing unit.

General:

Heroes:
Butcher w/ Dispell Scroll, Dispel scroll
Butcher w/ Skullmantle, Siegebreaker

Core units:
Bulls (3) w/ Bellower
Bulls (3) w/ Bellower
Ironguts (3) w/ Bellower (because I had some spare points left)
Ironguts (3)
Ironguts (3)
Ironguts (3)
Ironguts (3)
Gnoblar Trappers (9)

Special Units:
Leadbelchers (2) w/ Bellower
Leadbelchers (2) w/ Bellower

Rare Units:
gorger
gorger

that brings it at exactly 2250 pts

That is pretty much it. I have several pieces I need to purchase still.

I have only seen warhammer played by a few people and have never really played a match at all myself.

Any help you veterans can give on tactics would be of great help. A week from tomorrow I will be going down to the local game shop to watch my first tourney. I will be able to post some info about what races I will most likely be playing against in the future. Perhaps this info will allow you to give better advice on what I should use in my army.

Thanks in advance for the info and I look forward to your replys and advice.
No problem, it's always nice to have new players - especially if they're ogre players :party:.
The most useful tactics with ogres are baiting and fleeing. You bait the opponent with your bulls and leadbelchers, flee the charge with them, and afterwards charge him with your ironguts.
If there is a big ranked unit with good static CR, always try to get a unit of ironguts in the front, and a unit of bulls/leadbelchers in the flank to deny his ranks.
Challenge champions with your tyrant; this is really deadly and will mostly give you +6CR - 5 for overkill and 1 for his original wound, which can help swing combat greatly in your advantage. If he doesn't accept your challenge, just slaughter some rank and file ;).
If you still plan on using gnoblar fighters, don't screen with them; they'll slow your army down a lot. Their best use is holding a table quarter, which give you much more VP then their points worth.
Don't be afraid to charge your tyrant into a small unit of cavalry on his own with longstrider. Sometimes, opponents will put their heavy cavalry just outside of the ogres' 12" charge range, which is when you can get them with your almighty tyrant.
Don't count on getting a bull charge off. Most opponents will just move forward to negate it. The bull charge is a great bonus, but not something you want to base your tactics on.

Hope this helped.;Y

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok Modified army a little any new thoughts?

General:

Heroes:
Butcher w/ Dispell Scroll x 2
Butcher w/ Siegebreaker, Skullmantle.

Core units:
Bulls (3) w/ Bellower.
Bulls (3) w/ Bellower.
Ironguts (3) w/ Great Weapon, Heavy Armor.
Gnoblar Trappers (9)

Special Units:
Leadbelchers (2) w/ bellower
Leadbelchers (2) w/ bellower

Rare units:
Gorger
Gorger

This adds up to 2096 points. What would be the best place to put the extra points to get it to 2250? More Leadbelchers? Scraplauncher? another Gorger? More core units?

Thanks again for the advice.

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
I would add in another unit of ironguts - I added an extra one (the one with the bellower) in the list - you may have overlooked it. That would probably be the most competitive choice.

Another option would be to drop the heavy armor on the tyrant (most things that can hurt him will punch right through the armor save anyway), and add in another unit of 2 leadbelchers with bellower, and a unit of 20 gnoblar fighters (to grab a table quarter - i.e. leave them in your deployment zone) if you want some more shooting and really want some tiny (and admittedly, very funny) greenskins on the table :). That will also bring the total to exactly 2250 points.
Another gorger isn't a possibility since you've only got 2 rare slots at this points level ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts