Scout Squad(Ten)-Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher, Camo Cloaks-150

Scout Squad(Ten)-CCW & Bolt Pistols,Melta Bombs, Sarg w/ PF-155

Tactical Squad(Ten)-Bolters, Las Cannon, Flamer, Sarg w/ PF, Drop Pod-240

Elite
Stern Guard(Seven)-PF, Drop Pod-235

Fast Attack
Assault Squad(Ten)-Sarg w/ PF-215

Scout Bikers(Ten)-Three Astartes Grenade Launcher, Cluster Mines-270

Land Speeder Squadron(Three)-(1)Assault Cannon, Heavy Bolter, (2)Multi-Melta, (3)Multi-Melta-210

Total-1850

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
1)Could it be competitive?
2)Tactics to make it competitive?
3)Any unit changes?
4)Enough Anti-Tank?

HQ
Kayvaan Shrike-195

Troops
Scout Squad(Ten)-Bolters, Heavy Bolter-150

Scout Squad(Ten)-Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher, Camo Cloaks-150

Scout Squad(Ten)-CCW & Bolt Pistols,Melta Bombs, Sarg w/ PF-155

Tactical Squad(Ten)-Bolters, Las Cannon, Flamer, Sarg w/ PF, Drop Pod-240
Personally I feel that is way too many scouts, two squads, both with SR and ML would be good against monstrous, Armour of 12 or lower, and units.

I would get another Tactical with a Rhino for some more mobility on the field, so you don't just drop your only squad and they are pretty much stuck there and have to foot slog, or easy pickings for ordinance. Maybe ML and Melta, good str combo.

Elite
Stern Guard(Seven)-PF, Drop Pod-235

Fast Attack
Assault Squad(Ten)-Sarg w/ PF-215

Scout Bikers(Ten)-Three Astartes Grenade Launcher, Cluster Mines-270

Land Speeder Squadron(Three)-(1)Assault Cannon, Heavy Bolter, (2)Multi-Melta, (3)Multi-Melta-210

Total-1850
Sternguard are amazing, if not the most crucial unit for the SM's IMO. Give AT LEAST two of them a combi-melta's. Fire deadly rounds that can take out pretty much anyting AND Melta's to take out tanks, five birds with one stone lol I love using them, they do a hell of alot of damage.

With kayvaan I would imagine you would use more Assaulty type troops no? Not too sure.

How are you going to play your Speeders? I use MM and HF for both horde/unit/anti-tank deep strike, works extremely well, use 3 in my 1.5k point. Very vital.

Unfortunately I do not use bikes nor do I know much about them, so cant give ya feedback on that :(

·
4,967 Posts
If you take Shrike make use of the fleet rule more. Tac squads, snipers, bikes and srternguard will rarely use fleet. Combat scouts, assault marines and assault termies will use fleet all the time. I would either take more units like this or ditch Shrike to get your combat tactics back.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'd have to agree with the others that the list is sort of going two directions. I'd go either Long Range like you are now keeping the sniper scouts and such, and then take either a generic Ravenguard Captain, Sicarius as a Ravenguard to allow a unit of infiltrating Tacticals or maybe a Librarian gating with a unit of Sternguard (not sure about the Ravenguard fluff on Librarians, but I think they just like anyone else).

Or alternatively take Shrike and more assaulty stuff, assault squads, combat scouts (Scout move and fleet could be nice), maybe even Vanguard (they work for some people). Hmm you are not going to have enough Fast Attack slots.

Hope that give you some ideas.

cheers

·
Festo Diata
917 Posts
I play a similar army, but tackle anti-tank very differently. Using an allied Daemonhunter Inquisitor with Emperor's Tarot (35 points), you can really tip the odds in your favor for getting first turn. Not only that, but after your opponent deploys, you can tailor your infiltrators (Shrike+Assault Marines, Scouts, Scout Bikes) to quickly defeat problem units. Here's how I approach it:

5 Scouts
- Missile Launcher
- 3 Sniper Rifles
- Sergeant
--Powerfist
--Melta Bombs

3 Scout Bikes
- Cluster Mines
- Sergeant
--Powerfist
--Melta Bombs

When I win first turn, I Infiltrate and Scout these two units as fast as possible towards enemy armor. They can easily get the charge on the first turn, even the regular Scouts with their Scout move. Using a Powerfist, you can dispatch your enemy's big vehicles (Leman Russ, Predator) before they even move! For targets with a good Back Armor value, take Melta Bombs. Since your opponent hasn't even gotten a turn yet, you hit automatically. It's a relief when you destroy a Land Raider full of Assault Terminators in your opponents deployment zone, and you only lose 5 Scouts doing it. (Who knows, they may even Powerfist a Terminator before they go down...)

If your opponent doesn't have problem vehicles, or plays Guard, use the Scouts to get into combat with Heavy Weapons teams, Ork Lootas, etc and kill them off before they even fire. If by chance you don't get first turn, you can always hang back and fire your Sniper Rifles and Missile at whatever you like. Scouts are extremely versatile in a Raven Guard army. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts