Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally decided to start painting up my Raven Guard. Eventually, I'll collect the whoe 3rd company (actually, I just need 10 more tactical marines & their transports and I'm done), but I have been trying to find a place to start painting them.

So the main goal of this army list is to make a Raven Guard list that can handle itself well against pretty much anyone, while at the same time staying fluffy and true to how the RG fight (see the guide by Lost Nemesis if you have any concerns).

A few concerns I have about the list:
1. There is an even number of Drop Pods in the list (I have 4), causing 2 in the inital drop and 2 more trickling in over time.
2. I am trying to work on the initial impact of Shrike - making it not too big or too small.
3. The list is also pretty troop heavy, which, while that's not a huge deal, isn't something that I'm necessarily stuck on. I'd like to get a nice range of models to paint and to play with, adding to the diversity of the list.
4. I'd like to take advantage of Fleet (typically in an alpha-strike type scenario with scouts & Assault Marines), while not limiting myself to straight fast CC squads in the entire army.

The hopes would be to get some constructive criticism that can let me have my 1500 pt list to play, as well as a list to direct my painting attempts towards. I look forward to any advice, and would really appreciate any and all comments.

So, without further fanfair, here is the list:
HQ:
Shrike - 195
Well, I know you don't have to take Shrike to be RG, but I just love the fact that I can fleet, and infiltrate a unit of my choice (even though I know there is some rule-lawyers who might say I can't). He's a pretty good captain as well, if a bit expensive. He's about the only thing in the list that I think has to stay for now. I usually infiltrate Shrike with the 5-man assault squad, and pick a pretty valuable infantry squad to go after. The 5-man suqad sometimes survives, but rarely makes it past the first turn of enemy fire (which is why I need to keep it cheap, or go the SS/TH route).

ELITE:
Sternguard Veterans in Drop Pod - 235
8-Men, basic weapons only
I added these guys in last as a 'suicidal drop squad'. I will always be dropping them as part of the first wave, and will select an infantry unit that I need to die. Typically, this unit is then hit by the assault scout squad as well. This allows me 2 high-impact infantry units (typically) dead in the first turn.

TROOP:
Tactical Squad 1 in Drop Pod - 245
CbM, PF on Sergeant, Meltagun, Multi-Melta

Tactical Squad 3 in Drop Pod - 245
All of the infantry squads have the role of dropping in and taking out a vehicle. After that, I typically hunker down and maintain a 24" "zone of death" with the MM. I admit that it does limit the effective range of the squad, but it's amazing the trouble some people go through to avoid a MM shot to the head. Usually, I drop one with the sternguard, and the other two drop to claim objectives, or where they are needed the most. I'd be fine with dropping one of these squads, but I have no idea what else I'd take with the saved points.

Sniper Scout Squad - 100
5-man squad with Camo Cloaks & HB
This squad typically sits back on an objective in deep cover, utilizing their range and cover saves to try to hang on to the objective. Coupled with a tactical squad, I can usually hold 1objective without too much trouble. There BS is a problem with the Sniper Rifles though.

Assault Scout Squad - 100
5-man squad, PF on Sergeant
I usually target a 2nd infantry unit (or vehicle in desperate times) with this squad. They have yet to survive the first round of enemy fire, but considering they only cost 100 points, and can usually take down a rather effective unit, they are worth their points cost, especially when used in conjunction with the sternguard.

FAST ATTACK:
Assault Squad - 135
5-Man squad, Pair of LC, MB on Sergeant
I've been trying to get this unit to be effective, without breaking the bank. They usually don't survive past the first turn of enemy fire, but they do seem to destroy what I point them at (usually a command squad or some such thing). People have suggested switching them out for a 5-man squad with TH & SS, but I have a hard time justifying (fluff-wise) how a 5-man squad of huge men snuck their way into a good attack position.

TOTAL: 1500

So, what do you think?

·
4,967 Posts
I wold drop Shrike. Obviously not all Raven Guard armies use him. His fleet ability is the main reason to take him but your army doesn't really need fleet on many of the units.

Pure Shrike armies should take plenty of assault termies, assault squads, scouts with bp/ccw etc. All these benefit greatly from fleet.
Taking sniper scouts, tac squads and bikes is fine but they rarely use fleet so take a different HQ and get your combat tactics back.

·
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's completely right! Let me revise the list to try to take advantage of the fleet a bit more without totally abandoning my beloved tacticals (they are the backbone of the army list, according to ... ah... what's his name again...you know... that ultramarine guy...)

HQ:
Shrike - 195

ELITE:
Sternguard Veterans in Drop Pod - 255
8-Men, 2 CbM

Assault Terminator Squad - 200 (should this be another assault squad for fluff?)
5-man squad w/TH & SS ???or LC???
(OK, now I just need fluff-reasons as to how this squad could have gotten into position with shrike).

TROOP:

Tactical Squad 2 in Drop Pod - 245

Assault Scout Squad - 90
5-man squad CCW&BP, PW on Sergeant

FAST ATTACK:
Assault Squad - 210
10-Man squad, LC/BP/MB on sergeant
(I know this isn't as good as a PF, but I'm 5 points over...)

Land Speeder Storm - 60
Heavy Flamer

·
4,967 Posts
HQ: Good.

Elites: Termies infiltrating with shrike are excellent. I would go for 3 TH/SS and 2 claws. that should be enough to allocate nasty AP hits to the SS guys. Two claws will thin out infantry as you charge letting you allocate non power weapon wounds to the claw guys who have already attacked that round.
The sternguard are ok but I might be tempted to cut these in favour of more tac squads or my prefered option would be 15 more scouts. If they are in the first drop pod wave they will need a PF as most enemies will charge them to stop them using the special ammo a second time. Move the PF from the second wave tac squad here.

Troops: Tac squads are fine. Scouts are good. If you get first turn you don't even need the transport to get a turn 1 charge. Just use infiltrate, the scout move, normal move and fleet to get you in contact.

Fast: Speeder is fine. HF is a good choice because it is BS3. Assault marines are good, I would take a TH on the champion as insurance against a dread charging you and locking you in a useless combat.

Heavy: Perfect.

·
Registered
237 Posts
although its a tad expensive whydont you look at a vanguard squad instead of assault squad then you have a massive first turn charge with shrike if you kit them out right there almost as durable as termies but you can knock a hell of alot more attacks out (if you have enough lc and th/ss this is a really killy unit)

also people sometimes ignore them as they see them as glory boy easily killed expensive assault squads which they can bei think the tacticals would work really well with this and if you can squeeze the points up your sternguard to ten men to give you that bit of combat squad versatility if you need it

excuse the bad grammar its early

ohand fluff wise the vanguard would be shrikes wing more fluffy than assault termies to further point out the vanguards only weakness is cost if you go silly you can end up with a 600 point plus unitwhich is a lot but not a lot survives 40+ pw/th/pf attacks(not sure how many shrike has so not included him)

people will avoid it to death once they watch something get rapid fired then assaulted by this(rapid fire is sternguard)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Infiltrate Terminator Assault Squad with Shrike....I love it. I have to try this some time.

I agree with Mad Cat, give your Stern sergeant a PF.

This breaks the fluff a bit, but with your original list, a counts-as Vulkan would do great. Captain [insert name] of the RG [insert company]? Unfluffy but all those meltas will have a field day.

·
DROP PODS!!
690 Posts
i've been experimenting with my lists, last game i had, I tried Shrike, jump chaplain, 5 man vanguard jump packs with 3 power weapons, out flanking i managed to beat 2 crisis suits a commander 20 kroot and 10 hounds in two turns of combat,

·
Registered
316 Posts
i've been experimenting with my lists, last game i had, I tried Shrike, jump chaplain, 5 man vanguard jump packs with 3 power weapons, out flanking i managed to beat 2 crisis suits a commander 20 kroot and 10 hounds in two turns of combat,
That squad sounds so overly brutal. I may be wrong, but is that 17 power weapon attacks on the charge? And all attacks with rerolls to hit?? Pure awesome.

·
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, so I think this might be the last revision. I layed the army out on a table last night, and looked it over to see what I thought.

I had a hard time with the sternguard in the list. I know they are awesome, and can really act as a line-breaking unit, but I think that they just don't fit into how I think of the Raven Guard (for at least this list, at this point). They definately will make a return when the list grows to 1750 (in fact, that's probably my only my addition), but for now, I want to keep them out of the list strictly for fluff reasons (and I want to remodel them before I paint them).

So, finally, here is the list I came up with. I've abandoned the LSS in favor of more scouts, and added in another tactical squad to keep my DPs at 3. This tactical focused on killing troops (2 flamers & a ML). This will allow me the flexibility to drop either 2 vehicle focused tacticals first turn (if only vehicles present themselves), or a vehicle & troop combination.

I plan on infiltrating Shrike with the Terminators, but if I think people will pull some crazy shenanigans, I can attach Shrike to the assault squad instead and attampt to outflank, along with the 10-man scout squad.

I see the list in a two-part scenario, with the terminators, scouts and assault marines taking advantage of (possible) special deployment and fleet. The 3 drop podding marine squads act as a bulwark when necessary, or can claim objectives as required.

So heres' the list:

HQ:
Shrike - 195
He's still here...

ELITE:
Assault Terminator Squad - 200
5-Man Squad, 4 TH/SS, 1 Sergeant with a Pair of LCs
I kept the sergeant with LCs because it's a fluff-idea of how the Raven Guard are armed as they advance through the ranks. In my fluff-idea, this terminator sergeant is the one on the ship above (while shrike is messing around down below) who is organizing the drop pod squads and his terminators for 'teleportation', so he's sort of 2nd in command of the company. Therefore, to be more 'ravenguardy', he's got some LCs to mark him as a leader.

TROOP:
Tactical Squad 1 - 245
10-man squad, Sergeant w/PF & CbM, Meltagun, Multi-melta with Drop Pod

Tactical Squad 2 - 245
10-man squad, Sergeant w/PF & CbM, Meltagun, Multi-melta with Drop Pod
These act as my vehicle smashers if necessary, or my objective claimers, and as the codex suggests, they form the backbone of my army.

Tactical Squad 3 - 240
10-man squad, Sergeant w/PF & CbF, Flamer, Missile Laucher in Drop Pod
This is the new Tactical Squad Addition, acting as a weaker version of the Sternguard. I added 2 flamer templates to allow the squad to drop onto a weakishly defended objective (as required), and flame away, or wait to be part of the 2nd wave, and assist other squads as required.

Assault Scout Squad - 170
10-man scout squad, BP & CCW, Sergeant w/PW & MBs
I buffed this squad up to allow it to hit harder and cause more initial damage, and still have the chance of getting out of combat to hit something else. I just put the MBs on to fill some points. Plus, it is a scout squad that Shrike would have depended on to get himself into position.

FAST ATTACK:
Assault Marine Squad - 215
10-man assault squad, BP & CCW, Sergeant w/PF
This squad is the 2ndary way for Shrike to appear (outflank), and will serve as a good quick bulwark to whatever squad needs some CC help.

TOTAL: 1500

I know its not the most effective list out there, but I think it should do OK against most lists, and it has the flexibility to adjust its tactics as required.

After I get this list painted, I'm going to paint the 3 Rhino/Razorbacks I have for the tactical squad, to allow a 'land rush', and then I'm going to paint up the 2nd Assault Squad, 2nd Scout Squad (maybe with shotguns for a different look), and the Sternguard veteran squad. That would give me an easy 2000 pt army to field, with some decent variation.

Any thoughts, comments or criticisms?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts