Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the first of my 3 forgeworld rhinox riders. Hope you like it ;)

closeups

the face - he won't be winning a beauty pageant any time soon :D

the gnoblar

his fancy dragonhide saddle - and ofcourse, a piece of meat

gnobdog and the helpless victim

the victim - cartoonstyle

gnobdog

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
I can't say I care for the model but that's not your fault. A lot of the brown looks very flat and it all looks to be of the same colour and ergo material. A highlight for each of the brown areas would really help the look of the whole piece.

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, the brown is scorched brown -> dark flesh wash -> bestial brown highlight. It looks much flatter on the pics then IRL, but I could always add another highlight 8Y

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
Ah... FW makes nice models... and when they are painted accordingly to the high detail standard they always look better! 8Y

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And here's the second one, though still WIP, which will be the bellower (i.e. musician). I'm trying to come up with another good idea for the base, that's why he isn't based yet. I'll add pics of the base when it's finished ;)

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Fine work, Mr. arison devil. If I may make one suggestion about your second model. The skin is too monotone. This isn't a problem in the first model, since there's plenty of other bits and pieces that have been painted around his chest and arms. However, in the second model, the skin is the dominant feature, and so it needs a little more detail. I'd suggest a quick sweep of a very diluted wash. Flesh wash might work or brown, diluted something like this: 1/5 (wash/water). It might take several coats, but that's the point; you won't over-wash your model.

Great work.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Really like both the models, especially the fur on the Rhinoxen(? Plural) but have to agree with Rabbit on the skin on the rank and file rider, the flatness of the skin overpowers the rest of the model and draws attention from it, with some simple highlights on the "muscle" would make the good model great. :)

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I'll start experimenting a bit with the skintone on one of my regular bulls - the rider has actually already gotten a tanned flesh wash in the recesses, making it look like real skin IRL, but I'll see what I can do to make it work better on pics 8Y

@ david - here's what I'm planning with the base since you're so curious :D

I'll use some leftover bitz from my building set ;

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
finished the base :) - I'll probably start working on the standard bearer tomorrow ;)

the unit so far

a close-up of the musician's back - it's not as flat as it seemed on the further away pics.

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
OMG... Just saw, actually observed, something... the teeth look so real... can you make a tutorial out of it?

The base is kind of simple... ok not so simple, but I think you get what I mean... it looks like simple in front of the model.

Just a proposal. I don't know if it is the light or the model itself but the riders would benefit of a very watered down Flesh wash... so I think!

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
are you talking about the rhinox teeth? They're very simple;
graveyard earth
bleached bone over it
very watered down brown ink wash

and that's it :)

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
are you talking about the rhinox teeth? They're very simple;
graveyard earth
bleached bone over it
very watered down brown ink wash

and that's it :)
Thanks arisen... yes I was referring to the rhinox teeth and sorry for not being too clear. And I thought they had many layers between the stages... ;Y

1 - 20 of 39 Posts