Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Black Templars. Something about charging forward on the ground with 85 badass men shouting praises to the Emperor is just awesome.

I love my Imperial Guard. Something about regular men holding their own against raging gibbering beasts and blowing them all to hell and back with large guns is just awesome.

Frankly, however, I get bored of only having one option. When I play my Guard, I shoot. When I play my Templars, I get into CC. Neither army can do both with any appreciable degree of efficiency. So, after my brother called me and said he overheard my parents talk about giving me a gift cert to TheWarStore for my b-day (the big 2-0...yikes, has it really been 2 decades!) I started thinking about another army that would be a completely different playstyle and competent in all spheres of the game.

It came down to Eldar or Space Marine Bikers. Eventually, I decided that I just plain couldn't play an army as...fey... as the eldar, and a Bike army idea was born. I am tossing around ideas for a White Scars successor, but that isn't so important at the moment.

So, after that long intro, I have a few questions:
1) If I take an army with the theme that everything in that army has the ability to move "flat out" can it be competitive?
2) If I was going to build this army, what should I buy and put into a strong list? Lots of bikes, yeah, but what else? I looked up Red Archer's lists but only found one and it was from several months ago.
3) Am I correct in my assumption that bike armies can shoot and get into cc and are extremely flexible due to their relentless rule and ability to move 24"? The whole concept rather hinges on the army itself being very different from either footslogging BT and/or shooty Imperial Guard.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
1) If I take an army with the theme that everything in that army has the ability to move "flat out" can it be competitive?
Yes. Great for getting where ya need to be, such as objectives. (Or away from enemies when necessary.)

2) If I was going to build this army, what should I buy and put into a strong list? Lots of bikes, yeah, but what else? I looked up Red Archer's lists but only found one and it was from several months ago.
At minimum you need a Biker captain and two bike squads. I suggest taking MM attack bikes, and either flamers or meltas. Powerfists on the bike sarges ain't a bad idea, especially at higher points. Bike captain works great with artificer armor and relic blade. (Or just take Khan if you want to use a CC bike command squad.)

Speeders work really well in bike armies. Due to this, the Ravenwing box set might be a great investment for you.
Preds can work, rifleman dreads, anything that can move and shoot.

3) Am I correct in my assumption that bike armies can shoot and get into cc and are extremely flexible due to their relentless rule and ability to move 24"? The whole concept rather hinges on the army itself being very different from either footslogging BT and/or shooty Imperial Guard.
Its gonna be quite different. Enjoy the flexibility. Few armies can keep up with your speed, and most of those won't really want to. ;)

·
That Which Has No Time
1,451 Posts
Hey, Seraphim_Guard, great news! :)
Since more and more people keep jumping the wagon I have considered writing an in-depth Tactica: Space Marine Bike Armies. And maybe I will. But for now there are many sources of information on the topic here already. Feel free to join the Realm of Speed which harbors quite a few Space Marine bike army players. The playstyle will definitely be different from both Imperial Guard and Black Templars...
Most certainly! They require more caution and a different tactical approach than standard Space Marine armies, but since fifth edition has finally shifted the focus from merely blowing each other to pieces to moving about the battlefield, mobility has become key and bike armies have lots of that. Their speed enables them to redeploy unpredictedly and outmaneuver the the enemy, isolating parts of the enemy force and focusing the entire firepower on destroying it, while being gone before reinforcements arrive.
I won all my games I played with bike armies against a variety of opponents since I started playing again in September, and one of my "young apprentices" tied for first place in a tournament with his bike army just yesterday, to give you some reference. Believe me, Space Marine bike armies are very competitive.
It has become apparent that the most effective Space Marine bike army lists are those that use typhoon land speeders as their main fighting force. Lots of them. This is due to them being able to kill anything with the exception of AV13 and AV14 vehicles from light infantry to monstrous creatures to medium vehicles very effectively - and all that at awesome range and with awesome mobility. Your bikes carry upgrade weapons (and those are very important), but they can not provide long-ranged heavy support fire. This is what the typhoons do. The bikes are also unable to tote any hard-hitting cannons, and to cope for the lack, some people include vindicators into their bike army. Ordnance tanks can move and fire unimpededly and are thus able to more or less keep up while providing the heavy firepower required.
So bikes, typhoons, and vindicators really are the three most prominent units in bike armies. But variants are okay. You can include one mechanized tactical squad, for example, or an assault squad (though that one blocks your very precious fast attack slots). Other speeders are fine. Whirlwinds can be a good choice against some armies (e.g. Eldar). Some people prefer dakka preds despite them being unable to move and shoot effectively. But honestly: bikes + typhoons + maybe vindicators are the most effective bike army build of all.
You are correct.

Feel free to ask me any questions that might arise when designing your army. Be sure to let me know when you post an army list for comments and criticism. (Unfortunately I don't have time to browse the forum all the time, but many people just drop me a pm with a link, and then they're guaranteed I'll have a look.) When you buy your army: as psichotykwyrm said the Ravenwing box is a good deal, though you will require to have the upgrade weapons for your bike squads (meltas, flamers, plasmas) yourself (as they are not included in the box). At 1,500 points you would require something along the line of 12-20 bikes plus your captain, 3-4 attack bikes, 4-9 landspeeders, and -if you like- 2-3 vindicators. That would suffice for three to four minimum bike squads and a variety of support firepower in various configurations. Just to give you a general idea.

Good luck to you, mate! The Nebula Raiders glow with pride for every fellow brethren that takes a step away from the codex to see the greater truth. Mount up and ride to battle on two wheels of your own, for the swiftness of your attacks will vanquish anything.
Red

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks much for the reassurance. I will get cracking on an army list I can build with three ravenwing boxes. Keep on the look-out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts