Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok a guy from has got into 40k and just got a necron army. I haven't played necron very much so I have some questions.

Every game we have played so far my friend ends up staying in his deployment zone and watching his warriors get assaulted for 5 turns while he tries to do what he can with destroyers, tomb spyders and flayed ones.

I dont know If his strategy is all wrong or his list is...

It looks like this.

Nightbringer

Necron destroyer lord

10 warriors

10 warriors

10 warriors

10 warriors

2 tomb spyders

3 destroyers

10 flayed ones.

The list looks decent enough for me but it seems like he is very ineffective during game play. His army is resillient but it lacks ability to achieve it's goals once it's troops get gummed up in close combat. Then his HQ and destroyers get picked of 1 by 1.

Any Strategy or List suggestions wuold be very helpful so I can make this guy competitive. (and yes I think he needs a monolith and wraiths too)

·
Registered
804 Posts
This should probably be under army lists but I can see the main problems here.
1 - His list is split directly into 2 strategies.
2 - He splits his army on the field.

He should decide to either go combat OR ranged. Not this strange mix of both. What will end up happening is 720points of his army (warriors) will do nothing but get killed because they have no support and as a result the rest of his army then has to deal by itself. Which it can't and as a result will loose. If he takes 40 warriors he needs a monolith and a necron lord with a res orb. If he wants to go combat he should drop 20 of his warriors and add 20 flayed ones. Also hes severely lacking in destroyers if he is using a ranged list. He needs at least double that. I would go for something like the following

Ranged:

Lord (orb)
40 Warriors
6-12 destroyers
7-10 Immortals
1-2 Monoliths

Combat:

Nightbringer
Lord (orb)
20 Warriors
20-30 Flayed Ones
1-3 Wraiths
2-6 Tomb Spyders

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
Well well well, seems we have a thread playing around in the wrong pen.
*Lifts up thread and hurls it into the "Necron Army Lists" pen*
heavy little sucker that.

In the future keep those in the correct spot if ya would, thanks.

Alzer

What points is this at? Seems like a larger game. Otherwise I would advise your friend against taking two HQ, especially if one is the Nightbringer.

I feel this list could work, it's not optimal but it's passable. Since you seem to be in a friendly setting I'll work with what he's got.

First off, he needs to figure out the phalanx formation. Keeping warriors together makes them much more survivable. Also despite seeming like they should be hidden you NEED to use your warriors, they are a huge chunk of our army, and can't just be left behind to get eaten so we phase out. Gauss Flayers aren't the best weapon out there, but enough shots will down anything in the game.

For other units, The tombspyders, and Nightbringer. Those are his hard hitters, their job is to crash into the enemy and start beating things down. Also their job is to take hits, as they are the toughest units he has.

Flayed ones should be sneaking around back and finding soft elements, like sniper squads or the like, to chop up with their claws, alternatively they can hunt tanks and artillery. I would split them into two squads of 5 and then walk them around next to eachother. This way one squad can soak shooting and if they're wiped out they join with the second squad. Flayed Ones are not a frontline combat unit, they can't punch through heavy armor well enough to tangle with most armies like that.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The list seems alright but the main problem is that he has no anti tank fire power, i use a similar list in 1.5k and it is pretty good providing that you move around and stay together for support resurrection orbs are very handy! He should also remember that the nightbringer should try and assualt any unit that comes close. But what opponents does he face?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.