Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just leafing through the Space Wolf Codex and I realised that they are able to field four of these mighty beasts in a 1500pt game. The army list would look a little something like this:

Logan Grimnar

3 Terminator Wolf Guard
4 Terminator Wolf Guard with Land Raider transport

Land Raider
Land Raider
Land Raider

You'd split the Wolf Guard up into units of 2/2/2/1. Logan Grimnar would join the last one and suddenly you have four scoring Land Raiders. The points left over would be spent on LR upgrades such as Extra Armour and Multi-Meltas. There wouldn't be much point in upgrading the Wolf Guard as any small amount of bolter fire would take them out. They should probably be kept inside the Land Raiders at all times.

Anyway. I'm considering taking this up as a modelling project. With only eight infantry models and four tanks, there's a huge scope for personalising and converting each one of them. Any ideas for themes?

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
IIRC you can get one for each Termie squad and one for each HS slot, adding to a potential total of 6. (Min. troop choices and HQs go in teh open Land Raiders.)

·
Registered
350 Posts
In a tourney you might get some good luck on armour pen and win some games because anything not anti-tank is useless. On the other hand, if I was to play you casually and see you pulling 4 LRs out of your bag I would just make some quick adjustments and probably have a merry old time popping your 4 models on the table which only output 8 shots at long range. I think a taylored 1250 list of many Devastaters and some assualt squads could beat this. You'd have trouble doing anything to large squads of anti-tank infantry. I'd love to see this list in action against IG chimera S6 shot spam which does exactly nothing to you. Just pop his anti-tank tanks and hope that Meltas don't get to you.

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're right of course. But very few armies (bar Dark Eldar and Falcon-heavy Eldar maybe) are able to deal with four AV14 vehicles. Chimelta-spam IG could pose a threat but the idea is to take out those Chimeras first. After that, you're simply able to out-range the 12" Meltaguns while maintaining focused fire. You can always hold in reserve and then roll on to the board on Turns 2-4.

In objective games, not much is going to be able to budge a couple of LR's. You can simply tankshock on to an objective and move everything out of the way. In Kill Point games, the squishy stuff is protected by AV14 and I'm only bringing 7-8 KP's anyway. Castling would be the order of the day.

I don't know. I think it would be fun to try. Very hit-or-miss army.

·
Registered
260 Posts
IIRC you can get one for each Termie squad and one for each HS slot, adding to a potential total of 6. (Min. troop choices and HQs go in teh open Land Raiders.)
Hmmmm... not sure if you can do that. From what I can understand, only one WG unit can take a Land Raider, so the number of 4 total seems correct.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You're right of course. But very few armies (bar Dark Eldar and Falcon-heavy Eldar maybe) are able to deal with four AV14 vehicles. Chimelta-spam IG could pose a threat but the idea is to take out those Chimeras first. After that, you're simply able to out-range the 12" Meltaguns while maintaining focused fire. You can always hold in reserve and then roll on to the board on Turns 2-4.

In objective games, not much is going to be able to budge a couple of LR's. You can simply tankshock on to an objective and move everything out of the way. In Kill Point games, the squishy stuff is protected by AV14 and I'm only bringing 7-8 KP's anyway. Castling would be the order of the day.

I don't know. I think it would be fun to try. Very hit-or-miss army.
Drop Pod army would ruin that idea though I think. Can't stay out of range when a couple Sternguard squads equipped with Combi-Meltas and Melta-Bombs and some Multi-Melta Dreadnoughts deep strike right next to you.

I do like the idea of a Land Raider army though, at least in an aesthetic and badass sense.

·
Registered
252 Posts
A salamander army with 9 multimellta attack bikes would waste this list. Usually take 6 in a 1500 pt list I might make room for 9 if you pulled these out.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Speaking for myself, I don't design any list without asking myself, "How would I handle a Land Raider or two?" The additional difficulty of killing two more LRs is balanced by not having to face much of anything else. I've faced off against 3-LR lists and done well; they just aren't the threat if they aren't full of passengers.

·
That Which Has No Time
1,451 Posts
It's kind of a hit/miss-list. A lot of armies can't deal with it (though you won't wreck them, but you will win), other armies, though, would have no problem dealing with this list.
[My 1500 points bikers carry enough fast-traveling (multi-)meltas that are hard to take down, and the 1500 airborn IG I am building will have six vendettas with five veteran squads and one platoon command squad, mostly armed with meltas. Thus, either way: I'd be on the lucky side against this list. Considering the other armies in my gaming group, though, they mostly do not carry enough high-power anti-tank to deal with four land raiders, so I guess the list would work more often than not?]

Pretty cool idea anyways, Ravendove! :) Though rather expensive money-wise, as Kelter Skelter has been attentive enough to note. If you can afford it for a modeling project: congratulations! You got yourself a nice show-off army.

@ those who plan on maxing out the number of land raiders further: it will be hard to do without going over the 1,500 limit...

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
@ those who plan on maxing out the number of land raiders further: it will be hard to do without going over the 1,500 limit...
True dat. we calculated it as working at 2,000 points for max LRs. Never thought about paring it down 500 points. That's two landraiders at least.

It is a hit/miss army, using the strategy known as overload - attempting to flood a niche unit with too many targets and deny others targets. In this case, the target type is superheavy armor (as opposed to the armor class for apocalypse, Super Heavy), and the niche is (predictably) anti-superheavy, such as Meltas, broadsides, fire prisms, brightlances, etc. However, in this day of mech armies, trying to overload the melta units is not cost-effective in any way. LR spam for its own sake is an idea past its time.

However if you, like me and many others, just love the tank for being smexy (and hard beyond fairness), then by all means, take it! It's pretty scary to see on the other side of the field (but instagibbing it with a lascannon makes the panic totally worth it) - my first game ever we scrimmaged my buddie's templars (which he played Codex Marines) and my anti-armor dreadnought shat coherent light all over his land raider and anti-infantry dreadnought, turns one and two (respectively).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just to let you know you can't split your WGTs off like that they would have to be assigned to another unit to be split. Cool idea though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That would be one nasty elite space wolve army most people will have a hard time dealing with it and shooting that many lascannons first turn is nasty two nice idea man :D mech armies are the way to go heavy mech sounds even better.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
I will do you 1 better, but using Daemonhunters:

Grey Knight Brother-Captain - XX

Inquisitor - 2x mystics - 282
Land Raider

Land Raider

5x Inquisitorial Stormtroopers - 2x flamers - 60

Grey Knight Land Raider
Grey Knight Land Raider
Grey Knight Land Raider Crusader

1500pts

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will do you 1 better, but using Daemonhunters:

Grey Knight Brother-Captain - XX

Land Raider

Land Raider

Grey Knight Land Raider
Grey Knight Land Raider
Grey Knight Land Raider Crusader

1500pts
Yikes! It appears I have been one-upped.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Vehicles themselves are never scoring units, only (potentially) their passengers.

·
That Which Has No Time
1,451 Posts
Vehicles themselves are never scoring units, only (potentially) their passengers.
;) I don't think anyone would have misunderstood that, but thanks for pointing it out!

Even in Ravendove's list -where the land raiders "are all scoring"- most of them are bought as heavy support and thus wouldn't be scoring themselves anyway, even if vehicles could be scoring - so no worries, I wasn't thinking that. What I meant, of course, was land raiders transporting scoring units.

And while we're picking nits: the rulebook says vehicles can never be scoring, nonetheless Dark Angels' Ravenwing has scoring landspeeders (when bought as part of a Ravenwing Attack Squadron) because codex overrules rulebook. (Not because the landspeeders there are part of a troops choice which dedicated transports often are too, but because a sentence in the codex says they count as single-model scoring units. Of course that was written in the context of fourth edition, where anything with the exception of independent characters, immobilized vehicles, and squads reduced below 50% strength, was scoring, but by RAW they now score in fifth edition.) So there are, in fact, scoring vehicles...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts