Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So we have seen these lists a few times (I believe they are called Sethayla type lists)
i seem to be at a conundrum in my list thou. Usually in these lists we wish to minimize the number of troops that move slowly and have all units that can move around 18 inches or more.

Lord
High Born
-Dragon
-The Dawnspear
-Oaken Armor
-Shield

Heros

(dragon)

Noble
-Great Eagle
-Hail of Doom
-Helm of the Hunt
-La, Spear, Shield

Spellsinger
- Scroll x2

Core
Glade Riders x 5 + music
Glade Riders x 5 + music
Glade Guard x 10
Glade Guard x 10 I know they aren't Sethayla but i can build a list without atleast two units of these

Special
War Hawk Riders x 4
War Hawk Riders x 4
Wild Riders x6 + music + banner + war banner

Rare
Great Eagle
Great Eagle

total: 2016
PD: 3
DD: 3 + 2 scrolls

----
Now you see where my dilemma is. I only have 2016 points and i need closer to 2250. I have special slot still open and i could opt for another units of wild riders or war hawks. hook me up with some options!

-thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lord
High Born
-Dragon
-The Dawnspear
-Oaken Armor
-Shield
I would suggest a Stone of the Crystal Mere and a Sword of Might here instead of the Dawnspear. 3+ ward saves would help keep the model alive much longer.

Heros

(dragon)

Noble
-Great Eagle
-Hail of Doom
-Helm of the Hunt
-La, Spear, Shield
Make this guy a BSB perhaps. Asyendi's Bane and a Hail of Doom Arrow would work nicely.

Spellsinger
- Scroll x2

Core
Glade Riders x 5 + music
Glade Riders x 5 + music
Glade Guard x 10
Glade Guard x 10 I know they aren't Sethayla but i can build a list without at least two units of these
I would suggest that you bump up the Glade Guard units to 12 a piece and possibly take two more units of Glade Riders with a musician and a unit of 5 scouts.

Special
War Hawk Riders x 4
War Hawk Riders x 4
Wild Riders x6 + music + banner + war banner

I am not a fan of war hawk riders in general, and I think in this army they really don't serve much of a point besides being very fluffy. You have two great eagles in the army of mage/warmachine hunting. They won't win a combat for you and they are taking up space. I am all for you getting another unit of Wild Riders though.

Rare
Great Eagle
Great Eagle

total: 2016
PD: 3
DD: 3 + 2 scrolls

Looks like a interesting list, but I am very concerned about to the magic phase, but you have a lot of units to magic so I think that it will do alright. Let me know what you think and how it turns out.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SoCM i dont like to rely on since it is a fragile save.

I am not very worried about missile fire (there is a GREAT thread on protecting your rider and your lord by swarmofseals) It turns out the dragon is going to be perfectly fine against anything but a cannon heavy army.

I perfer my GG in units of 10, i like my min unit size.
scouts suck for their point value :(

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think he's got a decent Dragon. Any changes would be preferencial IMO.
Hmm, that said let me think....

4s5 attacks from the rider... and then the dragon's attacks... I'm thinking about that, you're going to be hit back in CC. I like the Dawnspear, but it IS contingent on getting wounds. However, it benefits other people in the combat. I prefer the Fimbulwinter shard, but I think the Dawnsper is a keeper! Of course, it will keep you from taking a ward, but an option is to take the Shard and the Spear together, this leaves you room for magic armor (you can get a 4+ with the enchanted shield.) Basically, test it and see what works, I find I also am not a fan of the SoCM on a Dragon; they just need to throw s3 shots at it to pop the ward.

Beyond preference:
I would strongly recommend NOT taking larger units of glade guard, they just get unwieldly and give away more points (a good use for them is redirecting charges, and they will get shot at! You don't want them pricey in either of those two scenarios) . If you really feel like you need more guns, go all in for a third unit or get a scout to march block. Given you have so many fliers, you probably don't need the scouts to march block, so probably go with 30 arrows. Actually, at close range that may get you some real killing power if you combine it with the HoDA.

Warhawks are great! They are fliers, so they can't be march blocked, and can march block. They also have a decent amount of wounds, which makes them march blockers with staying power. Given their 360 LoS, they can take down skirmishers/flankers. They can bait, can eat warmachines, etc. They're really a supportive swiss army knife! Most of all, they can assassinate level 2 mages. Given that you don't have strong anti-magic options, I think you NEED them in your list. The only change I might suggest here is not dropping them, but taking them in groups of three maybe to trim off some points, and make it so they give away less points if/when the whipe.

That said, you don't need more than two units if you have two eagles anyway. You're better off with a second unit of Wild Riders; and their high strength attacks will really benefit you! I'd definitely consider a second unit of these things.

Beyond that, I'd just go a standard alter as compared to a great eagle. 360 Los makes him a real threat on a flank. In combat, he's got a huge advantage being on that smaller base; and being small, if you charge him first, you can sidle your wild riders up right next to him, adding s6 attacks to their s5 charge! Beyond that, I'm really not a fan of the flying standard; it's too frail and easy to blast away, sure that's only if they catch it, but it makes him cost more, and if he whipes in combat (and you want your nobles to be able to fight) you just gave away and additional 125 points. If you feel you need mobile combat res, use your warbanner wild riders; given your a flying list, you don't need the re-rolling in combat, because if you hit combat and don't have flanks/rear, you did something wrong.

Simply put?
Great Eagle -> Alter Kin: -23 points.
Dropping Hawks: -80
Total: 103

You have 234 base points. This brings your total to: 337.
Extra Glade Guard:
352-120=217
Extra Wild Riders:
217-156=61

And I'm not quite sure what to do with those points.... :p Obviously, some of them might dissapear depending on what you do with your dragon. An option is to grab an extra warhawk or wild Riders and use the extra points on musicians for your glade guard.

61-40=21
21-6-6-6=3

Just ideas. ;)

I really like original lists!!!! I leave them long comments! I like it! Your list i mean :D

·
4,361 Posts
Some nice replies here. What I agree with is dropping the eagle from the noble and making him an alter. I would drop a warhawk from each group, drop a unit of glade riders and get another unit of wild riders.

Thats my opinion,
SirKently

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.