Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who actually uses this tactic in their regular armies? Sounds a little tricky to pull off, but such an awsome trick none the less.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i use it at least two or three times a game, its tough you really gotta cram all your firewarriors as close as possible in the back, so when the enemy moves in the next turn he can't reach you for an assault, I've tried it with the fish sideways but it doesn't work, since instead of assaulting the Fire Warriors they assault the rear of the fish and do some damage to that so i can't get away, in which case i become stranded and it sucks....

·
Registered
664 Posts
fish of fury is good but u can't rely on it,doesn't do enough damage to be your main attack.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I usually use the FoF when their is a small group of soilders that where of high priority for me to take out but were no longer at 100%. It lets me get an assault sqaud in close to finish them off.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mozambique said:
i use it at least two or three times a game, its tough you really gotta cram all your firewarriors as close as possible in the back, so when the enemy moves in the next turn he can't reach you for an assault, I've tried it with the fish sideways but it doesn't work, since instead of assaulting the Fire Warriors they assault the rear of the fish and do some damage to that so i can't get away, in which case i become stranded and it sucks....
Theres a varient on FoF that uses two transports and two squads of firewarriors. You park them both sideways back to back so niether exposes their rear armor and you have a much wider barrier. You can still detach the drones as well if your really unsure of your distance estimation skills. Since your required to take two infantry slots anyway, why not?

As for this being unreliable, I dunno what your talking about. It's a fantastic tactic in my opinion. On average your killing 7 marines or 25 guardsmen...that unit has a very good chance of breaking, even if it stays they cant assault and has to take a leadership test not to fire at the devilfishes. This has the additional benefits of balancing a mech heavy army and putting your warriors in scoring position. Most people dont expect tau units charging into assault range do they? ^_^ Gives your oponnent something else to worry about besides your HH's and battlesuits.

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
Yup, I use FoFs quite abit, and it's always worked well for me, and actually, I've never had someone try and charge me, only shoot. I think it's becuase even tho Fire Warriors aren't good at CC, 24 Fire Warriors can simple swamp a weakened squad!

It even worked for me then I DFoF (Double Fish of Fury) a Necron unit, think I killed like 7 or something, then only 1-2 got back up!

Mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
wow your lucky. I hate that get back up rule. I think thats my least favorite rule in 40k

·
Registered
364 Posts
Fof

how effetive is this against space marines so I know how to take care of this in any of my games where I live

·
Registered
364 Posts
luck good or bad

Yea I know what you mean it is how luky you are with rolling those dice

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yea you do have a point there. Necrons seem to be hard to beat when the person using them knows alittle about the army.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Nice job in the tourney. that is won of the best thing about this game you never know what will hapen with the dice

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Statistically, taking two units of firewarriors and rapidfireing will take any normal infantry unit below half strength. Three would outright wipe them out. The return fire from a full strength unit of marines (10 marines -7 casaulties = 3) would be 6 shots, 4 wounds, 2 casualties, IF they pass their moral check AND target priority check. You only have to worry about a few heavy weapons that can change those odds, especially flamethrowers, but most other heavy weapons make taking out that unit all the more satisfying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts