Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For anyone who wants, I'll be writing fluff for any army of their choice. I will need the various traits of the army, or even just the army list, and from those I will create the background for the army, how it came into being, how it became how it is... Stuff like that. If ideas are posted that are irrational, cheesy, pass é, or not representative of the race (caring necrons, democraticas Tau, cuddly Chaos, such will be ignored.) In such a case I will explain why the idea is unworkable, offer a minorly altered alternative, and/or a majorly altered alternative, if applicable.

I'll post the fluffs from the week on Sunday night, the week being defined as Sunday- Saturday. If you post anything on
Sunday, it will be posted the following Sunday.

Updates:

I will accept fanart requests in the near future.

I will not write for your uber-character or "lords of pwnage" or other silly game-breaking ideas. Don't even ask. Please.

I will accept form requests for your fluff; include it with the fluff. If it hasn't been done on this thread, describe the style. If it has been done, mention the name of the army whose fluff had a style you liked.

The following is a template for fluff submissions. It would make my life (and the writing of your fluff) easier if you stuck to the following;

-Name of Army
-(type of background; eg. army list, framework fluff, vague ideas, etc)
-background. blah blah blah
-style of writing

I will write fluff for ANY race (that still exists, no squats please). I will write for Dark Eldar, but you're gonna be giving me general DE info, cause I cannot find any DE codices. At all.

Thank you for flying Rafis117-Fluff

:D

Reactions: Krovin-Rezh

·
The Singing Blade
1,037 Posts
I posted a thread about rules here http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/rules-development/155147-help-new-chapter-equalizing.html

It's a Chaos Space Marine chapter, which at current specializes in large arrays of plasma weapons (I want to include choice for plasma cannons on most squads). All squads at current either have as many plasma weapons as possible. My chapter leader is the sorceror lord Endymion (pictures found on linked thread). I gave him a special psychic power which allows him to bolster the weapon skill and ballistic skill of a nearby squad until the end of the turn (which I generally cast on my havocs to avoid them missing). Apart from that he's a relatively normal sorceror lord.

I'm looking to include an extra choice (probably an elites) of some kind of special chosen of Endymion, but I haven't had any ideas yet. Maybe with some fluff I'll come out with the rules to match.

The chapter name is going to be some construation or other of "blood" and "moon", and the Icon / logo is a deep red crescent moon, with 3 spikes on it like the 3 closest to the bottom left of the 8 pointed chaos star.

If you want any more info just ask.

You are a truly wondrous person if you do, I've been trying to write fluff for them for a while now, but can't seem to do it.

~ Lowell

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, that is certainly very useful, and will form the core of the fluff.

do you know how they fell to Chaos? Chaos doesn't produce its own Space Marines, Chaos must Turn them. If you have not decided, I will take free reign, and go back as far as when they were a Loyalist Chapter, and how they Fell.

I recently wrote a short idea for a Loyalist Chapter, and a friend of mine took a look at it and asked me how it possibly came into existence, so I spent two hours pinning down the back-story as to how they fell from grace. (Not, though, the (False?) Emperor's light.)

---------- Post added at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was at 23:34 ----------

mind you, 90% of the information came from about 1 minute of fast thinking
the rest was nailing down details

---------- Post added at 23:55 ---------- Previous post was at 23:35 ----------

and I'm kicking myself for not asking before, but which of the Chaos Gods does your army serve?

·
The Singing Blade
1,037 Posts
In terms of which god it serves, it's relatively undivided. With the new rules it doesn't really matter anyway in terms of gameplay. The only god I have no models of at current is nurgle. (I have 1k sons, Bezerkers, and Daemonettes)

In terms of style, I like slaanesh the most, But my colour scheme doesn't follow slaanesh much, and in gameplay terms I can't sacrifice the 'zerker and thousand sons units an favour of, well, anything really. So I'm more than tempted to say just leave it undivided.

I have no idea idea how they fell to chaos, but you could probably include Dark Angels in it somehow. I've always had a fascination with the chapter, and you could maybe use them to explain the abundance of plasma weapons I have. (A war against them where my chapter took a lot of spoils, or maybe they ARE fallen Dark Angels, I dunno)

~ L

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Presenting Dream-Thief's Chaos chapter; this post is unusual in that I had extra time to work on it, and I wanted to set a precedent so that this thread will get noticed. The following will not be the only format of fluff by any means, and all other posts will be some time Saturday evening/night.

And so, without further ado;

The Bloody Crescents
--Formerly Burning Crescents--

Home world
--unknown... postulated that there never was one--

Founding Chapter
--unknown... postulated Thousand Sons [refer to Librarium, below]

Chapters Masters
--unknown--

Known Former Tactica
--As a result of not being a very static chapter, the Burning Crescents tended to bear energy weapons if at all possible, preferring plasma over lasers due to the "purifying" effect of plasma. Potent psychically, to the point of a perceived Thousand Sons connection, they would burn the minds and bodies of the Emperor's enemies.--

History
--A zealous Chapter, they plied the stars, killing the Emperor's enemies, including the Xenos, the Heretic, and generally anyone who did not bend knee before the God Emperor. However, like all enforcers who care too much, the Burning Crescents tended to burn out, becoming bitter and resentful. Eventually, this culminated in a clash with the Dark Angels, who were set on carrying out exterminatus on a planet that the Crescents were in the process of protecting. The Dark Angels did not give any specifics, but their representatives hinted at Chaos cults on the planet, and suspiciously armored Space Marines. Rumors from the hive cities, as documented by the Adeptus Arbites, suggest that Cypher, postulated to be a Fallen Dark Angel (pending investigation and possible exterminatus) was seen around the cult's believed location. Neither Chapter would budge, and after weeks of attempted negotiations, the Dark Angels assumed that the Burning Crescents had been Turned, and declared war. The Crescents were in fact still loyal, and were stunned by this turn of events. They fought off the Dark Angels, broke the blockade, and left the system. The Dark Angels pursued, and eventually backed the Burning Crescents into a corner. The Crescents at this point were bitter, angry, and were willing to take ANY way out. They felt betrayed, and rightly so. They postulated that if His enforcers could be so wrong and yet still carry the Imperium's might behind them, then there was nothing left for Space Marines to defend. As they readied themselves for their final stand, a Demon Prince, along with Cypher and a Chaos Space Marine retinue, approached the Burning Crescents and offered them a way out. Khorne's representatives offered strength, Nurgle's Marines offered to curse the Dark Angels. Tzeentch's spokesmen (spokesthings?) offered a place to hide and superhuman psychic power, and Slaanesh used her Marines to win over the Burning Crescents to Chaos, counting such as a victory in itself. The Burning Crescents could not bear to give up the offer of any one of the Chaos Powers and so swore themselves to Chaos Undivided, in return for the strength and assorted blessings of all. They took a new name, the Bloody Crescents, and disappeared from the Dark Angels, much to the latter's chagrin.-- [much of the previous information was gained from captured Chaos Marines and heretic cultists.]

Known Chaos Tactica
--Without large supplies of ammunition, the Bloody Crescents continue to rely on plasma technology as much as possible. Their Psykers, now further augmented by the powers of Slaanesh, can cast multitudes of spells, and do so often.

Chaos Chapters Masters
--unknown... postulated that ~~[transmission lost in the warp. Upon investigation, the logs could not be found]~~ --

Librarium
--Very potent Psychically, to the point of a perceived connection with the Thousand Sons, who in fact left a squad of Marines with the Bloody Crescents, both to assist the latter and to observe the new Chaos Chapter. Their Chief Librarian, the Sorcerer Lord Endymion, who is rumored to have taken a "second hat" as the Chapter Master as well. This is viewed as insane, heretical raving and few people actually believe it. There is some possibility, though, (May the Emperor protect us from such) and queries have been made, and it is now part of the standard questioning of any captured Heretics, Daemons, or cultists. Whether or not Endymion is the Chapter Master as well, he is one of the more potent human psykers in recorded history, capable of everything from laying waste to armies to subtle influence of the mind of even the most Emperor-fearing individuals. He is known, however, for using his power very conservatively, having once "run dry" in the midst of a battle and was almost routed. He tends to use his power to increase the effectiveness of his squads, a complicated manipulation to be sure, but one that is believed to take exponentially less power. No one knows the effect that the repeated use of this power has on the minds, bodies, and weapons of the influenced Chaos Marines, but Psykers who were asked to give their opinion on the subject came to a consensus that whatever the effect, especially on the minds of the Bloody crescents, it was very worrisome.--

Conclusion
--This force is a severe threat, and a taskforce should be composed to hunt down these heretics before they cause serious damage.--

·
Registered
71 Posts
alright bud, I got a challenge for you.

Chapter Make-up: sternguard, tactical marines, landspeeders, and dreadnoughts. very few assualt squads and terminators. Everything that can is in a drop pod, the rest deep strike

Chapter name: "The Heralds."

Commander: Ra'Rog, affectionaltely nicknamed the Raging Rancor

Prefered Combat Tactic: flamers and meltas. Drop in and roast everything.

sort of want a brush with chaos feel, jealousy or revenge? they're green trimmed, black armoured. Thrive on fear caused by their "shock and awe" drop pod attack.

I was wondering how you would take a spin with this. I appreciate it and thanks in advance. cheers.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmm...

bridle18, is there any continuity in your chapter? You have shooty-marines, super-shooty-marines, shooty-fast-vehicles, and undead-all-around-unit.

your units specialize in short-range shooting, your commander sounds like a melee unit, (or a squiggoth), and you forsook all serious melee units.

this is going to take a while, assuming there is as little continuity as I see. are there any patterns? do you subscribe to specific doctrines? how do your games play out?

and why, if you specialize in so much close-range shooting, do you not take advantage of the fact that your most common non-bolter weapons are assault weapons, meaning that you can move, shoot, AND assault in the same turn - but you have few melee units if any.

I'm assuming that there is a very good reason for this that I don't see - game scores, a hidden strategy, something. It seems, however, that your army would have trouble popping any army that isn't a melee army (e.g. orks, kroot, 'nids) or a tank army (e.g. IG), except when your sternguard or dread' get to shoot, and even then that's only an upper maximum of sixteen hits per round farther than 36", if and only if you have made due sacrifices to the dice gods. (That would have to be a whopping huge sacrifice too, like the population of a small town.)

I have tentative ideas for a purifying flame sort of thing; purifying others to prove that they purified themselves, but if I understood why you have this most interesting setup, it could cut down my work by almost and order of magnitude.

·
Registered
71 Posts
k, I really hate to appear to lecture you, but I'll just quickly run through drop pod 101.

Space marines are a small enough force as it is, but drop pod forces are extremely fragile, as at most on a single turn you will have only half the points present, within rapid fire range, as your enemy does. therefore, you need to out put damage quick, and i mean quick. and as heavy weapons can't shoot on the turn you land, you need something else to hammer armour. hence the melta guns. flamers, well, you need to do damage to limit the amount of damage coming back, hence the flamers. lastly, dreadnoughts are the ones meant for combat. they get stuck in while the rest flamerize and melt stuff. also, there's no gauranteed starting position, so you will have to move around quite a bit the turn after you land, hence the assualt weapons. land speeders are included for both flavour and purpose. an attack bike would do the job better and cheaper, but they can't deepstrike. the speeders go tank hunting and try to pop some rear armour wide open. the tactical squads focus mainly on troops, but if theres a tank, then thats priority for melta squads. its a real hit or miss army, and I try to take the luck out of it by using meltas and flamers to even the playing field on the turn 1 when only half the army is allowed to apear. and just to reiterate, the reason i have assualt weapons that i dont assualt with is purely becuase they can do gross amounts of damage the turn i land, cause i can't fire heavy weapons. most units don't make it long past the turn they land, as they get pretty shot up.

and i know the commander has a funky name, but Ra'rog is a slavic word meaning whirlwind spirit. and rancor is defined in the dictionary as meaning bitter. so basically his name means a demon whose has a terrible temper because hes bitter about something.

as for game play, drop down, use the pods as a barrier to divide the enemy. focusing on a small section at a time. irradicating it. forcing the enemy to go the long way around my wall of pods, or shoot the pods and go through the wreckage. anyways, its me getting a turn or two to extra to shoot, or them wasting big guns on 30 point immobile objects that only have a storm bolter at bs 2. oh and dreadnoughts have heavy flamers and multi meltas, really good for ensuring a tank or elite unit is taken care of.

I fight tau necrons marines, ig, nids and orcs pretty frequently and as long as i don't apear one unit a turn, i normally win.

If you poll anybody who has an entire army who enter the table via drop pod and has had any success with it, this is the purist set up.

And that sounds like an awesome idea, the whole purifying flame thing. I hope this helps

---------- Post added at 22:32 ---------- Previous post was at 22:03 ----------

oh and one last thing. no assualt units cause they get freemed and focused on when i land. complete waste of the points

·
Registered
524 Posts
Heres one if you want to:

Name: Imperial Thorns (or related)

Setup: Lots of armor; 7 active suits of TDA- Chapter Master, Master of Sanctity, Termy squad; 2 Dreads with former Chapter Master and former MoS; extremely good tank hunters and several members are Chronus-ey

Founding: almost unknown 2nd or 3rd founding of Imperial Fists overshadowed by BT and Crimson Fists

I have been trying for like 3 years, good luck.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bridle18

I was considering having the Heralds be a Word Bearers successor, then realized that they could not have so open a connection - the legions Fell before the Codex Astartes was written

Also, thanks for the drop-pod 101. I play Eldar, and we don't dick around with silly things like dropping metal sarcophagi (which they so often end up being) out of the sky. If we want to deep-strike we do it.

I'll do something like that most of the veterans were on a mission, and were hit by the Curse of Unbelief, and Fell. Everyone else is trying to purify and cleanse (to prove to the skeptical inquisition that THEY didn't get hit and that it wasn't a flaw in the geneseed, curses happen); and they try to move in-and-out as quickly as possible so as not get hit by any more curses. (and I just realized how blatantly that sentence is an innuendo when I actually wrote it.)

the final product will be posted Saturday night, since I think that i have everything I need to write this.

"Shadow Nugz" - This chapter seems a little understaffed and underequiped for an Imperial Fists successor chapter. The IFs, who specialize in siege warfare (and thus haul a LOT of supplies around) would certainly leave any succesor chapter with more than a single SQUAD of termies. After Lysander's battle, one would think that termies would be a bit short, but still...

additionally, you seem to have a severe lack of troop choices, and I will not write fluff for an illegal army list. unless this is a deathwing army?

Additionally, I have two PSAs.

I will now offer to write slightly more in-depth fluff for individual characters, not just the army. (Not all characters, especially not with IG, just the dramatis personas).

I will also allow people to chose the format of their fluff. If there format that has not yet been posted here, please describe it. If it has already been posted, please ask for the format by one or more of the army(ies) for which it has been used.

·
The Singing Blade
1,037 Posts
Feel like doing some fluff for my Endymion character?

I'll give you details if you will. I just don't want to feel like I'm "hogging" you :p

~ L

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
heh.

dream-thief, there have been three army fluff requests so far. fleshing out the start I made on your Sorcerer Lord would not steal any more time than I pretended to budget anyway. Seriously.

if this thread start picking up, I might have to cut back on unnecessary things, like eating and sleeping, and if it gets REALLY bad, building my Eldar. If this thread takes over my life (about a 50% chance), I may have to stop exhaling or something. Do you have any idea how much time a person exhales in a day? It's absurd.

·
The Singing Blade
1,037 Posts
You're going to end up taking most of my rep's ¬¬

In terms of details - You know more about him than me to be honest. There's a picture here - http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/modelling/155300-need-less-slaanesh.html - if you haven't already seen it. Maybe something about how he came about his staff would be cool (picked up, made, &c.) And his ability to enhance his Marines' minds for accuracy purposes. How he came to be leader of the chapter. Details of his flight from the dark angels with his personal guard (the Chosen of Endymion - http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/rules-development/156770-own-design-chaos-unit.html) I don't really know where to go to be honest. Ask me some questions... if you need to :p

~ Lowell

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
or I can just tap into Endymions mind-bending awesomeness (literally mind-bending) and figure out the answers to my questions

which would probably be faster, if it were possible

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
see, I knew that you were going to say that

and you will have partially, even subconsciously, expected my response,

1 - 20 of 130 Posts