Leman Russ
Heavy bolter
Extra armor

Leman Russ
Heavy bolter
Extra armor

Grenadiers
Sharp Shooters

I have been playing a few games against my friend's eldar. He uses a squad of 4 bikes with a warlock usually with fortune
He also plays with 2 skimmer tanks (one of them as a transport the other as the shooting version) and i cant kill them
Those are the main threats i find in his army

I have played multiple games against him and have not had anything even close to a win and most games are just him rerolling 3+saves or me rolling a 6 and a 1 glancing vs his tanks. So i NEED to know what i have been doing wrong against him... is it my list?

Are the cannons on leman russes good for takeing out eldar bikes/eldar infantry? that seems to be the only thing that even comes close to hurting his troops.

If you guys need more info just ask

·
Registered
126 Posts
I dont really see how your losing ?, i mean against the bikes i would say the best weapon was a heavy bolter, cause more shots, but a auto cannon will do just fine.

The tanks, again are just weight of fire

I'd advise prehaps heavy bolter sponsons on the leman's, that should help with troops

Against the tanks my best advise would be to focus all your fire on 1 and then move on only onces its dead, split fire never works (the codex even says so), thats just a guess at what might be your problem, i dont know what you do.

Spread out too, so you can get maximum shots on his tanks, set up good fire lines in other words. Use cover for the fire support, increases there survivability.

I mean how do you try kill the skimmers of doomy doom?

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
ok your russes are more than capable of completely destroying his bikes, he doesnt get a save unless he turbo boosts against them and if he does turbo boosts, then the bikes cant shoot or assault.

as for the serpent and the falcon, you have sufficient auto cannon to deal with them, pick one, shoot it until it is stunned, then shoot the other, simple, sooner or later you will get a better result and again in the mean time he cant touch you

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
ok your russes are more than capable of completely destroying his bikes, he doesnt get a save unless he turbo boosts against them and if he does turbo boosts, then the bikes cant shoot or assault.
yea, using the battle cannon is the way to go to avoid that fortune-buffed 3+save they get, which unfortunately you're killcount gets limited to how much he spreads his guys out in a line to avoid the template, after that you gotta brave through that fortune mopping up what's left after each battle cannon blast.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Contrary to most advice, do not attempt to shoot eldar skimmers until they are destroyed. Stunning, even shaking (especially a falcon) or immobilizing them is all you have to do. Neuter their ability to greatly influence the game and you have gone a long way.
to take out the bikes either try to hit them with a battlecannon, or maybe some Hb's or autocannons. An autocannon will instantkill his farseer (which is what I assume you mean by the warlock with fortune - if he is actually running a warlock with fortune then his list is illegal.) if he fails a save, and HB's eat through most eldar units. It's all about target priority and not getting distracted by shiny big skimmers or wraithlords - and especially avatars - they are slow enough to be largely ignored.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok ill just make sure i keep my goals in mind during my shooting phase.

My friend has been playing against my imperial guard for half a year now so he knows exactly what to expect compared to the few games i have played against his eldar (and he changes his list around a lot) Eldar are just a wierd race to play against. The first game I saw his squad of 5 bikes and thought... well they look weak, should die eaisly, ill save them for last...

Thanks for all the help everyone!

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Well, if you haven't really changed your list in that long, mix it up a little - he obviously knows how you are going to play it and has come up with effective counters

·
2,399 Posts
Well, if you haven't really changed your list in that long, mix it up a little - he obviously knows how you are going to play it and has come up with effective counters
I'd reccomend starting with Heavy bolters, then adding more Heavy bolters, then maybe a hellhound. what type of scenery are you playing? are you doing it as per the book? is there many LOS blocking terrain pieces?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We do use the average amount of terrain recommended in the book

About how big should the average LOS blocking scenery be? we also use a good amount of 5+ cover save (but he never uses them so it is to my advantage)

Now that i think about it a few of my worst games against him did involve a very large LOS blocking piece ov scenery (a large thermus like thing on its side) we were playing on a 4x4 board and the thermus was in the very middile (we measure) to make it fair. he won with a victorious slaughter

Thanks for the help ill try to see if we can use less LOS blocking terrain

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
A large LoS blocking terrain piece smack bang in the middle of the board really favours fast and assaulty armies over more defensive shooty ones. Why? Because it protects so much of the board from long range firepower.
We usually have a couple of smaller (approx 6" wide by 10" long) LoS blocking area terrain pieces - such as ruined buildings not in the middle of the board, but to the front of both deployment zones, and generally more towards the sides than the centre, this gives an assaulty army some cover to advance behind and also blocks some firing lanes, but doesn't really favour one side over another.

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
i bet he wouldn't expect you to field two units of rough riders with power lances to blast his jetbikes into hurting (which is about nothing pointwise in the ig army list). just cause someone has played your army doesn't mean he can nullify what you will and can do to mess him up.

a fortuned-unit might grant survivability, but that doesn't make it any more deadly... and if it doesn't have saves to re-roll it won't matter, on the same hand, too many saves to re-roll it still wont matter, unless he has the luck of the devil, in which case throw holy water on him to see if he burns from selling his soul to the devil for it. if he does burn call that exorist on your speed-dail, and if he doesn't burn, try a wooden steak in the heart. lol

but seriously though... vampires are no laughing matter.

anyways, no army nullifies any tactic another army can come up with... unless your grey knights vs demon-heavy chaos, than really what were you expecting to overcome the op stacked buffs against your daemons.

Reactions: sendaf

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
seriously I really dont understand why you are struggling, dont let him isolate your units, use cover for yourself, use your russes to take out the bikes and the auto cannon on the skimmers, as above and as Tommo said, you are not trying to down the skimmers just stop them shooting that turn, shouldnt be a problem for you

Flamers etc as recomended by someone, are great against normal eldar on foot but against this list are pointless as you will find he mostly gets his armour save but rather more worryingly you will never get to shoot as he can stay out of their range

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.