Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
is Alpharius
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as you can tell my the name, I really like the Mechanicus. But also I love high technology, and who in 40k is more high tech then the Tau???

I've been kicking around the idea of starting up my own hunter cadre for a while now but honestly just like most of us I never _______ ( had the time, had the money, etc etc fill in the blank) But this Xmas that just past I could no longer use that excuse anymore as the GF got me the Tau mega-army box set. Now I new I could no longer put it off anymore and I had to take the plung in. As I had purchased the codex about a month before this was my last excuse I could use, but the put a end to that ( gee thanks alot love :| )

First thing I noticed was that wow, there shure are alot of flying bases in here!!!!! and after giving all the sprues a good washing in warm water with dishsoap and letting them dry I was confronted with the biggest decision, what colour to paint them, and what sept to go with. It took me a few days to really figure out what I wanted to do with them. I took a really good look through the codex and other books such as WD, I looked on the net for WWII german panzer cammo patterens to try and get an idea of what I wanted my army to look like.

In the end it really came down to one thing, ive never done a winter cammo patteren before or used snow flocking, so I decided to go with that. Painting a white army... wow I must of been high or drunk or something what was I thinking??!!?!?!? Well looking back at it im rather happy that I did choose to go what way.

First things first ill have to add the pics latter as I dont have a camera right now ( I hope the kid gets his out of the hawk shop soon) so I guess ill just have to post what ive done and what im doing until I can get some pics up.

First thing I assembled was the hammerhead, this was going to be my test vehicle. Im really happy with the kit, its a nice kit it doesn't have to many ugly seems or mold lines, the casting is well done on it, it fits rather nicely together so not alot of GS ugly gaps. I assembled and GSed the VERY few gaps that where present on it. After that I put together the Devilfish. Same comments as the HH. After that I did the phiriana's, im still not sold on these yet but until I get more points together ill use them as point filler.

I then put together and painted up the XV25's, I like the kit they are pimp looking models and just the right size for what they do. I painted them a black and grey scheme for two reasions, one because they are stealth suits and two because they are steathsuits =o]. I still did a winter base for them, which consisted of flocking, static grass, and snow flocking. I tried a few different ways of putting the basing materials on and I finally figured out a way that looks good to me.

Next I tackled painting up the Hammerhead, I sprayed it in white, then I painted it fortress Grey for a basecoat, nest I used multiple coats of very thinned skullwhite until I got a coverage that I liked and hid most of the brush strokes. After it thoroughly dried I masked it off with masking tape ( I think next time ill buy some artist masking tape as it is less tacky and doesnt peel off the paint =o[) and painted the exposed area's with the darkest blue I had ( moody blue I thinks or marine darkblue, it was a old cotadel paint) then after that dried I stipled on progressivly lighter coats of blue. I can honestly say that im not to impressed with the turn out of this, maybe I didn't use the colours the right way but it just looked like I crapplied drybrushed it, ill have to figure something out differently next time.
I then removed the masking tape and covered up any areas where the paint bleed through and fixed any mess-up's. After that was done I painted anything that needed to be painted black like the exaust vents and mechanicle stuff. The drones I did the same way, Then I did all the lenes red, just your typical red jewel look. darkred, blood red orange then skull white dot. They turned out --alright-- for my first time attempting to do the lenes that way.

I did the Devilfish the same way as the HH so no need to repeat it here.

After this I got a squad of pathfinders and another DF. I painted the DF the same way, and the pathfinders where painted with white armour, helmet, and gun, with grey cloth, and grey in the deep recesses of the guns. I did a red lens on the helmet, I did the bases the same way as the Xv-25's.

Next I felt like I had to start the firewarriors ( abbrv to FW's from now on.) I took them off the sprews and cleaned the moldlines off and any flashing. I then painted them grey with the intention of painting the armour white, after doing two of them I decided this was going to take forever. So I airbrushed the armour and helmets white and im going to paint the cloth area's grey. the pulserifles are going to be white just like the pathfinders pulsecarbines. Thats as far as I got on them so far, 20 of the little buggers looking at me like they need some love...sighs...

I decided to start the Sash'el next, im doing him as a 'EL with TLPR and a MP, with a Multi-tracker. I primed him white and cleaned him off the same way as the FW's. next I decided that I was going to paint him the same way at the tanks, white with blue cammo patterens. I painted the cammo area's grey then painted darkblue over them, next i've but a light glaze of enchanted blue over it for a subtle highlight, im going to work just the edges of the armour in highlight. I havent dont that many conversions on him, just his left arm was cut and turned 90* so the missle pod is on top, the Plasma guns will be mounted on the shoulder hardpoints, while the multi-tracker is mounted on the back just above the round 'shield' part in the middle of the back, ive also added some additional drone antena's to the head to make it look more 'commanderishy'

Well thats as far as I have gotten so far, oh yeah, ive also assembled the phirina's but not painted them yet. So until next time when I can HOPEFULLY get some pic's up and on here..
PS I think my next purchase will be 3 broadsides, im thinking of painting them totally different more like the GX-9900 DoubleX from AfterWar Gundam X... heh... anime FTW!!

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Yay, another convert to the Greater Good! The Tau are the whole reason I'm in this hobby now, though my 40K leanings are on hold while I frantically try and paint a Vampire Counts army.

What you've done sounds pretty impressive, I know I'll be hanging out for some pictures.

And have fun with the Broadsides - I love those walking railguns! (Even though I've only got one...)

Oh, and if it makes you feel any better, my Tau are predominatly white as well. I don't really know what I was thinking, either. (Wasn't drunk though, I know that much...)

·
is Alpharius
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yay, another convert to the Greater Good! The Tau are the whole reason I'm in this hobby now, though my 40K leanings are on hold while I frantically try and paint a Vampire Counts army.

What you've done sounds pretty impressive, I know I'll be hanging out for some pictures.

And have fun with the Broadsides - I love those walking railguns! (Even though I've only got one...)

Oh, and if it makes you feel any better, my Tau are predominatly white as well. I don't really know what I was thinking, either. (Wasn't drunk though, I know that much...)

I already know what I want to do with some of the broadsides, I want to have arm mounted rail-cannons... a'la Warhammer from battletech, or the Execaliber from Robotech. or make them look like the Gx-9900 Double X from after war gundam X....thanks for the reply, im going to go and paint for the greatergood right now...hope I get inspired. 8Y

·
is Alpharius
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sunday Fed3/08

Today I started my project log YEAHHH for me =o]. I also went to Michael's with the GF today, she had some knitting needles she had to return( got the wrong size) so I picked up a aluminim pallet and a Pigma color technologies Micron radiograph pen with a .20mm tip on it. Now what might this be good for you ask? Well with the tau there is lots of armour gaps and lines on there tanks. This is the ultimate cheat!!!. I just re-worked my three tanks with it and they look a hell of alot better now, nice clean crisp lines on them. I also did a trial run on a FW and the gaps on the armour look heaps better... God this project is so not going to work without a camera, im really going to have to look into getting one. Other then that the Giants won the superbowl YEAHHH!!!111!!!1111!111! ;). Thats about it, ill see if I get anything else done tonight and post it tommorow. Have a great night all.

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
I wish you luck in your journey to the Greater Good.
One thing I must say, other than the obvious kudos for painting a white Tau army, is this:
Your shas'el could be improved a little by taking a plasma rifle and replacing it with a targeting array. This way, you have the same BS and an 'O, but for cheaper.

Good luck.

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts

·
is Alpharius
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tuesday Feb 5th/ 2008 7:15pm

well today I didn't get much painting done ( same with yesterday) but im starting my most ambicious project ever, im going to make a tau outpost/city like they got on the GW page. Of course mine will NEVER look as good as theres, but hey, what can it hurt??? It should be a blast, plus it will give me something to work on when I get bord of painting the FW's up. Gawds I really hate painting tau up, they are sooooo boaring. And im really picking my brain trying to find some good conversion's to do on my 'EL. I'm thinking of getting the FW one. He's only 40$ Canadian, so not that bad I guess..... but time will tell.

@LBM, hummm....that might be worth looking into.....;) thanks for the input.

@ Everyone, thanks for the vote of confidence, I appricate the responces. Hopefully I will have some pics up here soon.

Ive made the basic outline of a communications tower for my outpost/city, think the spaceneedle in seattle or CN tower in toronto.... and im trying to figure out how to do a Hammerhead/Devilfish hanger....

·
is Alpharius
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wed Feb6/08

I didn't get jack shit done today, I had a really crappy day at work. Had a huge fight with the old lady. I am thinking about getting out of 40k....so I got alot to think about. Hopefully this is just a crappy mood I am in. If not then there will be some cheep Tau and SpaceMarine stuff on sale soon.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Oh dear. Something's gone wrong with the greater good if it's driving you out of the hobby.

Here's hoping you make the right decision by yourself, whatever that may be.

·
is Alpharius
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh dear. Something's gone wrong with the greater good if it's driving you out of the hobby.

Here's hoping you make the right decision by yourself, whatever that may be.

Yeah, I just think it was a bad day yesterday :? next tuesday the kid is getting his camera outta hawk, so I should have some pics by then hopefuly. And honestly, who am I kidding? I love painting, even if I never play a game with them ill still have fun painting them up. One more question, im having some problems thinking up conversions for the Tau, any idea's . Other then Battlesuit convsions....:?

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Well... I've seen or had a few ideas, although not very complex ones.

I saw one hobbyist make a few of his fire warriors into a kind of honour guard for his Ethereal (which he then didn't use in his army) - he gave them pennants or ribbons or something on their pulse rifles. Something like so...

The other idea is one I've had myself. Given the background to pathfinders (operating ahead of the main force, designating targets for others) I thought of modelling them like a special forces group, giving them extra pouches on their backpacks and armour, re-breathers on their helmets, additional camouflage - basically trying to make them look like they're a self-sufficient unit operating close to enemy lines. You're welcome to borrow the idea if it appeals to you.

The other thing you could do is just try and vary the poses of the models so you get a kind of dynamic within the unit. Maybe having them sneaking (could you model them so they're all crawling?), or scouting, or receiving ot relaying orders while the rest of the unit holds off the enemy...

Hope this provides some inspiration.

If you need a little more, this website may help: Eastern Empire. As well as the guys own army, he has links to some other Tau armies, which all look quite impressive. Though I'm not sure if many feature a great amount of Fire Warrior conversions.

Still, you might get some ideas. Good luck!

·
is Alpharius
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow Brett, thanks for the wonderful post. Its posts like that that keep me loving LO so much. I got some more parts for my Tau hangerbay, it was a bunch of hollow roundstock, I was thinking for holding up the walls, and for looks, that the Tau wouldn't use gurders and wideflange beams like the imperium ( and humans today). Im still working away on painting up the FW's when I get the chance. Between work, being sick, the GF being sick the Grandkids being sick..... well you get the idea, there isn't alot of time for some good hobby building for the Greater Good. But the Greater Good does need this base the next time they fight the vile and evil necrons.... so the Fio will get the job done.

hopefully by next week I should have some pics up here......here's hoping :happy:

·
is Alpharius
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Monday Feb 11th/2008

Well just another small update. I'm still painting away on the FW's. Thats really about it. I'm still thinking of ways to build my hanger and FireCaste base/outpost/Cadre Hq... :?

Hopefully it will come at its usual place and time, in bed around 2:30am, when I wake up to go pee in the middle of the night and get a brillant flash of insite while trying to fall back asleep. :p

For the Greater Good :happy:

·
is Alpharius
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Feb 12th 2008/4pm

Yeahhhhh the kid finally got his camera outta hawk....so hopefully today or tommorow I should have some pics up here. Maybe that will motivate me to get my ass in gear and paint the little blueskinned buggers up faster8Y .

I'll put another update up latter tonight :happy:

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Cool! I'll be looking forward to that. The hanger bay sounds particularly interesting.

Hopefully it will come at its usual place and time, in bed around 2:30am, when I wake up to go pee in the middle of the night and get a brillant flash of insite while trying to fall back asleep
Isn't this how all the best ideas happen? :?;?8X:z:forget:

Wow. I didn't know you could detail the thought processes with emoticons...

·
is Alpharius
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wed Feb 13th/08 9:09pm

YEAHHHHH1!!!!11!1!11!!! its finally done, I finally got some pic's of my Cadre. I'm rather happy with the way the colour's are turning out, I just really have to put some more effort into doing a good job not just a fast job on my painting. One thing im finding I dont like about the Tau is how'clean' the lines of the suits and vehicles are. Sooooooo, the one suit I had done up as my "Sash'el" with Twin-Linked Plasma guns, Missle Pod, Hard-wired Multi-Tracker, I think I just might 'loose' one of the weapons and try converting a more dynamic looking Sash'el. I have heaps of anime model kits laying around, and lots of old bits and so forth, also I have plastic card, so im shure something will 'hit' me for insperation.... and if I don't have what im looking for, I'll just make it 8Y

View attachment 336

So here is Fred the Sash'el...... like I said im not to happy with him at the moment. I dunno why he looks like the Fio Caste needs to give his suit a heaping ammount of TLC....
What I would like to do is make him look more 'Mecha' more anime looking, not like a gundam or a Valkarye or anything like that........(shifty) maybe some XV-88's that look like the GX-9900 Double X from After War Gundam X....;Y

View attachment 338

Here is my pathfinders, im rather happy with the way they turned out, they look alright. Not my best paint job's but ive done worse ... :D

View attachment 337

here is my stealth team ATM, I really like this model and I really like the way these guys turned out, I want to do more of them ASAP. I would like to eventually have the 'uberstealthteamofdeath' unit with shield and marker drones attached...

View attachment 335

This is my HammerHead, I really like the way it turned out. I am happy with this tank. The only thing I dont like about it was that the mottling looks more like cheep drybrushing, im going to have to work on the colours and so forth.

View attachment 334

And now we come to the poor FireWarriors....god these guys suck to paint.... I hate them, I really do. I first primed them white then painted them grey with the intention of painting the armour and helmet white..... well...that was silly of me wasn't it???? :rofl soo what I did was airbrushed the armour and helmet white again and decided to paint any overspray grey. This was a MUCH better approach. So that what I did with the 20 of the little buggers that I got.

I also have 3 phranha's that im using as point filler because I dont know what to do with them. I really need to get some games in to see what workes and what doesn't..... soon I hope to add a squad of 3 XV-88's. I also want to pick up the rapid whatever its called box from Apoc, the one that has all the suits in it.

So well, there it is. Its not much but hell its mine, and its only going to get bigger. The Greater good is expanding in these parts....who knows what the Fio will come up with next??? Maybe a whole Cadre Headquarters/base/city ... who knows.... ;) 8Y

·
Registered
361 Posts
hey, that looks really good, I like the shas'el suit but the stealthers could use a little bit of white armour to fit in with everyone else. still, some really nice looking work there.

P.S. Taritor!! *shakes fist menacingly*

Reactions: Deadstar_MRC

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Ha! Fire Warriors look funny without arms!

But the rest of the army looks awesome. Love those Stealthsuits, and the Pathfinder with his binoculars looks cool as well. You just know he's going to be the first one to get shot, though.

For Fred the Shas'el - would a couple of black lines on the edges of the armour (things like the shoulder pads and helmet) make a bit of a difference?

Just an idea...

Nice work, though. Makes me want to go back to my Tau! Oh, if only I could find the time... (And wasn't placing priority on my Vampire Counts)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.