Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so i have my one nasty Dark Eldar army of competativeness, and with the new nid codex out i've had a flick through and i feel like i'm inspired to have a flying nid army.

First off, wtf is with gargoyles not being Troops :(, so to get around that i'm going to model Hormagaunts as flying models (but only about 1 inch off the ground, else LoS issues, and they potentially get the same charge as the gargoyles anyways, so i don't mind too much)

With that in mind, this is what i was thinking, and my question is beyond it being fun, how can i make it stay competativeness.

1k Army in mind here, i'll post my ideas for expansion afterwards.

Parasite of Metrex (Cheapest flying HQ option)
3 Shrike with Deathspitters and Barbed Strangler (Anti-infantry)
4 Shrike with Venom Cannon and Lash Whip and Bone Sword (Transport Popper and (hopefully) Troop Killer)
Harpy with TL Heavy Venom Cannon, Regeneration
15 Hormagaunts - Plain
15 Harmagaunts - Adrenal
15 Hormagaunts - Toxic

Which Leaves me right on 1000

Future upgrades would be beef up Shrikes and Hormagaunts, and get a Flying Hive Tyrant, and kit up the Harpy a bit more.
Primary Worry, lack of high str weapons, i only have the harpy. Transports shouldn't be too difficult, but it's still a worry...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You have some anti-tank issues IMHO. Venom Cannons are unreliable, and other than the Harpy you've got nothing. However, I'm not sure how to fix this while not losing the theme of your army.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have some anti-tank issues IMHO. Venom Cannons are unreliable, and other than the Harpy you've got nothing. However, I'm not sure how to fix this while not losing the theme of your army.
I suppose i could model flying Zoanthorpes...would that help matters? Or possibly Flying Hive Guard? (obviously all modelled to theme)

So change it to

Parasite of Metrex
3 Shrike with Strangler and Death spitters
3 Shrikle w/Lash and Bone sword
10 Hormagaunts
10 Hormagauts w/Adrenal
15 Hormagaunts w/Toxin
2 Zoanothorpes

1k even

or swap the 2 Zoanothorpes out for 2 Hive guard and 3 more hormagains
obviously the range is an issue with the zoanthorpes...any other suggestion?

·
458 Posts
I suppose i could model flying Zoanthorpes...would that help matters?
If you read the book Zoanthropes are definately flying (well hovering) held there by their pyschic power! however they don't have wings how important is that to you?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have an idea to make your troops fly. Instead of wings (which would either cost a lot or take a lot of time to create from scratch) you can give them bloated sacs. Fluff-wise they'd fly around like Spores, being bouyant, which explains why they are slower than the rest of the flying units.
Something like this, but not as exagerated:
Pulmonic Sliver (Time Spiral) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmm....yes the wings have been perplexing for me =p, I was considering just using Gargoyles, but then i'd have to somehow swap the guns for talons, which would mean buying hormagaunts.

I could potentially buy hormagaunts and gargolyes, and make 10 flygaunts and 10 termagaunts that i'd have to sell off to someone....(I have at least one friend who plays nid, possibly two)

but this will be a long term project for sure =p

I think i'll start with the shrike, but i'm informed that nid warrior boxes don't come with wings, so i'm again at a loss lol :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think i'll start with the shrike, but i'm informed that nid warrior boxes don't come with wings, so i'm again at a loss lol :(
You can get nice Tyranid Warrior wings from Forgeworld. They are not cheap, at £14 for three pairs of wings, but they are lovely. Incredibly detailed, and made of light resin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts