PCS - 4x GL
Infantry Squad GL Autocannon
Infantry Squad GL Autocannon, Commissar PW

Heavy Support:

Manticore

Manticore

Hydra Battery 3x Hydra

The basic idea is to take a starting position and saturate the board in fire. The lines will advance around turn 3 to take objectives. IS are intended to blob up and act as meatshields for the batteries.

·
1,648 Posts
Looks very nice, though the plasma gun in the CCS is a bit odd. Doesn't match the function of the autocannon.

Despite the S10 from the manticore I think you are lacking anti-tank. Some meltaguns/meltabombs/lascannons (in decent enough numbers) would go a long way in helping you out.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
I fear the Hydras will disappoint in in this list. Assuming the Manticores are kept in cover, they'll be the only target for enemy antitank units...and they don't have the armor to withstand that kind of attention. A pair of Russes would be better, methinks.

I see four major issues with the list. I agree with Hockeyman about the lack of antitank. At a minimum, issue meltabombs to the infantry sergeants; they aren't very reliable but would address the second issue, vulnerability to tarpit units like Dreadnoughts. The third issue is a lack of low-AP/instant death-causing weapons. How would this list defeat Plague Marines or Terminators? And the fourth is mobility. Not only is reaching new objectives an issue but the scoring unit count is low, too. (A PCS that isn't in a Chimera isn't likely to survive a game.) Trading in one of the platoons for some outflanking Penal Legions is worth considering.

As a random thought, why not include a Priest? On the charge, those blob squads will pick up an extra 15 attacks or so even if the priest himself does nothing.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
HQ:

CCS - 3x Meltagun, Regimental Standard
Ministorum Priest (3) - Eviscerator

Troops
:

Infantry Platoon
PCS - 4x Meltagun

Infantry Platoon
PCS - 4x Meltagun

Infantry Platoon
PCS - 2x Meltagun, 2x Flamer

Heavy Support:

Manticore

Manticore

I like the priest idea. Adding 13 meltaguns should add some instakilling power and close range AT.

·
1,648 Posts
Not a fan of mixing weapons on the third PCS. Some mobility would be nice to get the meltaguns to their targets (chimeras) would also take some flak off of the manticores.

At this point the only thing lackinng (IMO) is mobile troops and a way to get the meltaguns to the enemy.

I think you could keep the CCS with an autocannon (or grenade laucher) set-up near the line squads. Melta means they need to be on the move to get to their targets and at 1500 with 12 meltaguns (even if only BS3) and two S10 Ordinance shots you should be pretty good with AT.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Looks very nice, though the plasma gun in the CCS is a bit odd. Doesn't match the function of the autocannon.

Despite the S10 from the manticore I think you are lacking anti-tank. Some meltaguns/meltabombs/lascannons (in decent enough numbers) would go a long way in helping you out.
He's got light-armor covered with the 9 autocannons in 3 squads. That's plenty. What he needs is meltas in there somewhere. So I'd suggest dropping a Manticore and a Hydra for some deep-striking Stormtroopers with meltas. Or if he's willing to mount-up a tiny bit he could put his PCS squads in Chimeras w/4 x melta for 125 pts. each.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
I like the overall idea, but would make one blob mobile from the beginning, (interesting how we call platoons blobs now!:\) I would make one platoon have a Commissar, three PWs and three Melta guns. Otherwise you might get tied up quick, and you'll save some points too.

I also think the Manticores won't last long. It has been hard for me to hide indirect vehicles in the 5th ed. I might take three Russ tanks instead or no vehicles at all. Use scouting troops or deepstrikers like previously mentioned.

These troop heavy lists can be very effective, and can bog down elite lists like Mech Eldar and other IG very well. My personal experience is that they aren't too fun to play after a while and you become the bane of your local gaming group. (OMG, not the IG hoard list again!!) Movement and shooting phases are sooooo long.......

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would love to see the look of horror on my opponents face at 54 lasgun shots per unit with FRFSRF orders.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pulling the tanks makes for a more infantry list (Thanks kgoreham). I ditched the onboard artillery and added 2 stormtrooper squads. Added Marbo for chaos factor and added MoO to keep the opponent guessing.

HQ:

CCS - 3x Meltagun, Regimental Standard, Master of Ordinance, Meltabombs

Ministorum Priest (3) - Eviscerator

Troops:

Infantry Platoon
PCS - 4x Meltagun

Infantry Platoon
PCS - 4x Meltagun

Infantry Platoon
PCS - 4x Flamer

Elites

Stormtrooper Squad - 2x Meltagun

Stormtrooper Squad - 2x Meltagun

Guardsman Marbo

·
1,648 Posts
Once again the only thing I worry about how to deliver the melta-toting nuts to the enemy line. The stormies may well kill a tank or two before they die. But after that any AV13/14 will just sit back an shell you the entire game.

I also don't see the use of priests with the static combined squads and the power weapons on the Commissars.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Once again the only thing I worry about how to deliver the melta-toting nuts to the enemy line. The stormies may well kill a tank or two before they die. But after that any AV13/14 will just sit back an shell you the entire game.

I also don't see the use of priests with the static combined squads and the power weapons on the Commissars.
Deep Strike and infiltration was the basic idea for getting the stormies into anti tank range and Marbo just goes wherever he wants. MoO might get lucky one day.

The squads don't have to be in 30 man blocks, but it is nice to have the option. I figure taking both the CC upgrades and the HWT offers a great deal of flexibility for minimal cost.

The basic point of this exercise is to build a viable, if not competitive, infantry list. If it can make a green tide player cry at the same time, bonus.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Marbo isn't anti-tank.

I still think you need to mount up at least 2 PCS squads with meltas. But if you don't want tanks, then at least take 3 squads of stormies instead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts