Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings :)

I run a fantasy store in Denmark, Holbæk (www.kelz0r.dk) and we just expanded to offering Warhammer (amongst other) games each week.

I have employees to handle the actual rulings but "obviously" I can't go around holding events without knowing how to play :eek:) - and without much hard thought my choice fell on Greenskins which by far is my favorite race in the Warhammer universe.

Editor's Note: I love love love Squigs, squiggly squigs <3

In short the army is to be my store army -this means it has to be flashy, with cool special models, and with a named Bad-ass Lord to lead this fearsome army.

Preferably it should consist of as few as possible models - for simplicity for new players and for less space requirement.

Having said that I will be using it myself as well and since I'm a sore loser I would prefer to optimize wherever possible.

Without further ado here is the list I have made so far - please explain in details what you are suggesting - I am entirely new to the game :)

Overall idea with the army:

Have a few very hard hitting units and alot of annoying magnets.

Grimgore's unit are the toughest obviously - if the enemy focus on that they will be facing Goblin archerts, casters, Doom Divers and possibly Giants though - if they focus on those threats Fanatics will pop up and Grimgore will tear whatever he can reach - makes sense?

Lord: Grimgor Ironhide (Obvious "Power" choice - Excellently insane and I have a converted model that looks very neat in his spot).
Cost: 375
Alternative: Orc / Black Orc Warboss with custom gear
Question: Everyone seems to pick the custom made Warboss here - Yet Grimgore is insane in close combat and buffs the Black Orcs a lot

Hero 1: Night Goblin Big Boss on Squig with items: Ulag's Akrit Axe, Enchanted Shield, Light Armor
Cost: 122
Reason: This model has to be in the army - I have a custom made huuuge Squig which is used to represent this lad.
We spoke about optimal use and agreed on a joint charge unit combined with something like a wolf rider unit for fast and effecting flanking

Hero 2: Night Goblin Shaman level 1 - Placed in Night Goblin Regiment - Items: 2x Dispel Scrolls
Hero 3: Night Goblin Shaman level 1 - Placed in Night Goblin Regiment - Items: 2x Dispel Scrolls
Reason: Magic seems tough to pull off without a dedicated army - I want this army to be allround effective and fun for non magic players too - Having 2x Shammies with 4 scrolls total bolsters my defense quite nicely against the meta.
Total Cost: 200

Rare 1: Doom Diver
Rare 2: Doom Diver
Question: Jury is still out on these - I might wanna put in some other units for diversity and the Doom Divers are pretty horrible at hitting - but it hurts when it does - please share ideas.
Rare unit question: I've skipped Trolls / Pump Wagon & Giants - I've only playtested a giant - which seemed like a very random model with alot of weaknesses and no real strengths - please advice on Giants and on the Trolls.
I have considered the Giant however as a shooting magnet to move focus from my insanely expensive Black Orc regiment.
Total Cost: 160

Special 1: 20x Black Orcs (including 1x Black Orc Boss)
Upgrade: Shields
Upgrade: Standard
Upgrade: Black Orc Boss
Upgrade: Gork's Waaagh! Banner
Upgrade. Musician
Reason: I want my Black Orc Regiment to be really, really tough - with Grimgore in charge and Waaagh power available to make quick rushes they are to be my unfearable death squad - I realize I might putting too many eggs into one basket so please advice.
Cost: 318

Special 2: 7x Squig Hoppers
Reason: These are a must have unit as well - I have the models ready and love squigs - they can be unpredictable but hit quite hard and are fun to use.
Cost: 105

Special 3: 4x Squig Herds (8x Herders 12x Squigs)
Reason: These are a must have unit as well - I have the models ready and love squigs - they can be unpredictable but hit quite hard and are fun to use.
Cost: 120

Special 4: Unsure!
Ideas: Orc / Savage Orc Boar Boys (Fast and strong)
Orc / Wolf Chariot (I have never tried playing with a Chariot - is it worth it?)
Spear Chukka's - I tried 2x of them (counts for 1 rare) and was not really impressed.
More Squigs!!
Cost: ???

Core 1: 20x Night Goblins with Shortbows + 2x Fanatics
Reason: I haven't really had success with Fanatics yet - they seem like a must and are a very fun addition to the O&G army though - I'm still learning so I'll give them a few more chances - the goblin shaman (1) will be placed in this unit.
Cost: 110

Core 2: 20x Night Goblins with Shortbows+ 2x Fanatics
Reason: I haven't really had success with Fanatics yet - they seem like a must and are a very fun addition to the O&G army though - I'm still learning so I'll give them a few more chances - the goblin shaman (1) will be placed in this unit.
Cost: 110

Core 3: 10x Goblin Wolf Riders with Spears upgrade
Reason: Hard hitting flanking unit to help Grimgor's
Cost: 130

Leftover points: 140
Ideas: Move around points to create spot for a Giant?
More Wolves / Squigs
Testing some of the other units like Spider Riders, Snotlings. normal Orcs

That's about it! Please advice :) (In total newbie understandable ways).

PS: Please advice on items too! I just picked the ones that looked neatest!

Michael Keller, Denmark

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
Hi there welcome to LO.. funny thing, your 'post count' is still on 0, but im pretty sure you posted this how weird is that?

I like your list alot. it has alot of stuff that looks good on the table and very orc ishy.

I have some thoughts on your list here goes:
Rare: 2 doomdivers is i think the strongest option, But also a bit boring. Any new player would have to use 2 guessing devices, while 1 is enough to show what it is about.
Trolls would look very good and can help grimgor alot if they stay near him.
A giant would make a great decoy, but i think his 'special attacks' might slow the game down alot for new gamers.

- if you get spider riders instead of the wolf riders, you could use the ones from the starterbox. Alsoi suggest less than 10. Maybe 5 or 6, more than that doesnt make them any better.

-Boar boys: i think they can help the black orcs out, theyre tuff. I also think a boarchariot can do that, its a tiny bit more reliable, because a chariot doesnt roll animosity. I'd say go for a chariot and add a unit orc boyz for core.

and make the goblin units a bit bigger! (so they will not run away when fanatics run through them)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there welcome to LO.. funny thing, your 'post count' is still on 0, but im pretty sure you posted this how weird is that?

I like your list alot. it has alot of stuff that looks good on the table and very orc ishy.

I have some thoughts on your list here goes:
Rare: 2 doomdivers is i think the strongest option, But also a bit boring. Any new player would have to use 2 guessing devices, while 1 is enough to show what it is about.
Trolls would look very good and can help grimgor alot if they stay near him.
A giant would make a great decoy, but i think his 'special attacks' might slow the game down alot for new gamers.

- if you get spider riders instead of the wolf riders, you could use the ones from the starterbox. Alsoi suggest less than 10. Maybe 5 or 6, more than that doesnt make them any better.

-Boar boys: i think they can help the black orcs out, theyre tuff. I also think a boarchariot can do that, its a tiny bit more reliable, because a chariot doesnt roll animosity. I'd say go for a chariot and add a unit orc boyz for core.

and make the goblin units a bit bigger! (so they will not run away when fanatics run through them)
Thank you for the excellent answer :)

I agree on your point regarding the Doom Divers - I need another fun Rare unit.

I think I'll go for a few more games with my Giant - my painter is putting it together and I want tro try it out - if it fails I have some trolls standing by - your point about them helping Grimgor is very nice though.

How about 2 units of 5-6 Wolf RIders?

And finally what should I replace with the Boar riders?

Final finally: Core Orc Boys aren't really worth anything are they?

·
Registered
14 Posts
core orc boys are deffinatley worth it!
If for no other reason than they look great charging across the table, and the +1 strength in the first round of combat doesnt hurt either :p
and you need to get some chariots in there, they just capture the imagination of beginers

·
Registered
67 Posts
\
and you need to get some chariots in there, they just capture the imagination of beginers

I have to agree here. I play HE (I'm stating an O&G army this weekend) and my absolute favorite model is my Tiranoc Chariot. I've had it since the start and it stay in my army solely for its awesomeness, even if it doesn't always win its points back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts