Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, i'm making a na'vi force and decided to right some 40k rules for them (wood elves rule suffice for now in fantasy). So here they are:

Forces of Pandora
¬¬¬Na’vi Warrior.......12pts
Ws3, Bs4, S4, T3, W1, I4, A1, Ld7, Sv-

Squads of 5-20

Infantry

Fleet
Wild Cunning- Na’vi do not roll difficult or dangerous terrain tests.

May upgrade a Warrior into a (sergeant/exarch) for 8pts
Na’vi (sergeant/exarch) ....... 13pts
Ws4, Bs4, S4, T3, W1, I4, A2, Ld9, Sv-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Na’vi Bow S6 Ap4 Assault 1, Any rolls of a 6 to hit with a na'vi bow automatically inflict a wound - no separate to wound roll is needed. Counts as a close combat weapon

(or)

Na’vi Bow SX Ap4 Assault 1 Poisoned (3+) Rending, Counts as a close combat weapon

Banshee (and rider).......30pts
Banshee and warrior: Ws3, Bs4, S5, T4(5), W2, I5, A2, Ld8, Sv-

Squads of 3-10

Banshee count as cavalry but move 12” in the deployment phase and can still move 12” in the assault phase, even if they did not charge.
Deep Strike
Rending
Evasive
Warrior has a Na’vi bow.
Furious Charge

Direhorse (and rider)....... 25pts
Banshee and warrior: Ws3, Bs4, S4, T4(5), W2, I4, A3, Ld7, Sv-

Squads of 5-15

Cavalry

Furious Charge

Hammerhead Titanothere.......150pts
Hammerhead Titanothere: Ws3, Bs0, S7, T7, W3, I3, A3, Ld8, Sv4+ (or T6 with 4+?)

Squads of 1-3

Monstrous Creature

Furious Charge
Fleet?

Hellfire Wasp.......9pts per base (about, maybe less and maybe more)
Hellfire Wasp: Ws1, Bs0, S2*, T2, W4, I1, A4 Ld5, Sv-

May include 3-10 bases

Swarm, move as jetbike

*poison, always wound on a 5+

Thanator.......120pts
Thanator: Ws4, Bs0, S5, T5, W3, I6, A4, Ld9, Sv5+

Squads of 1

Monstrous Creature

Moves 12” (or fleet?)

Viperwolf.......11pts
Viperwolf: Ws3, Bs0, S4, T3, W1, I5, A2, Ld7, Sv-

Squads of 10-30

Beast

Woodsprite.......24pts
Woodsprite: Ws0, Bs0, S0, T1, W1, I1, A0, Ld10, Sv-
(wargear upgrade for Na’vi and maybe some other stuff))

May use all Psychic powers in a turn or only one without a psychic test:
Warp Presence of Eywa- Enemy psyches roll test on 3D6
Mental Presence of Eywa- All units within 12” become fearless
Physical Presence of Eywa-All units within 12” gain a 6+ Cover Save

I've playtested current units once so far and they have a very niddy feel as they have no transports and all about getting quite close with cheap guys and MCs. They die easily so maybe stealth, which means they'll be hard to play but could work.
Unit names are from http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Creatures
What do you think?

·
I hate Ultramarines
1,297 Posts
Na'vi are 10' tall and meant to have a Kevlar like skeleton. Space Marines (going by this Philverse: Space Marine Morphology) are at their tallest 8'. So I think that the Na'vi warriors more than deserve T4.

Anyway, it may be worth having Catachan style rules for the army. I'm guessing you have an idea what i mean, the whole +1 to cover etc. It may even be worth taking something from the Wood Elves. For example, at the start of the game roll D6. Place this many pieces of terrain classed as trees.

Sorry if what i'm saying is all over the place, haven't slept for the past 24 hours so i'm rather tired lol.Will write something more coherent tomorrow

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get what you mean. I thought the na'vi for a long ime however one scene kept coming back to me. The bit where the future chieftan jumps into the shuttle and gets killed by 2 machine gun hits. And this is a machine gun from about 100 years at the most from now that looked suspiciously like one today, which is at the most S3 in 40k. So yes they can fall 1000ft and survive but against weapons, they crumble, bones and skin very different things. Hmm.... T4/3, I'll se what other people say although I think they may be raised to T4 eventually.

I like the catachan idea and the wood elf one, both would fit (note it would be jungle terrain rather than forest for the wood elf bit).
Thanks and please keep critisicms and comments coming.

