Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about flyers manly the Valkary and the Vulture. Is either of these worth it? I know they cost a hell of a lot because there Forge World, But are they point cost worthy in game? What makes them useful weapons? What’s the difference I know the valkary can carry some troops but do they carry the same weapons? Finally what do they fall under in the force organization chart? Heavy weapons? If I’m not allowed to ask the last on then ignore it please. Any more information would be helpful, along with how any of you have used them in battle, and personal opinions <of the flyers> are welcome.

·
Registered
276 Posts
flyers have there own rulez i believe you can read them in the imperial armor 4 edt
but yes flyers are mean but i can not explain the rulez because i dont remember them

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
The rules for fliers and the specific entries for vultures and valkyries are in Imperial Armour volume 1 - which is quite expensive by its self.

Vulture gunship is a heavy support choice, it has 4 wing hardpoints which can take varrious weapons fits, plus a nose mounted gun, it is frankly quite nasty, I love mine, it is a HS choice for an IG army. It is easey to point out issues with it- light armour, weapons fits make it multi role on anti infantry, high points cost, but these must be taken in context of the whole fliers rules - I think they are worth it

Valkyries - basically a cross between a vulture and a chimera, in soviet terms, the Vulture is the Mi28 havoc and the Valkyrie is the Mi24 hind, the Valk only has 2 hard points, so fewer weapons options. To deliver its troops it must engage VTOL mode (you can do this with vultures too but why anyone would is beyond me) - engaging VTOL mode makes the thing as vulnerable as the lightest skimmer which has not moved. Whilst doing this allows you to deliver a single IG with pin point acuracy, we all know how effective a single IG squad is, since you pay around 200 points for the valk, this makes the guard squad close to 300 points, seconds after engaging VTOL mode, the vulture will be dead meat, there for I stay away from them and go with drop troops

·
Registered
279 Posts
Cheredanine said:
The rules for fliers and the specific entries for vultures and valkyries are in Imperial Armour volume 1 - which is quite expensive by its self.

Vulture gunship is a heavy support choice, it has 4 wing hardpoints which can take varrious weapons fits, plus a nose mounted gun, it is frankly quite nasty, I love mine, it is a HS choice for an IG army. It is easey to point out issues with it- light armour, weapons fits make it multi role on anti infantry, high points cost, but these must be taken in context of the whole fliers rules - I think they are worth it

Valkyries - basically a cross between a vulture and a chimera, in soviet terms, the Vulture is the Mi28 havoc and the Valkyrie is the Mi24 hind, the Valk only has 2 hard points, so fewer weapons options. To deliver its troops it must engage VTOL mode (you can do this with vultures too but why anyone would is beyond me) - engaging VTOL mode makes the thing as vulnerable as the lightest skimmer which has not moved. Whilst doing this allows you to deliver a single IG with pin point acuracy, we all know how effective a single IG squad is, since you pay around 200 points for the valk, this makes the guard squad close to 300 points, seconds after engaging VTOL mode, the vulture will be dead meat, there for I stay away from them and go with drop troops

Engaging VTOL mode allows a second round of shooting, once in the opponent's turn and once in your own turn. With a rocket-pod Vulture, that means two heavy bolter shots and SIXTEEN blast templates during one whole game-turn.

That's why someone might consider it. :)

Also you don't need to engage VTOL to drop off troops from a Valkyrie, you can do a hot-drop, leaving the table in the same turn as you arrive, retaining all normal flyer benefits.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Fight Fight Fight! :)

Harbish said:
Engaging VTOL mode allows a second round of shooting, once in the opponent's turn and once in your own turn. With a rocket-pod Vulture, that means two heavy bolter shots and SIXTEEN blast templates during one whole game-turn.
but you wont get that because you have lost the range modifier and to hit modifiers and are basically a stationary vehicle with pants armour, with a worse damage table than normal, a target for anyone with a bolter, if your opponent leaves it there for the second set of shooting he deserves all he gets

Also you don't need to engage VTOL to drop off troops from a Valkyrie, you can do a hot-drop, leaving the table in the same turn as you arrive, retaining all normal flyer benefits.
Erm I believe you do, my copy of IA is at home and so I can onyl check it this evening, perhaops someone has a copy handy, but I believe you need to engage VTOL to drop off troops and VTOL=dead

·
Registered
777 Posts
Seems to me that you could always just use the VTOL on turn 6 as a game finisher. They cant very well shoot at it if the game is over. But seeing as how I've never used fliers, this is all just speculation for me.

I've always liked the Thunderbolt. I think the vulture is a better fighter in game terms, but I just love the WWII feel it. That's one sexy bird [Thunderbolt].

The Marauder might be fun too...you can drop a @%*&load of ordinance (although the ordinance is relatively weak against heavily armored units).

·
Registered
552 Posts
I believe Harbish is correct about the hot drop.

However I still think the Vulture is a much better choice than the Valkyrie. The additional hardpoints make it much more effective in a multi-task role. Even if a VTOL Valkyrie busts off a ton of blast templates before it's shot down, it will have a hard time killing its points back. The Vulture, on the other hand, can lay down equivalent firepower without going into VTOL because of the extra hardpoints. If it stays in motion, it's less likely to be shot down, which means it doesn't have to kill its points back, as its points aren't sacrificed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts