Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have an idea I would like opinions on:

1 warphead
20-30 boyz

Pretty simple really. The warphead joins the 'uge mob of boyz. 2 chances per turn to shoot for either a free WAAAGH!!! or 'ere we go and deepstrike the whole mess.

The unit is now Leadership 12 (fearless) including the warphead!!!!

The rest of my army is 3 trukks with 12 boyz each, 2 buggies with TL launchas, wazdakka and 2 units of 7 bikes, and some lootas. I still have to tool with the points but you can see its heavy speed freak. I will prolly have to drop a trukk to make the points work but I like the idea of "that whole mob did what?"

Thoughts? Concerns? Suggestions???

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Warphead problem

Yes, that warphead is going to be powerful force. That warphead is also going to be screaming target. Any opponent that's played orks before is going to know the power of the waugggghhhh, and free waugggghhhhs are going to make that unit a primary candidate for enemy fire.

The orks in front of it, in trukks, are going to draw some fire away (or benefit from the fire taken away from them), but that in itself poses another problem. Most of your army isn't going to benefit from the free Waugggghhhs if they're stuck in trukks at the time. I'm not saying it can't work, but mixing styles like that is going to take some of the benefit away.

I'd run at least one more unit of footsloggers, preferably shoota boyz. Not only will they also benefit from the wauuuggghhhs and take pressure off the warphead, but they'll also provide much needed fire support, since your army has very little shooting in it.

I wouldn't drop a trukk, especially if you aren't planning to add another team of sloggers. I'd drop the second team of bikes instead. One team, joined up with wazzdakka, should be just fine. Save the extra bikes for the higher point games. Also, you might want to up the squad of lootas to 9 or 10. They'll be much more likely to survive that way.

Finally, although this is just my style of play, consider taking at least a single looted wagon. Slap two big shootas on it, and for 45 points total you have a screaming target that you can run in front of the rest of your army. As long as it doesn't explode, alive or dead it will provide cover for the rest of your army, and your opponent will very likely fire its weapons at it first. I usually take two, and have them provide cover for the trukks.

·
Blood Axe
526 Posts
Biggest problem with a giant group of orks deepstriking is that there are very few places to actually put them without several dying. If you take a warphead, I'd be more inclined to have a unit of shootaboyz instead of sluggaboyz. If you have a squad of 20ish that actually have a place to land where they dont all die, then consider the deepstrike. Otherwise, I'd probably just reroll, even if it's 'eadbang, just so my entire unit doesnt die.

Since you're trying to get WAAAGH's and the like, your list as it stands won't really get much benefit. Your current list is a KOS list, so there just doesn't seem much purpose for this ability in the army, as everyone's in a vehicle or can't use it. If you really do want the warphead, I'd ditch all the trukks and go for a wall of footslogging action. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Good point

Biggest problem with a giant group of orks deepstriking is that there are very few places to actually put them without several dying. If you take a warphead, I'd be more inclined to have a unit of shootaboyz instead of sluggaboyz. If you have a squad of 20ish that actually have a place to land where they dont all die, then consider the deepstrike. Otherwise, I'd probably just reroll, even if it's 'eadbang, just so my entire unit doesnt die.

That's a very good point. Remember, when deepstriking you roll 2d6 and scatter that many inches. Over the weekend, I played against a Tau player, and he found it difficult enough to pick a spot to drop 6 deepstriking stealth suits.

On the other hand, I wouldn't footslog an entire army. You should have at least one or two trukks in there, if nothing else just to help with counter-assaulting, when your enemy gets the drop on your sloggers.

Also, I've found it hard enough to fit two full units of sloggers in a deployment zone and still leave enough room for bikes, tanks and such. I have no idea how you would fit an entire army of footsloggers in your average deployment zone, especially in your larger games.

·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To Rabbit....I do have the list posted in the army section. This is more a discussion on the use of a warphead+mob of boyz. I put the quick paragrpah on the rest of the list as inevidably someone would go "depends on what else your taking".

I also do not see it as a mix of styles because with the possibility of extra WAAAAAGH(s) and deep striking, I see it as a speedy foot-sloggers. 1-3 chance per turn of getting a movement boost.

I do like the idea of shootas though as you cannot assault from deep striking.

I just love the thought of suddenly filling the opponent's side with a mob of orks :p

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Well...

To Rabbit....I do have the list posted in the army section. This is more a discussion on the use of a warphead+mob of boyz. I put the quick paragrpah on the rest of the list as inevidably someone would go "depends on what else your taking".

I also do not see it as a mix of styles because with the possibility of extra WAAAAAGH(s) and deep striking, I see it as a speedy foot-sloggers. 1-3 chance per turn of getting a movement boost.

I do like the idea of shootas though as you cannot assault from deep striking.

I just love the thought of suddenly filling the opponent's side with a mob of orks :p
Have you actually play tested it though? I'm not sure what kind of maps you're used to playing on, but the average map I play on doesn't have room for more than 10 guys to deepstrike safely, let alone 20-30.

Most likely, a large number of those guys are going to die, and regardless of the extra shooting you'll get with shoota boyz, every enemy team is going to turn around and simply shoot them to pieces. Depending on your strategy, this might actually work to your advantage, as it will take pressure off the rest of your forces. Just hold no illusion of that team's survival. Those guys are going to die.

What about grotts? If they're almost certainly going to die anyway, you might achieve similar effect with a team of grotts attached to the warphead. They won't do as well as shoota boyz, but at least you can afford to lose them.

·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you actually play tested it though? I'm not sure what kind of maps you're used to playing on, but the average map I play on doesn't have room for more than 10 guys to deepstrike safely, let alone 20-30.

Most likely, a large number of those guys are going to die, and regardless of the extra shooting you'll get with shoota boyz, every enemy team is going to turn around and simply shoot them to pieces. Depending on your strategy, this might actually work to your advantage, as it will take pressure off the rest of your forces. Just hold no illusion of that team's survival. Those guys are going to die.

What about grotts? If they're almost certainly going to die anyway, you might achieve similar effect with a team of grotts attached to the warphead. They won't do as well as shoota boyz, but at least you can afford to lose them.
Is there a unit that you do not expect to die with orks besides maybe the HQ?

My strategy is simply get in their face. Shoota boyz were chosen over slugga/choppa because of not being able to assault on the deep strike phase.

Anyways just an idea though most likely I will be mainstream speed freakz.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
True nuff

Is there a unit that you do not expect to die with orks besides maybe the HQ?
Very valid point.

Personally, even with an expendable army, I try not to leave guys standing out there on their own, with no backup, but it might work. I honestly have never used deepstriking with the orks, so I don't know what the results would be. If you give it a try in a game, let us know how it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.