·
Registered
348 Posts
About the touhgness problem, I would say T4 definetly, they absolutely HAVE to be tougher than regular "umies" or bio-matter as I call them :p
I would add some elite units, such as veteran hunters or the like, give them the pathfinders rule from Codex: eldar and make them ignore cover, as for the bow, I would make it S5 ap4,
"24" or "18" range, and give the poisened rule to the veterans, maybe even give them poisened ccw as well?
at any rate ill have some more suggestions later on but for now I have to leave, I bid you aduie (oh please is if id be able to type that correctly)

·
Scourge Lord
1,638 Posts
The poisoned bows are better than the S6 ones, since the arrows bounced harmlessly off the vehicles in the movie (except when they were traveling faster than terminal velocity).

Sergeant/Exarchs could be called Huntmasters or something along those lines.

I agree they should be T4. Maybe even S5 (bump to 14 pts/model). And I'm liking RobtheGuru's Catachan/Wood Elf ideas.

·
I hate Ultramarines
1,297 Posts
I was thinking that maybe it'd be worth planning the points cost, stat line and rules for a basic Na'vi warrior and then from that it can make creating other Na'vi based units easier.

So what I was thinking was(obviously this is up to your own discretion):

...Na’vi Warrior --// 11pts

Warrior: Ws3, Bs4, S4, T4, W1, I4, A1, Ld7, Sv6+
Elder: Ws3, Bs4, S4, T4, W1, I4, A2, Ld8, Sv6+

Composition: 10-20
Unit Type: Infantry
Weapons: Bow
Special Rules: Omatikaya

-May purchase spears for 5 points per model (if one model has spears, the entire unit must have them)
-May upgrade 1 model to clan elder for 10 points
-Clan Elder may purchase Greater Bow for 10 points

Omatikaya(army wide rule for Na'vi based units): A Na'vi clan who have resided in great forests for millennia. As a result they know exactly how to move and hide while in forests. Any model with this rule counts as having the move through cover and stealth rule while in forest/jungle terrain.

Bow: 24" <---> S4 <---> AP- <---> Assault X, Poison (3+)

Greater Bow: 24" <---> S5 <---> AP- <---> Assault X, Poison (2+), Rending (4+)

Spears: Unit gains furious charge

Assault X works in the same way as Nids, Attack characteristic = X

Anyway here is what I was thinking about the forest rule:

Omatikaya Clan: At the start of the game roll 2D3. Place this much forest/jungle terrain down at the start of the game. Terrain should be no bigger than 6" in any dimension. Terrain may not be placed in your opponants deployment zone and no piece of this terrain must be within 6" of more than one other piece.(The last part is purely to stop a massive line forming across the front of your opponants line to block LoS lol)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good ideas, they've helped a lot.
From now on Na'vi are T4.

Bow, S4, Ap4, Poison 4+ (for troops)
Great bow (AT), S6, Ap4, Poison 4+ (for elites, thewse na'vi will also be Ws4, Bs5, (and can purchase a 5+ armour save for 2/3pts per model).

(May use strength or poison). Please explain assualt x to me as i've only skimmed through nids and not sure what you mean.

I'll use the spear upgrade, I'm short as it is on options for them.

I'm currently working on chieftans of the tribes for different things (flatlands= direhorses troops; island place = banshee troops, omaticaya = something like; place a bit of jungle terrain per each non MC etc. etc.).

Thanks for comments and keep them coming.

p.s. this bit should be in the modelling thread but has anyone got any ideas for what to use as a base for banshee and direhorse. The Na'vi are just GS with maybe a GW dagger or somethig their mounts are just too big. Thanks

·
I hate Ultramarines
1,297 Posts
You replace X with the models base attack characteristic. So from the statline i wrote a basic Na'vi would get 1 shot where as a Na'vi Elder would get 2 shots.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the sound of that, may put it in.
On a side note; navi elites would have 3+ poison and be 15/16pts (maybe more).

Just to clarify in case this comes up, Na'vi have no armour save because they have NO armour. Orks can claim maybe a random sm head or piece of metal. Na'vi armour = thong and strap made out of flexible bark.

Finally; how do all the other units look? Na'vi are not the only part of the forces of Pandora.
Also I have ideas of where the units go in the force organisation chart but I want to know what other people think before my choice changes their mind, so please post your opninion on which unit where.

Thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
if the hammerhead titan is what im thinking it is (the big rhino like creatures) then they deserve better the a 4+ save

1 - 11 of 11 Posts