Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of folks have posted stuff asking how to make hills, trenches, gun emplacements, and Tyranid terrain. With a hot wire cutter, you can get many of these things done very easily. Working with pink foam insulation boards is the best matierial, but regular styrofoam is also workable. All of the liked images were made with a hot foam cutter (in addition to some texture). I am certain you can pick this tool up at craft stores (check in the floral section) or from GW mailorder.

http://gallery.librarium-online.com/detail...hp?image_id=282

·
Registered
735 Posts
Foam cutters are the way to go, great for working on polystyrene [styrofoam] get one when you can. Just be carefull of the hot wire...WAAAGH!
Cut out your rough shape with the foam cutter then sand it smooth with a sanding block and you are done.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yeah, be carful with these hot cutting tools. I once had a knife that heated up for cutting polystyrene, but I managed to stab myself with it. It hurt like hell.

·
Cthulhu's Lovechild
1,746 Posts
I've managed to pick up the wrong end of a soldering iron when wiring up my monolith for lights.
Keep a glass of ice water handy for dunking fingers in.

·
Registered
156 Posts
proably awful if he carried on with a burnt hand. Its really hard to model with one, or is it just me?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Anyone got any idea on howto make a hotwire cutter?
Isn't it just to take a fairly long long wire of wolfram and connect this to the right amount of current?

·
Registered
156 Posts
proably not! just get a knife and cover the handle in something that doesnt conduct heat, and put it under the grill in a normal oven.

VOILA!

·
Registered
156 Posts
its a blade, that gets heated up, and it slices with porecision through polystyrene or other such materials!

I like ya avatar bornindarkness

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've always been puzzled by these things... how the hell do they work?? .... its a blade, that gets heated up
The one I possess is shaped like a jigsaw. The cutting part is a wire that gets heated up by using D-cell batterys. The heated wire 'melts' through the foam quickly with precision.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The problem is just........... how do ya make em?
The way it works is simple, you get a wire or other material with enough internal resistance to make it hot when enough power passes through it.
Wolfram thread is such a material... it's the same stuff that makes up the wire in the lightbulbs... unless you only use halogen bulbs you will know what I mean.
I think it is just to heat this wire with some maybe 20 or more volts, and that should make it hot enough... but as I have said.... I'm not sure...

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've made my own. When I get home I could post a picture of it if you want. I just used whatever I had laying around the house.

For the Base I used a flat peice of wood about a foot long. I drilled a hole at each end of it.

I had some concrete anchors just lying around ( thier basically bolts). I screwed one into each end of the board.

Then I took a small guitar string and ran it from one end to the other. The hardest part was to keep it nice and tight. You need to make sure it's tight or it will be hard to cut.

Then I ran some wire with alligator clips at the end (to attach to the bolts.) to a car battery. I clipped one wire to one bolt and the other to the other bolt to complete the ckt. Wire heats up and you have a foam cutter. Just pick up you foam and cut away.

This isn't a very mobile unit though. But works perfect for my needs.

#### l l
#### l B~~~~~~ B l
#### -------B B---l
#= battery
P= battery post
B= bolt (or whatever you use, just has to be metal
~= your guitar string or a wire capable of heating up to a high heat.....
*= your base (mine was wood, just make sure that the bolts aren't sticking out the bottom. You don't want to ground it. Otherwise that wire aint gonna get hot.)
(the lines are just the wires running to the bolts)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well after posting on how to make a foam cutter, the post re-arranged my spacing which kind of killed the diagram I made at the bottom. So just ignore the jibberish at the bottom.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
A good description I must add, and something I needed to know myself.

BUT!
I do not like your idea of posting replies to your own replies.
This is now noted down...

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just wanted people to know that that jibberish at the bottom of my last reply was jibberish because when I posted it re-arranged my words, and messed up the diagram....... go ahead and put that in your legal pad too........

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Let me enlightening you on something....
Do you see the "edit" button in the top right corner of your reply window?
Do you know what that thing does?

Consider that and you will know why we have warned you...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.